Boiled Apple Dumplings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Boiled Apple Dumplings

Last post Jul 25, 2004 7:55 PM by DYLAN_WN . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Boiled Apple Dumplings
    Does anyone have recipe for boiled apple dumpling that you boil on top of the stove for several hours? They are made of dough with applies and cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar. If you have recipe please help me. My family is begging me to learn how to make them. Thank you.
    False
  • RE: Boiled Apple Dumplings
    Hi, looks like your new to the TOH board, I don't have the recipe you want, but I'm sure some one out there will be able to help you. I just wanted to say hi and welcome, I hope you plan to spend lots of time here cause it is addicting, and everyone is always glad to see new people join in. There's lots of good cooks and very friendly peopla among us so if you need any help with anything just ask. Again welcome and "HI" from Washington State. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Bump
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Just make fresh chunky applesauce sweetened to your taste when the chunks are tender, sprinkle a bit of nutmeg in (or cinnamon if you wish), dot with a dab or two of butter, add a little more water if needed so the dumplings will not touch the bottom, drop in spoonfuls of dumpling batter, cook uncovered for 10 minutes and then covered for 15 more minutes. (Whew! All in one sentence)

I use my Dutch oven to make these because it has a tight cover and may vary the dumpling recipe from Bisquick to homemade. Use your own favorite. Whichever I use I always substitute an egg for part of the liquid added. I want the dumplings to hold together so no flour escapes into the apples.

This is one of those recipes you play with to make it your own. Brown sugar could be used instead of white, vanilla could be added to the dumplings as well as a sweetener of some kind. A little lemon juice adds a nice tartness. You may like to add raisins. The apples are also a matter of choice. I prefer Cortlands or Haralsons, peeled, for this recipe. They hold their shape reasonably well and are quite tart.

I realize this is not exact but exact you don't need. This also works very well with cherries or blueberries or peaches--all of which I have tried.
    False

Boiled Apple Dumplings

6 Apples
    1 qt Flour
    1 lg Tablespoon butter or lard
    1 ts Salt
    2 ts Baking powder; (heaping)
    1/2 pt Milk
    Cinnamon and sugar

Pare and core apples. Blend butter or lard into flour, add salt and baking powder, mix well. Moisten with milk, using more or less than called for, to make a soft dough, one that will roll nicely without being sticky. Roll to about 1/2-inch thickness and cut into rounds the size of a saucer. Place an apple in the center of each round, filling center with sugar and a little cinnamon. Wrip dough around apple, seal and tie each dumpling in a floured cloth bag. Plunge immediately into boiling water and boil 30 minutes. Serve hot with sugar and cream.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy

Welcome,I reprinted this for you because the first time I didn't you can't see it to well.Cubbybear~
    Boiled Apple Dumplings

6 Apples
    1 qt Flour
    1 lg Tablespoon butter or lard
    1 ts Salt
    2 ts Baking powder; (heaping)
    1/2 pt Milk
    Cinnamon and sugar

Pare and core apples. Blend butter or lard into flour, add salt and baking powder, mix well. Moisten with milk, using more or less than called for, to make a soft dough, one that will roll nicely without being sticky. Roll to about 1/2-inch thickness and cut into rounds the size of a saucer. Place an apple in the center of each round, filling center with sugar and a little cinnamon. Wrip dough around apple, seal and tie each dumpling in a floured cloth bag. Plunge immediately into boiling water and boil 30 minutes. Serve hot with sugar and cream.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Welcome to the Board from North Texas!
    False
    LittleRem I started another post of welcome to you, I hope you've seen it, its under my name. if you have time we'de like to hear more about you, where are you from, married, single, children, age if you want to reveal it, just a little get aquainted post. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST