I need your input...let's talk pastrami | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need your input...let's talk pastrami

Last post Jan 30, 2011 10:25 AM by chefly . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • I need your input...let's talk pastrami
    • Confused [8-)]
    I am SO confused! lol
    I admit I live in a small town and not very worldly here in my corner of Amish country(I am still working on my bucket list of foods to try)
    However. we had a discussion about this at work today and had a lot of fun with it along with some very adamant statements and 'huhs' about these sandwiches. I told them I know people that know a whole lot more than we seem to and I was going to ask them tonight...so here goes!

Maybe you could tell me how your area serves these?

What is the difference between a Rueben and a Rachel sandwich and a hot grilled pastrami sandwich?

What is traditionally served on say, the 'original' ?

Is pastrami a process rather than a particular meat(i.e. there is a turkey pastrami but there is beef pastrami?)

We talked and I have read so many different variations and history tonight, I am more confused that I was at lunch today...

So educate me, okay?

Thanks, Linda
    False
  • Re: I need your input...let's talk pastrami

There is a beef pastrami as well as turkey.

This might explain it better than me! Nancy

Pastrami is a popular deli meat made from a highly seasoned cut of smoked meat — usually beef. To make pastrami, one usually begins with a slab of uncooked meat. That meat is typically first pickled in a thick, salty brine solution, which creates, when using red meat, what is known as corned beef. In the United States and the United Kingdom, the marinated meat is usually boiled in fresh water after the brining stage to lift some of the salt out of the meat.

After the meat is corned and boiled, the pastrami is then seasoned and encrusted with a variety of herbs and spices, such as black peppercorns, seasoned salt, garlic, basil, and allspice. Finally, the cut of meat is smoked to infuse the flavor and aid in preservation.

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Linda,
    You wanted to know the difference between a Reuben and Rachel sandwich.

Reuben sandwich - corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, Russian or Thousand Island dress on rye bread. Grilled until golden.

Rachel sandwich - pastrami, cole slaw, Swiss cheese, Russian or Thousand Island dress on rye bread. Grilled until golden.

~~Vicki

False

Thanks Nancy and Vicki~
    It appears I was more sure of the difference between them, some of the others were correct in their statements, too. In fairness, our small area deli's consist of only turkey pastrami so I can understand why some had a misunderstanding.

I read about them tonight on the internet until my eyes blurred! Both of you nailed it.

The Reuben and Rachel sandwiches have been 'Americanized' for sure. I read a lot of history, processes, different cuts of meats, old world style serving to modern chefs trying to use their magic on them...from the east coast to the west coast and everything inbetween and they could be served differently depending on where you order them. They can be beef and different parts of that beef, turkey, goose-and I read in Utah some place adds a hamburger!and a vegetarian recipe??... piled high, skimpy and grilled, not grilled, dipped, different breads, rolls and even dipped. As for the origination, it appears maybe a Romanian immigrant but of course that is disputed.

What an amazing journey into these sandwiches I took tonight...here are some photos and recipes I found. When you click on the photo, it takes you to the site where the recipe is.

Thanks for your help...Linda
    False

Gm Linda, Be sure to use Rye Bread. Some use seeded and some use plain.  ~ Janie Yes

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Good morning  :)   All I know about pastrami is that DH prefers "red" over "black" and he likes it fried up, with american cheese melted into it, on a sub roll with yellow mustard    :)  

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Surprise lol  Janie ~ Gm Jolene ~  lol

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Hi Linda,

My uncle owned a deli in Milwaukee when I was younger and he served the best corned beef and the best pastrami sandwiches ever. 

Good deli pastrami, real kosher stuff, is far better than turkey pastrami from the grocery store.  Kosher deli pastrami is the sandwich dreams are made of!! Can you tell I love the stuff? Lol! If you ever have the opportunity to get some (New York visit?) make sure you do. It is fatty, at least there was always a strip of fat on the outer edge, but don't think calories when you eat it.

chefly

False

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a good Rueben! But not many folks know how to make a good one!!! lol As you say, these sandwiches have been Americanized a LOT. IMHO, the worst 'improvement' was the addition of Thousand Island dressing. Sorry but to me that is so far from a real Rueben it's not funny.  Yuck! Why ruin a great sandwich by adding that? As I said, that's just MY opinion.

I make Ruebens in my panini maker. Since a really good one is hard to find and we enjoy them so much, this is most often how we get to enjoy a rueben. A few years ago, I had beef pastrami on hand, but no corned beef. I had all the other fixins' for the Rueben so went ahead and used the pastrami instead. It's just spiced up corn beef. Well, we discovered we LOVE using the pastrami over the corned beef. And you definitely have to have a good rye bread!!! Gosh!! All this talk of Ruebens and guess what I have a hankering for now!!

Thanks for bringing this to the board, Linda. I really enjoyed reading all the responses. I guess everyone has an opinion. lol When you get to take that trip here to MN, I'm taking you and the ole hippie out for one of the best sandwiches you'll ever eat. There is a German Restaurant 18 miles to the south of us that has their very own special rye bread made daily, exclusively for them. It is literally 'to die for' on any sandwich, but especially their Reubens. I was once told that Detroit had the best Reubens ever. I went, I tried and it didn't even come close to being as good as the ones at the Kaiserhoff!  Absolutely no comparison at all!!! lol

False

Kay Click for Winthrop, Minnesota Forecast

Thanks for all of you input. I am definitely going to be checking out pastrami.

I love a good rye bread, too!

Thanks again~Linda

False

Dang it, now I want a good pastrami sandwich on some Chicago rye bread. Next time I go grocery shopping I'll at least cure my rye bread craving and buy a loaf. Nothing as good as rye toast spread with butter! Mmmm.

chefly

False