R & R: Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot & Sour Soup~ posted by Antilope, thanks!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R & R: Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot & Sour Soup~ posted by Antilope, thanks!!

Last post Jan 03, 2012 9:23 AM by az_jill . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • R & R: Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot & Sour Soup~ posted by Antilope, thanks!!

This is super easy to throw together and as Antilope mentioned tastes exactly what you would get out. Very delicious and healthy too! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I didn't have the tofu which was a big waaaaaaa as I love the stuff. But someone had told me it freezes well, and I don't really agree. I'll use it next time around.

Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot and Sour
    Soup

(posted by Antilope and her notes)

Here's a Hot and Sour Soup recipe that we like a lot. Weuse to eat out a lot just for this soup. Making it at home saves a lot of money. It tastes very close to what you at a Chinese restaurant. All of these ingredients should be available at  most U.S. supermarkets, some in the Asian foods section. The white pepper and sesame oil are the "secret" ingredients that seem to give the authentic taste.

Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot and Sour Soup

4 cups of chicken broth
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 cup cooked shredded chicken or pork (canned chicken ok)
    1/2 cup drained canned mushrooms (type of your choice), sliced or diced
    1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained and julienned
    1/2 tablespoon Thai Chili Garlic Sauce (Tabasco Sauce and a little garlic powder as a substitute is ok)
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water
    1 egg, beaten
    3 oz firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch dice
    2 green onion stalks, diced (including green tops)
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Bring chicken broth to a simmer in a 2-quart saucepan.
    Add soy sauce, meat, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, Thai Chili Garlic Sauce and white pepper.
    -Simmer for five minutes.
    -Combine two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water in a cup. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to soup and stir well.
    -Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes until soup is thickened.
    -Beat egg in a cup until yolk and white are combined. Pour beaten egg slowly, in a fine stream into soup. Stir soup several times.
    -Wait 30 seconds.
    -Add tofu and green onions to soup. Stir well. Remove from heat.
    -Add distilled white vinegar and sesame oil.
    -Stir a few times and serve.

Makes about 6 cups.

False

• Re: R & R: Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot & Sour Soup~ posted by Antilope, thanks!!

I LOVE hot and sour soup.  I never made it, just had it at restaurants.  I have everything but the bamboo shoots...can't wait to try this.  Thanks Jill for the review, and thanks Antilope for the recipe!

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

• Re: R & R: Easy Chinese Restaurant Hot & Sour Soup~ posted by Antilope, thanks!!

Hi Carole, I've never made it before either and had wanted to for so long. I think you'd really enjoy this too, as I love hot & sour soup and am so happy I finally can have it any time I want. My hubby did like this and absolutely refuses to go to any Chinese restaurant with me, so YaY!!

Definitely a keeper! I did use jarred mushrooms, but had shredded chicken in the freezer that I used.

Thanks for looking in, and have a nice weekend.

False

When I go to Chinese restaurant I have this soup often

Thanks Jill for your review and antilope for your recipe

False

I am looking forward to trying this as well. I always have this soup when we go to our favorite Chinese restaurant. I  asked them for the recipe, but they said it was a secret. It is the best! It doesn't quite measure up at other Chinese restaurants. They do use pork, that much I do know. I have tried making it myself a couple of times, but I can not duplicate it. I was kind of wondering if it is the bamboo shoots. They are so finely julienned. Can you get fresh bamboo shoots? Anyway, I am going to give this a try. Thank you so much!

False

I just might give this a try sometime.Wink

I even have ths shoots.I like them as a snack.(told ya I eat just about anything :))

Glad to know about subbing Tabasco for the chili sauce.I don`t ever have that.

Thanks L b and Antilope.

Happy weekend to you.Right Hug

Skip

False

Hi Freddie, if this is close to your favorite, please let us know. Or if you tweak it and get it closer. I've never looked for fresh bamboo shoots, maybe someone else can answer.

Lol Skip,on eating the bamboo shoots out of the can, you are such a kick!  I always have that garlic chili sauce on hand and love it, but we do have a lot of stir fries too.

Try it, you'll like it!

Hugs right back at you. Getting out to any yard sales this weekend? Boy it was nice out there, actually cool. We got a great thunderstorm yesterday into the night. Hope you & Wes are doing well.

False

Great recipe and review, Jillie.  I'm copying this one right now.  It's DH's favorite soup and I love it too. May also add some bean sprouts

Suziee

False

A nice healthy recipe for the new year! This was excellent!

Thanks again Antilope. Do you have a recipe for egg fu young?

False