Lemon Baked Chicken and Potatoes (Bone-in) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Lemon Baked Chicken and Potatoes (Bone-in)

Last post Sep 01, 2011 8:55 PM by WATTLE . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Lemon Baked Chicken and Potatoes (Bone-in)

We have a well known Italian restaurant here in Chicago that serves this type of dish, and it's extremely popular. The restaurant is Tufano's, and it's even been featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. In fact, I think there's even a YouTube video of this dish being prepared. It's a favorite in my house, and I think it's so good, so I thought I'd post. Whether it's called Italian Lemon Chicken or Greek Oregano Chicken, it's delicious! I do include the garlic. We're having it for tonight's dinner, AAMOF.

Lemon Baked Chicken with Potatoes

3 lemons

1 3 1/2 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces (you can use favorite chicken parts)

3-4 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges

2 tablespoons olive oil

1-2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)

Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put the chicken, skin side down, and potatoes in a baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Sprinkle with juice from one half lemon, oil, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper. Turn the potatoes and chicken skin side up, and cover with juice from remaining half lemon, oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Slice another lemon and tuck the lemon slices in between the chicken pieces.

(At this point, I cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour, which penetrates the chicken with flavor. Otherwise, continue with recipe)

Bake the chicken for about 50 minutes, basting with pan juices, until chicken is browned, potatoes are tender and juices run clear. Serve chicken and potatoes on a platter, and pour skimmed juice over all. **

Nice to garnish with lemon slices.

**At this oven temp, near the end of cooking time, the juices may cook away, so I usually make an extra lemon mixture to pour over finished chicken. If the juices are scanty, I double the sauce.

Lemony Bath:

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)

4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/8 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)

Heat slightly in microwave until butter is melted. Stir and pour over chicken.

Arlene

False
  • Re: Lemon Baked Chicken and Potatoes (Bone-in)

Here it is, at about 1:05 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cec8bEaILCE

False

Hi Arlene,

Nice to see you again.  i grew up in Lake Zurich and have so many fond Chicago food memories.  My Auntie who lived in Buffalo Grove used to make some thing similar to this but she called it Greek Chicken and her potatoes were thinly sliced discs.  Same flavors though.  What a great Sunday family meal!  Will have to try your recipe soon!  Thanks for sharing it.

False

Hi Lori.  Good to see you too!!!

Yes, Tufano's does their potatoes that way - sliced into discs.  Just as good!  I don't use "cooking oil" as he does in his preparation of this recipe--I use olive oil, which I squeeze from a container I keep it in (I put it in a condiment squeeze bottle). 

Let me know if you make it. 

Take care - Arlene

False

Bump Yes

False

Wattle Paradise