Rec & Rev: Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket~~~ Absolutely to die for!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec & Rev: Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket~~~ Absolutely to die for!!

Last post Feb 28, 2011 9:32 AM by DAR lady . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Rec & Rev: Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket~~~ Absolutely to die for!!

I just finished a sandwich of Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket and man is it good! If you havn't tried it you're really missing a great dish. I have been wanting to try this for some time now but couldn't commit to cooking a whole brisket to it in case I didn't like it.I finally found a half one at Publix only 2 1/4 pounds. Just enough for a sample. I mixed up the marinade( only had 3/4 cu of Soy sauce) and letit sit in the fridge for the required time then baked it at 300 degrees. Mine took 4 1/2 hours and it was fork tender. Made a sandwich with some of it on a buttered potato roll with the top of the roll dipped slightly in the jus,and it's devine! Added some mashed potatoes too.Here's the recipe and next time i'll get a whole briskset to make, this is just not gonna last long.

PS, I just realized in reading back ovser the recipe that I acompjletely forgot to add the lemon juice. It still turned out fantastic!Stick out tongue

Pioneer woman's beef brisket

much prefer the brisket my mom always made:

instead of cooking in an enclosed smoker, it cooks slowly in a pan in the oven,

braising in a delicious liquid consisting of beef consomme, soy sauce, and other savory ingredients.

Brisket is a meat that must be cooked slowly over many, many hours.

The scientific explanation is that it takes a certain number of hours of low heat to gradually begin to dissolve the very tough

connective tissues found throughout the meat; if it’s not cooked long enough, the brisket will be unpleasantly tough and difficult to chew.

On the other hand, if you go overboard and cook it too long, the resulting meat will be dry. In my experience,

however, it’s much easier to salvage brisket that’s a little overcooked—the "jus" can rescue it nicely—

than it is to eat brisket that hasn’t been cooked long enough. So allow for plenty of cooking time. And be patient.

The fall-apart goodness of this delicious meat is worth every hour.

This brisket is delicious served with mashed potatoes, with the jus spooned over the top of both.

It’s also fabulous on toasted sandwich rolls with cheese melted over the top. And it’s great for a crowd.

Let’s dissolve those connective tissues, shall we?

The Cast of Characters:

Beef Brisket, Beef Consomme, Soy Sauce, Garlic, Lemon Juice, and Liquid Smoke.

For Brisket, I sometimes like to use these heavy, disposable aluminum numbers. Makes it easy to pop in the freezer if you want,

or to transport it to a picnic, funeral, or tailgating party.

Start by adding 2 cans beef consomme to the pan.

Now add 2 cups Soy Sauce.

about 1/2 cup lemon juice. ( use the leftover lilme juice in freezer)(If you have the bottled stuff in your fridge, that’d be just fine.)

Now peel about five cloves of garlic.

Then chop the garlic cloves finely and add to the pan

add 2 tablespoons liquid smoke to pan

Now give it a good stir…

And add the brisket to the pan, fat side up. This nice layer of cellulite will add so much delicious moisture

and flavor to the meat underneath; don’t worry, we’ll remove it after cooking.

Because I don’t want the fat to feel left out, I usually scoop up some of the marinade and pour it over the top.

Now cover the pan tightly with foil.

Now stick it in the fridge, and forget about it for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.

When you’re ready to start cooking it, just pop it into a 300-degree oven, still tightly covered.

Cook the brisket for several hours, or about 40 minutes per pound.

At that point (about seven hours for mine), open the oven door and peel back the foil.

Now, stick two forks into the meat and make sure it’s fork-tender/falling apart,

which means you can pull it apart to some degree. It may still be tough in the middle . If it is, just cover it and stick it back in for another hour. That’s what I did. My total cooking time turned out to be exactly eight hours.

When you’ve determined it’s nice and cooked, remove it from the pan and place on a cutting board.

I’m kinda tired of looking at that fat, aren’t you? It reminds me of everything that’s wrong with my bottom. So let’s get rid of it.

With a long, serrated knife, begin cutting away the slab of fat. It should be very easy to remove

Now slice the meat against the grain, or perpendicular to the natural grain of the meat.

Now you can serve it up if you’re ready to chow down. Just place a few slices on a plate…

and spoon some of the jus over the meat. It’s really tasty and it’ll keep it really moist.

