Can you freeze cream cheese?.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze cream cheese?....

Last post Feb 19, 2011 6:10 AM by Motorhomegal . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can you freeze cream cheese?....

I am getting some cream cheese and would like to freeze some.  Can it be frozen? Any hints or tips about freezing, thawing or using would be gretly appreciated....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: Can you freeze cream cheese?....

Sure; I do it all the time.  The only caveat I have is that sometimes it might not be as creamy once it is thawed, so if that is a factor then don't use thawed cream cheese for that recipe.  However, for normal use it is fine.  (I stock up when it's on sale!)

False

I find it gets "grainy" which isn't the end of the world.....just make sure to thaw it in the fridge.  It has a loooooong life in the refrigerator.....ex date of MONTHS out, so you don't think you'll use it in that length of time ??  I've also found it stays good WELL BEYOND the ex date on it.

False

Marilyn

That;s so good to know.  Thank you both I appreciate you answering mme....

piggykins

False

Kraft (Philadelphia Brand) says cream cheese is freezable but the shelf life is so long that freezing shouldn't be necessary.

False

Footsie thank you.  Someone who has been a restaurant cook for 30 years and doesn't use cream cheese said it only has a shelf live of 30 days - I knew I couldn't believe it....

piggykins

False

i freeze butter, cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt ......you name it, i keep it frozen so i always have what i need .  Cream  cheese doesn't seem quite as creamy after it's thawed, but it's always worked perfectly fine in recipes.

False

Thank you CookieGrandma what a great idea! I was thinking of using it in like beef stroganoff - if I can find a good recipe.  So it would work cooking better than baking would.  I'll remember....

piggykins

False

The box it comes in will have an expiration date.....find the ones in the store with the furthest out date and go from there.....should be MONTHS FROM NOW.

False

Marilyn