Apple Dumplings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Apple Dumplings

Last post Sep 30, 2011 8:04 PM by enjoynature . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Apple Dumplings

If I make apple dumplings - just the apple and dough - can I freeze them to use later?  I do this with pies already, but am wondering if I can with the dumplings.

Marlene

False
  • Re: Apple Dumplings

Hmmm...good question. If it works for pies, why not for dumplings? Maybe check your grocer's freezer section and see if they are done commercially, then you would know if it is possible?!?

Bump for more help!

:)

Ellen

False

]Yes you can freeze apple dumplings our church makes about 200 in October and bakes and sales them at our bazzar in November. They always sale out.  Deannie

False

Deannie, I am interested in freezing them also. For your bazzar do you just make your dumplings and freeze them and then when you get ready to bake them, do you let them thaw, and then pour the syrup mixture over them or exactly how do you do this.  Thank you. I love apple dumplings.

False

I make peach and apple dumplings and pies, when the season of fruit is ripe from the orchards. I bake or unbake my dumplings and pies. I take the fruit peel, core, and cut into chunks, then place the fruit into a bowl. I taste a piece of fruit ahead of time to tell how tart or sweet it tastes naturally. When I have enough to fill a bowl, then I rinse the fruit lightly with water and drain. Then I sprinkle cinnamon and sugar into the fruit and stir. I am a dumper cooker so I go by just looks and taste. I taste a piece of fruit to see how sweet or tart the fruit tastes. Because the fruit can be naturally tart or sweet and with adding sugar it changes the taste. I make my dough, roll it out, and a scoop of fruit. Then fold it up into a dumpling and put it in a pie pan or cake pan. I fill up the pan with dumplings. Then I place it in the oven at 350 until it's baked. Then enjoy it. If I bake the dumplings or pies or if I do not bake it. I always write on a paperplate turned upside down whether the dumplings or pies are unbaked or baked. Also what kind of fruit is inside, plus I place the date on when it was created. I place the dumplings and pies in a container that will seal so the freezer tastes doesn't p enetrate the dough. I also put the plate on top of the dumplings or pies before they go in the container. When I want to bake the unbaked or previously baked dumplings or pies, I remove them from the freezer and container. I place the pan of pie or dumplings on a cookie sheet. Lightly lay a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pie or dumplings.  I turn the oven to 350 and place the cookie sheet with the pan of goodies and aluminum foil on top in the oven. Then I let it bake until its done. Timing depends on how big or how small, or how many, or baked on unbaked the pies or apple dumplings are in the first place. Checking your oven is wise to do. But you will smell it also. Now if I bake my dumplings when I have made them. I also have put them in a container layered in wax paper. Then when I want just one dumpling, I have just one dumpling. You can microwave it.  But that has been ages, since I have done that. Any more I make pans full of them.  They are nice to take to shut in's or family members to take home. Or enjoy when the snow is flying to come in from shoveling to something wonderful. 

False