Great Find: Vintage Rival Crockpot Model 3104 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Great Find: Vintage Rival Crockpot Model 3104

Last post Mar 11, 2011 2:23 AM by SoCalScottishGal . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Great Find: Vintage Rival Crockpot Model 3104

Hi everyone.  I thought I'd share my unexpected find today.

I have one of those Goodwill Resale Stores near my house, so on my way home from treatment today, I stopped in there.  Actually, I was going to check out the tacky, old jewelry they have in a small front section of the store.  I have a love of bracelets, and I check sometimes to see if a piece will be there that has a style of it's own and calls my name.  My oncology nurse was showing me today a huge necklace piece with a matching bracelet she just bought from someone that searches for these kinds of things, then sells them for an overinflated amount of money.  I told her I'd fight her for it, but I didn't come home with it.  *Sigh*!  It was amazing and awesome.  A one of a kind set to behold.  LOL, I had visions of where the heck would I wear that honker necklace???  The bracelet - I would wear it taking out the garbage if I had to.

So, after checking out the tacky jewelry, they had a sterling silver bangle bracelet in there for 70-cents.  Bought it,  Cleaned it.  Wearing it.

I walked over to the junky small appliance section, and lo and behold, there was a Rival Crock Pot from the Dinosaur Age sitting on the shelf.  Price - $7.00, and today was half-price day on purple price tags.  Guess what color the price tag was, hmmmm?

It's a 4-quart cooker, which I never even knew existed.  I have an original vintage Rival Crockpot that I've had since we were first married, over 36 years ago.  I think it's Model #3100.  It's a 3 1/2 quart, but it's not oval shaped.  I still use it, and squeeze the food makings in there sometimes to make it work.  It's a truly all-day, slow, low cooker.

This one is another of the first of the Crockpots, since it's stoneware is not removable.  It's squatty, like an oval, and has a detachable plug.  It'a perfect size.  For a Crockpot that has been around since the 70's, there's no way this particular one was used more than a few times.  It was clean as could be.  It had a few hinky spots of paint chips missing, but that seems to be a manufacturing issue, not a user one.  I don't even need to scrub any grease spots off, it's that clean.

Like I need this Crockpot.  But, I couldn't let it stay there for $3.50!  It too called my name. I've already taken out some beef soup bones to justify buying my new, old Crockpot. 

So, if you are one of the people that still wish they had a "new" slow cooker like the ones that do what they're supposed to do, short of checking out garage sales, frequent these resale stores.  In fact, there was another one on the shelf, a vintage Rival, but it was the size and shape of mine at home, with a non-removable insert and plastic top.  Still, it was what someone would have wanted if in the market for a vintage Rival. They pop up occasionally on Ebay too, but they jump up in price when bidders start in, and the shipping adds a big chunk to it.

That's my story,,,,,,,,

Arlene

False
  • Re: Great Find: Vintage Rival Crockpot Model 3104

Oh Arlene,  How jealous can I be ~  Get an alarm system.  I love that Crock ~  My mother bought all of us girls one for Christmas ~  One year and swear it is the only Crock pot that I trust these days.  Needless to say that is where mine ended up ~  The biggest mistake  I have ever made ~ 

Since then I have purchased 3 and am so unhappy with all of them . I have given 2 away and just keep the one  just to have. The temps run wild and I'd never trust that thing to 6 hours of cooking.  Even on Low or warm themps.  They just don't make them that way anymore ~

I always  have my eyes looking for the Retro style ~  Mine had a brown cermatic base  and it looked  like baked bean pot.  The lid was plastic and the cord was removeable.  The outside was light beige and it felt like a heavy duty plastic/poly  of some sort. 

Enjoy it and just think of how many great meals it must have cooked.   Janie Big Smile 

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Congrats!  A lovely find!

I have one of the old ones, too...and have always loved it! 

Enjoy it...and do share any great recipes- as you have been known to do..Wink...

Margaret

False

That is a great treasure you found! 

You'd be surprised at some of the good fines you can get at a Goodwill store-- as my DM used to say, "One persons junk is another persons treasure."

Enjoy!

Lori

False

Hi Lori.  You're right about great finds.  One of my gf's found a perfect party coffee maker recently, which she used at our latest Bunco party.  It's brew size is perfect - not too large and not too small.  About 20 or so cups, I think.  In fact, I am looking for exactly the same thing and asked her where she bought it, and it turns out it was our local Goodwill.

Janie - I need this Crockpot like I need a hole in my bald head!  But I couldn't leave there without it, LOL.  $3.50!  How can you walk away from that?    It's full to the brim right now with the makings for Beef Barley Soup.

Here's my new little gem:

Arlene

False

Oh you bad girl ~  Why do I see red flashing before my eyes ~  Suddenly I have grown nails  ~~  Whats  with that Sad  (((((((((((((((((((hugs to you sweetie )))))))))))))))))))))))))    Think Pink ~    Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I have the same one you have...model #3100. It has been faithfully serving me for about 38 years and is still going strong. Won't give it up until either it or me croaks. From what I've heard these new ones are not very good temperature wise.

Good shopping. Hope you get many years of service from it.

False

LOL @ Janie!!!!!  Yes, Think Pink!!!!!

JYAM - Mine and yours look like the one in the pic, except they're not squatty like that one.  Otherwise, the color shades are the same.  Mine does have the removable insert.    I kind of prefer my "new" one because it's oval shaped and probably will be more versatile, but my original one and I have been together for a long, long time, and we're not about to part.

Arlene

False

I have an oldie but a goodie as well and really like it since nothing sticks or burns in it! (:

False

Because the design is so simple & well made, they last.  Not much to go wrong with one.

My oldest is burnt orange with a fixed liner.  

I wouldn't pass one up for $3.50 either!

False

I saw one at our resale store last week for $4. and I passed it up.  It broke my heart but I have four of them at home and I really didn't think my husband would understand if I brought another one home.  There is something about the older models that I absolutely love.  Congrats on your good find.

Janet

False

Hi Arlene-

1.  Love Goodwill stores as well as all thrift/resale stores.

2.  I have 2 stand-up crocks with non-removable stoneware and non-removable cords, both with plastic covers.  They are my prize possessions!  (never could/would put a price on them, they aren't leaving my house lol).

3.  Have a newer programmable, transportable, oval, lay-down yada-yada one and it's been nothing but a problem since the day it was bought. 

Enjoy your new found treasure.....

False
    Life is a journey, choose your path wisely, Leslie

You just can't beat the oldies but goodies.....which is why my DH keeps me around!

False

Hahaha, about the oldies but goodies!  Can't put a price on vintage jewels like us, can ya?

Arlene

False

Awesome find Arlene. I have the exact same one in my cupboard, same color even.  I also have the bean pot looking taller one that a friend gave me,  plus a newer yet still oldwhite and blue one where the ceramic insert comes out and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I always thought if I saw one in a Goodwill or thrift store or yard sale I would buy it just in case mine went down or at the very leas in case someone would need one, lol.  I bought two newer ones three or four years ago thinking I would go with them but then came to my senses and gave one to my daughter in law and the other to my single son when he moved out but I'll keep the old tried and true oldtimers any day.

~Jan~

PS: I just checked and I still have the origional booklet full of recipes so if anyone needs a recipe from this booklet let me know. I was looking for a date on it but there is none but I'm pretty sure I got it early 70's at the latest.

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~