REc.Amish Friendship Bread [without the starter ] Many Variations | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REc.Amish Friendship Bread [without the starter ] Many Variations

Last post Sep 03, 2011 5:48 PM by carol1229 . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • REc.Amish Friendship Bread [without the starter ] Many Variations

I was going to wait til cooler weather to post this,but was afraid I`d never find it again:))

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD WITHOUT THE STARTER
    Makes two loaves.

1 cup oil
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    4 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cup flour
    3.5 oz. box instant vanilla pudding
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 Tbsp. cinnamon
    1 1/4 cup milk or 12 oz. can evaporated milk
    1 – 1 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped

Sugar/Cinnamon Mix
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon together in small bowl. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In two greased loaf pans, sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mix on the sides and bottoms of the pans. Save some to sprinkle on top of loaves.

Mix oil and sugar, add eggs and vanilla; beat.

In separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, including walnuts. Add dry mix to egg mixture alternately with milk until well blended.

Pour batter into prepared pans, sprinkle top of loaves with the sugar/cinnamon mix. Optional, sprinkle chopped nuts on top and press gently.

Bake for one hour or until tested done. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. May be served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Freezes well – tightly wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap, then in foil before freezing.

VARIATIONS...
    Amish Banana Friendship Bread
    Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding in the basic recipe and add two mashed bananas,

Amish Chocolate Friendship Bread
    Omit cinnamon and vanilla pudding from the basic recipe and add 5.1 oz box of instant chocolate pudding,
    3 tsp. cocoa and ¾ cup chocolate chips.

Amish Apple Cinnamon Friendship Bread
    Add one cup of raisins and one small diced apple.

Amish Butterscotch Friendship Bread
    Add 1 box of butterscotch pudding instead of vanilla and add 1 cup of butterscotch chips.

Amish Double Chocolate Chip Friendship Bread.
    Substitute chocolate pudding for the vanilla and add 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Amish Lemon Friendship Bread
    Substitute with two small boxes of lemon pudding mix and lemon extract plus lemon peel, omit the cinnamon and nuts, and add ¼ - ½ cup poppy seeds.

Amish Lemon Coconut Friendship Bread
    Delete cinnamon, nuts and vanilla. Use lemon flavored pudding; add 1 tsp. lemon extract and 2 cups of coconut.

Amish Banana Cream Friendship Bread
    Use banana cream pie pudding and two mashed bananas.

Amish Zucchini Friendship Bread
    Add 1 cup of grated zucchini. Squeeze out the excess liquid before mixing.

Amish Cranberry Friendship Bread
    Add one cup of dried cranberries plus chocolate covered raisins and a tsp. of orange zest, along with a cup of chopped pecans. This makes a nice holiday variation to the cake.

Amish Caramel Apple Friendship Bread
    Add dried apples and caramel instant pudding.

Amish Macadamia Friendship Bread
    Add ¾ cup white chocolate chips, ¾ cup macadamia nuts and use cheesecake pudding.

Amish Ginger Friendship Bread
    Substitute 2 tablespoons molasses for equal amount of sugar and add spices to make gingerbread.

Amish Pineapple Friendship Bread
    Add 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple, 1 cup shredded coconut and pistachio pudding.

Amish Orange Friendship Bread
    Use 1 small box of orange Jell-O plus 1 cup drained mandarin oranges.

Amish Strawberry Friendship Bread
    Use 1 small box of strawberry Jell-O plus 1 cup thawed frozen strawberries.

Amish Cherry Cheesecake Friendship Bread
    Use cheesecake pudding instead of vanilla pudding and add chopped maraschino cherries with some of the cherry juice.

Amish Fruitcake Friendship Bread
    Use the standard recipe for cake with the vanilla pudding, cinnamon and add glazed fruit mix with walnuts and almonds. The result was a tasty fruitcake.

Amish Blueberry Friendship Bread
    Add 2 cups thawed frozen blueberries.

Amish Cappuccino Friendship Bread
    Use cappuccino pudding, ½ cup chocolate chips and ½ cups nuts.

Amish Coconut Chocolate Chip Friendship Bread
    Replace the vanilla pudding with chocolate and add ½ cup each of chocolate chips and coconut.

Suggestions…
    Instead of using two loaf pans, bake it in a Bundt or a 13x9" pan. Baking time will change.

False

• Re: REc.Amish Friendship Bread [without the starter ] Many Variations

THANK YOU THANK YOU Rosie!  I have been threatening to make a starter for this bread because I haven't had it for eons but then thought who the heck would I give them to?  I'd end up freezing them.

