Chinese Creamy Coconut Shrimp Recipe w/pics | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Chinese Creamy Coconut Shrimp Recipe w/pics

Last post May 06, 2012 6:02 PM by _FOOTSIE . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Chinese Creamy Coconut Shrimp Recipe w/pics

I stopped at the Chinese restaurant while I was in town and asked the waitress if she could ask the cook how to make that creamy shrimp that's on the evening buffet. I knew it had mayo in it because one night I guess it wasn't mixed enough cos I got a "glob" of mayo, or maybe they had to much in it. But it was a clue lol. Anyway the girl came back and said it's made with mayo, coconut milk and sugar. That's it. I'll have to experiment.

On the other hand, I did find this, which isn't far off. I'd probably skip the amaretto since I don't drink it and it's too expensive to buy it just for this, and I'd also probably use the smaller shrimp with a light crispy coating (note to self: must find that one that uses cornstarch). The green onions are a garnish and since I don't like raw onions, I'd leave them out too.

Chef Lin's Coconut Shrimp

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
    1 green onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons sugar (or to your desired sweetness)
    1 teaspoon coconut extract
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Saute the shrimp for 2-3 minutes.

Add green onion and carefully add the amaretto. Cook 1-2 minutes more until shrimp begins to caramelize.

Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside. Add heavy cream, coconut milk, and sugar to the pan.

Simmer on medium, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken and is reduced by half (about 5-8 minutes).

Add shrimp back into pan along with the coconut and vanilla extracts. Simmer 1-2 more minutes and serve.

Janie, I may have to put your popover on hold, I've got everything to make this lol.

Edited to add, maybe the reason the restaurant I went to  uses mayo instead of the heavy cream is because of the cost. Afterall they're making quanitites for a buffet, not individual servings so mayo is probably cheaper for them.

False

• Re: I stopped at the Chinese restaurant while I was in town

Water Chestnut flour makes an even crispier crust for (deep) FRIED shrimp than cornstarch and it takes very little; you can also mix a bit of the water chestnut flour with cornstrach.

You can find the WC flour in oriental stores.

False

Thanks Grelo, I'll have to see if I can find an oriental store when I go into town later!

False

Footsie, I love that stuff at a local chinese restaurant. It tastes different than any other place that I have eaten it. I will add this and your notes to the couple recipes I want to yet try.

Grelo, I haven't ever heard of water chestnut flour...will have to check into that!

Linda

False

Lol ~  Ok Footsie,  I may have to be the Guinea Pig!  Just need to get the mushrooms.

Another very nice flour to work with is Rice Flour.  It makes  wonderful  very light and crispy Tempura Batters.

Got the tip from Tyler Florence years ago ~  You should have seen the shrimp he whipped up ~  Awesome ~  Janie

I too would like to Check out the Chestnut Flour ~  Thanks

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I did finally get around to making this and it's just like the stuff I get at the restaurant.

False