Grits with cheese in the crock pot | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Grits with cheese in the crock pot

Last post Aug 24, 2011 10:41 PM by Antilope . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Grits with cheese in the crock pot

Has anybody ever made grits - or made them and then put them in the crock pot to serve - in the crock pot?   Naturally, I'd like them to have cheese in them and be similar to the Baked Grits with cheese but want to be able to keep them warm/hot during a brunch for second helpings.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

False
  • Re: Grits with cheese in the crock pot

I haven't made them directly in the crockpot but have had them from restaurants in warming tables/steam tables so there would be no reason you couldn't just put them in a crockpot to keep them warm.

False

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=crock+pot+grits&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

False

My Brothers have both tried cooking grits in the crock pot and says they are great cooked that way. I've yet to try it, but will sometimes.  They said to add about 1.5 times the amount of water. I don't see why leaving them in the crock pot to serve would not work. You may have to add a bit of water along if they sit too long.

False

I make it in a microwave:

Microwave Velveeta Grits/Polenta

Cooking time: 12-minutes total on high (1100-watts)

Ingredients:

4 cups cold water
    2 Tbs chicken bullion powder (or 2 crushed bullion cubes)
    1 tsp granulated garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    dash pepper to taste
    1 egg, beaten
    3 Tbs butter or margarine, melted
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/3 to 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes

1. In an 2 qt covered casserole dish, whisk together the water,  chicken bullion powder, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Mix well.

2. Now whisk in the beaten egg, mix well. Whisk in the melted butter, mix well.

3. Whisk in cornmeal and mix well.

4. Cover and microwave 4-minutes on high.

5. Whisk well, stir to bottom and mix until grits/polenta is uniform without lumps.

6. Stir in cubed Velveeta cheese. Mix well.

7. Cover and microwave 4-minutes more on high.

8. Whisk well, stir to bottom and mix until grits/polenta is uniform with out lumps.

9. Cover and microwave a final 4-minutes more on high.

10. Whisk well, stir to bottom and mix until grits/polenta is uniform with out lumps.

11. Serve warm.

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.