Now I can have the bread WITHOUT the starter along with many variations.

YUM!  Wanna come over for coffee and Friendship Bread? 

Thanks again....I'ma SO happy..........  :)

Carol

False

Good morning Skip & Carol,

I've never done a friendship bread.... I don't think? But it sure does sound good, especially all those variations.

Thank-you!

You both have a great day.

I'll come back and read more carefully, I was kind of flying by. Later gators.

False

carol1229
    I'ma SO happy..........  :)

Lol.That cracks me up.

Yes,I`d love to come over.Which one(s) will you serve?  I`ll wear my baggie pants.Lol.

Jillie,I`ve never made it either tho some of these do sound familar.

Thank you both for looking in.Right Hug

Happy weekend.

Rosie

False

Ooo Rosie you devil!  I may just have to start this back up again now!  

My King Arthur Flour book has the recipe for the starter if anyone needs it I can post it.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

OK!  Let's see.........I'm open for suggestions-or requests Rosie.........what do you think I oughta should make?  What jumped out at me was the Macadamia Nut one.......MMMMMMM.................then Cherry Cheesecake sounds good.........or Blueberry...........or Lemon Coconut...........or Coconut Chocolate Chip?  Holy SMOKES......TOO MANY CHOICES! 

My head's gonna explode........along with the button on my jeans if I make all the kinds I want to. Surprise Embarrassed

HELP! 

I too have a recipe for the starter, Sue........and have been threatening to make it............and threatening...so far? I've held off..........don't know how much longer I can though-cooler weather is coming and that's when I really feel like baking..............oh boy.........I'm doomed.

False

Thank you Rosie,
    I was actually thinking about this bread - just this morning - - - but didn't want to get the 'starter' going, because I end up freezing it.
    What a great idea here
    Copied it - and will be trying some of the variations. 
    Thanks again. - - - -

False

Debi

This is awesome, thank you Rosie!

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

carol1229
    I too have a recipe for the starter, Sue........and have been threatening to make it............and threatening...so far?

It's supposed to cool off here again next week, I like to make it in the Schwan's plastic ice cream containers.  They have a nice lid - easy to stir & add.  The gallon bags are so messy!

I reworked the original recipe and made it lighter in fat & calories AND in texture.  I always had such a problem with it being wet & dense.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

Yer Killin me Rosie.  I LOVE IT.  I too did the starter and made quite a few.  this would be quick and easy and I think i'm on the same track with Carol...............  which one first?

Thanks Rosie!

False

Never Judge Anyone by the opinion of Others.

No regrets, Live your life as you please, not as others want you to

Sue-when I got a starter for this WAY BACK in the day-I remember using a glass bowl for it.  I had a note on the refrigerator to STIR HERMAN DAILY.......that was the starter's name.

Cyndy, I have a feeling I know which "variation" of this bread caught your eye........maybe one with your favorite nut??????  :)

Thanks again Rosie-ya got me in the bread baking mood!

Carol

False

Gm Everyone.  Lookie and all of these goodies !   What great choices and combos.  Ahhhhhhhh Rosie you sure can spot em ~  Thanks  sweetie 

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Wow, Rosie, thanks a lot!  These ALL look so good.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

carol1229
    Sue-when I got a starter for this WAY BACK in the day-I remember using a glass bowl for it.  I had a note on the refrigerator to STIR HERMAN DAILY.......that was the starter's name.

Herman blew up in my Mothers refrigerator when she neglected him, LOL!Tongue Tied

Herman starter is different from the Amish Friendship bread starter.  The Friendship bread starts & feeds with equal parts flour, sugar and milk.  Herman only has a TBSP of sugar to start with and feeds with a 1, 1, ½ ratio.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Oh yeah I believe it.........Herman had a REAL attitude if he was neglected. Surprise

I have Amish Friendship Bread Starter recipes here that I've never tried.......but I may bite the bullet this weekend and give one a go.  This one is left out on the counter right?  Unlike Herman who loved AC?

I'm curious as to how this will work.  My MIL said she'd take some.....I think I can pawn one off on my friend Bobbi.......I may have to freeze the rest though---or  make 2 batches of bread.  Did you read the book "Friendship Bread"?  I haven't yet but so want to get it.  Look at the ideas here........

WOW!  So many recipes...........I need to get started......with a starter..........SOON!
    Waving HI to Carole!
    Carol
    False