FREEZING CHERRY TOMATOES | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

FREEZING CHERRY TOMATOES

Last post Jul 24, 2004 11:50 AM by GrandmaCookN . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • FREEZING CHERRY TOMATOES
    I have sooo many cherry tomatoes. Have given a lot to the neighbors however I would like to freeze some. Could someone tell me the best way to freeze them. Any response's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    False
  • RE: FREEZING CHERRY TOMATOES
    How about doing this?

Tomatoes can be oven dried to preserve them fairly easily. This works well with meaty tomatoes such as roma, plum or cherry varieties. Choose tomatoes that are ripe but firm and unblemished. Cut them in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the seeds. Place them cut side up on a baking sheet that has been covered with foil and coated lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle the tomatoes with sea or kosher salt lightly. Bake at 140°F or the very lowest setting on the oven for 10-18 hours. You want them dried but still pliable, not crispy. This is not an exact science. So much depends on the tomato, your oven and the humidity. As time goes by check tomatoes and remove any that look ready. Cherry tomatoes will dry more quickly, perhaps by a few hours. Another option is to dip the tomatoes in herb vinegar, drain and place on the baking sheets as instructed above. Either way, store in containers or plastic freezer bags in the freezer for up to a year. Use in recipes calling for oven or sun dried tomatoes.

False
    Tomatoes can be frozen raw or cooked, depending on the intended use. Either way, they are only suitable for cooking after freezing as they will lose their firmness. Raw cherry tomatoes may be frozen whole. Larger tomatoes may be frozen whole or cut into wedges. If desired, remove the seeds and squeeze out the excess juice. Proceed as stated above for whole berries. Cooked tomatoes can be frozen in any preparation, such as those listed in the canning recipes.
    False
    Pickled Green Tomatoes

Green cherry tomatoes
    Garlic cloves
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 green pepper, cut in fourths
    2 qt. water
    1 qt. vinegar
    1 c. kosher salt
    Dill

Pack clean tomatoes in sterilized quart jars. Add 1 clove garlic to each jar. Combine remaining ingredients. Boil for 10 minutes. Pour over tomatoes and seal. This is ready to eat in 4-6 weeks.

False
    Preserving Tomatoes
    The simplest way to preserve tomatoes is to freeze them whole. Just rinse them, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and freeze overnight. When frozen, put them in a freezer bag and return to the freezer. To use, remove from bag and thaw. When thawed, slip the skins off, and use in your favorite recipes.

OR

Peel the tomatoes, puree them in a blender, and then strain them through cheesecloth or a coffee filer to drain off the excess tomato water (this can be used in soups). Freeze the pulp in ice cube trays. When frozen, store the frozen cubes in a freezer bag.

False
    I rinse them let them dry completely put them in a freezer bag & freeze, then add them to soups, stew & stir frys.

I'll also bump up my posts for stuffed cherry tomatoes and roasted cherry tomatoes for you
    False
    I freeze them all the time when there are extras. Like to have mine all ready to use , so I cut a little x on the blossom end, put them in a wire strainer, place them in boiling water for just a minute and then down into ice water. Slip of the skin and pack in pint size freezer containers.
    When ready to use either thaw and toss in blender for sauce, chop for some dishes or toss in soup whole while frozen and they will cook down easily since the skin is already off.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.