If you serve mashed potatoes with it, go ahead and spoon some jus over them, too. Like, totally delish, dude.

If you like the whole barbeque sauce scene, you can certainly douse the cooked brisket with it instead of the jus.

Now. You’ve still got all those pounds of meat back there on the cutting board. Here’s what I do

Now, with a spoon, remove as much fat as you can from the pan of cooking liquid. By now much of it has collected on the top

transfer all the sliced meat that is left back into the cooking liquid

Now you can cover it tightly again and refrigerate it. Or you can freeze it, as is, until you need it. I’m freezing mine and will

serve it on Fourth of July when everyone we know descends upon our ranch to watch Marlboro Man and Tim ignite the country

side. Usually, when it’s cold more fat collects on the surface. It’s easy to remove while cold, but don’t feel like you have to ge

t it all. Then I just pop it in a warm oven and let it heat back up.Brisket. If you think you don’t like it, you’ve never had it like

this. If you’ve never had brisket, you don’t know what you’re missing.

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

• Re: Rec & Rev: Pioneer Woman's Beef Brisket~~~ Absolutely to die for!!

Well, talked me into this one. I'd like to find 1/2 of a brisket too. Bet this is just wonderful, love the fall apart meats.

Thank-you for sharing P.W. rec &  your rev.

False

This sounds delicious. I have never had briskett but you talked me right into it! Like Jill I love meat that falls off the bones - thank you....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

need to keep this one. I will definaterly be trying this!! Thanks for posting and reviewing.

False

Click for McMinnville, Oregon Forecast

You're welcome, you won't be disappointed if you go exactly as she directs. At 40 minutes per pound ( 1 1/2 hours), I stuck the fork into mine and thought , "ohh no, this is not gonna be tender", But as she directed, I put the foil back on tightly and let it cook another two hours. which made my cooking time for the 2 1/4# brisket 4 1/2 hours .And it was just right.

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

DAR lady I copied the recipe amd your note - thank you for telling us, I appreciate it....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"

I haven't tried PW recipe but I will when they come out here for summer. All others from her that I have tried always come out great so I would never be afraid to try any of hers.

Thanks for sharing the recipe~YUM

Linda

False

You're both welcome, I thought I'd let everyone know the cooking time will vary and I dont think there is such a thing as degrees of doneness such as rare, or medium. This meat has to be cooked a very long time at a low, moist heat to get it tender. I also think it could be overcooked, which was my fear, so, as soon as that meat fork slid into it easily, I removed it from the oven and as soon as it rested for a few minutes I sliced it. 

False

Thanks  Dar, I just told Mr!  I'm going to try a brisket next week !  I too have had nothing but failures ~ So I am looking forward to trying this one ~

Janie  Thanks  for sharing you Review and the  Recipe ~    Big Smile

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Janie, I had first thought to cook this in my crockpot, but then I realized all the crockpots I have get hotter than 300 degrees. Cooking at the low temp is a must for success with this cut. I think many times that is why a tougher cut of meat has been disappointing to me. So, I'm really glad I cooked it in the oven as PW instructed.

And as one other poster noted, I've never tried any of PW's recipes that have not been great. This one is no exception. 

False

Dar, I'll treat that roast  just like I do my Ribs ~  They literally fall off the bone ~  I also do them at a very low temperature. I start at 300 for about 2 hours then increase to 325 for several more hours. Turn and smear with sauce in-between hours. But the first 2 -1/2 hrs they are on their own.

I also add a pan of water under them to keep the oven air moist ~  Saw that on Food Network year ago ~  The technique came from a Man who won a Nation wide Rib contest.  Chris Lily ~  His slaw was pretty good too.  He actually took the ribs out to rest for an hour in-between roasting time as well. 

His actual roasting time was 12 hours for the contest. Imagine babysitting something in the oven for 12 hours?  Tongue Tied

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Thanks for the review, recipe and input ~ can't wait to try this ;)

False

Photobucket

"  Imagine babysitting something in the oven for 12 hours? " Tongue Tied

Never tendend anything in an oven, but when I had my smoker, I used to sit up all night to smoke ribs in it.The firebox was on the side and I had to keep the temp around 300 degrees to acquire that "fall off the bone" tenderness. I also kept a pan of water inside the smoker for that moistness. I passed that smoker on to my friend and now HE sits up all night tending it LOL

False