Kathy/Onesassy T&T Recipe Box | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Kathy/Onesassy T&T Recipe Box

Last post Apr 14, 2014 7:02 AM by onesassy . 353 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 18 of 24 (354 items) < First1617181920Last >
  • Re: Kathy/Onesassy T&T Recipe Box

Pumpkin Roll

This recipe comes from my late friend, Kim! Kim passed away in 2010 from lung cancer at the young age of 45! She would always make this delicious recipe when our families would get together for dinner at their house! I was always so skeptical about making it because I was worried about "rolling" the cake in a towel! Kim always told me I could do it and she always had faith in me! Well guess what? I did it and Kim would be so proud! So in honor of Kim, here is her Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe!

For the cake

2/3 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2/3 cup chopped nuts

For the filling

1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, gradually add all cake ingredients and mix well.

Spray and flour a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan. Line with wax paper. Spray and flour paper. Pour cake mixture into pan and sprinkle with nuts.

Bake 15 minutes and turn out immediately onto cloth dish towel that is sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll into a tube shape inside of towel and let cool completely.

For filling, beat all filling ingredients until mixed well. Unroll cake and spread filling over cake. Re-roll cake without using the towel.

Serve

False

Kathy

Cheesy French Onion Soup

Oh boy, was this ever delicious! My friend, Bobbijo_AZ, sent me a French Onion Soup recipe in 2009 and I finally decided I was going to make it after going thru one of my recipe folders! I modified the recipe and changed a few things as I went along and it turned out perfect! The recipe is posted with my changes! My family loved it especially my DS, Nate! He ate 4 ramekins of soup!  :)

Very easy to make and tasty! Yummy!

1/2 cup butter
    4 medium yellow onions, peeled, sliced & quartered
    2 (32 ounce each) boxes beef broth
    1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder granules
    1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    salt & pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons flour, divided
    1 loaf crusty french baguette bread
    2 cups shredded mozzarella provolone cheese mix

Preheat oven broiler.

In a 4 quart pot, melt the butter and sauté the onions until they are soft and golden brown.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour into onions and stir well. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Add the beef bouillon powder granules, beef broth and worcestershire sauce, mixing well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Remove 3/4 cup of broth from soup and mix with remaining tablespoon of flour, stirring until smooth. Add mixture back into soup, stirring well and simmer 10 more minutes.

Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices and then each slice in half.  Depending on the size of your ramekins, you might not have to slice the 1/2 inch slices in half.

Prepare individual ovenproof ramekin bowls by layering the bottom of each dish with baguette slices and then covering the bread with shredded cheese. Add the soup until it almost reaches the top of each bowl and then more baguette slices to cover the soup and end with shredded cheese on top of baguette.

Place in broiler and broil 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

Serve

False

Kathy

Pizza Burger Bowl

Another hit with my family! I think of this recipe as a "fun" recipe! My family (and myself) loved this so much that I think I'm going to have to double the recipe next time and there will be a next time very soon! It's like you could just keep eating and eating these babies! They were gone in a flash! Delish!

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
    1 small onion, diced
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 (8 count) can Grands Refrigerated Buttermilk Homestyle Biscuits (not flaky)
    1 egg 
    1/4 teaspoon water
    1 tablespoon sesame seed
    2 cups of your favorite pizza sauce
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, from the green container
    2 cups shredded pizza cheese blend or mozzarella cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375°

Spray large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.

In the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and saute onions until soft and turning brown.

Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Place 2½ inches apart on sprayed cookie sheet. With bottom of flat 2-inch diameter glass or with fingers, press out each biscuit to form 3½ inch round with 1/4 inch rim around outside edge.

In small bowl, combine egg and water, mixing well. Brush over tops and sides of biscuits. Sprinkle each with sesame seeds.

Add all remaining ingredients including 1 cup of pizza cheese back into the skillet with the ground beef and onions. Cook on low about 5 minutes, mixing well.

Divide ground beef mixture evenly into each biscuit. Sprinkle each with remaining pizza cheese blend.

Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

Carefully remove from cookie sheet and serve.

False

Kathy

Cranberry Pineapple Relish

Oh No, this girl doesn't like cranberry!  :) Well, up until now I just couldn't stand cranberry but I had it only from a can, the whole wiggly stuff that you slice! That has changed and I thank Kroger, our local grocery store for changing that! A few Saturday's ago, Kroger had a ton of samples they were handing out that were targeting Thanksgiving and one of their samples was Cranberry Celebration, and I thought what the heck, I am going to sample it because I could see the whole cranberries in it and they reminded me of a cherry and I love cherries! Oh Yes, this girl loves whole cranberries and I bought 3 tubs of it, 2 for my house and 1 for my parents! Well, we all gobbled it down and I was back at Kroger to buy more!

I decided to Google cranberry and found lots of recipes for it but the recipe I found that looked like what I was looking for had cloves in it and I don't like cloves one bit so I made it my way with idea's from the internet and I am so glad that I tried making my own because I was going to put Cranberry Celebration from Kroger out of business!

Comparing what I made to what I bought, I think what I bought was a tad sweeter than what I made so I added a tad more sugar to the recipe for the next time and trust me, there will be a next time very, very soon!

My new favorite side dish and easy, easy, easy to make!

1 (3 ounce) box cherry jello
    1 cup water
    1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, in its own juice, drained, SAVING the juice
    2 (14 ounce) cans whole cranberries sauce
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a pot, boil 1 cup of water and add jello mix, stirring until all powder is dissolved.

Drain the pineapple over a bowl or measuring cup, saving the juice. Add the juice to the jello and mix well.

In a glass dish, pour jello, cranberries, pineapple, sugar and lemon juice. If you are using nuts, add them as well. Mix well.

Refrigerate overnight.

False

Kathy

Can't wait to make this

False

Death By Chocolate Cake

This recipe is for the chocolate lover in you! There are many variations to this cake but this recipe comes from my MIL! It was very moist and easy to make! Yummy!

1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
    1 (14 ounce can) Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1 cup chocolate syrup, Hershey's is great
    1 cup walnuts, crushed as fine as you can get them
    1 can of your favorite chocolate icing or homemade

Bake cake according to box instructions in a 13x9 baking dish.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes in cake, all over with the end of a wooden spoon or a wooden skewer.

Pour sweetened condensed milk in the holes and all over the cake. Next pour the chocolate syrup and sprinkle crushed walnuts all over and into the holes.

Cover cake and refrigerate until cooled completely.

Use your favorite chocolate icing and ice cake before serving.

To Make This Cake A Turtle Cake

Use 1 cup Caramel Sauce in place of the Sweetened Condensed Milk and replace the walnuts with pecans and add pecans to the top of the cake as well as inside the cake.

False

Kathy

Cheesy Broccoli Casserole

I love Broccoli Casserole and I've tasted many different varieties! I love them all! This recipe comes from my MIL and it has rice in it! So delicious and creamy! Yum!

1 (12 ounce) package broccoli florets, thawed and patted dry
    1 (10-3/4 ounce) Cream Of Mushroom Soup
    1 can water, use the empty can from the soup
    1/2 cup white rice, uncooked
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350°

In a 2 quart casserole dish, mix broccoli, soup, water, rice and 1 cup of cheese.

Cover and bake 1 hour.

Remove cover and stir. Add remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake 15 more minutes or until cheese has melted.

False

Kathy

Pressure Cooker Mac & Cheese

I could just cry over the the pictures I took of this delicious Mac & Cheese! I didn't realize when I took the pictures that my camera lens had fogged up due to my camera sitting near the stove! When I realized it after loading the pictures, it was to late, the mac & cheese was all gone! Boo-Hoo!  :) I did manage to crop the edge of the picture where it wasn't foggy!

This is my MIL recipe and over Thanksgiving she was teaching me how to cook with a pressure cooker and then she gave me a pressure cooker! How cool was that!

This was some very creamy and tasty mac & cheese! Cooked in 6 minutes! We loved it and I can't wait to try something in my pressure cooker!

2½ cups elbow macaroni
    3 (15 ounce cans) chicken broth
    2 Tablespoons butter
    1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, from green container
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 ounces cream cheese
    1 teaspoon dry mustard

Add macaroni, chicken broth, butter and parmesan cheese in pressure cooker.

Once pressure cooker reaches high pressure, cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.

Do a quick release and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese and dry mustard until melted and creamy.

Serve immediately.

False

Kathy

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup that I've made before and it was a clone from Max & Erma's restaurant! It was good but not as spicy as the restaurants! It wasn't made in a crockpot either!

We loved this soup and I'll be making it again and again! It was just the right spice level for us, the kind of spice level that will open your sinuses! It really wasn't overly spicy but it was soooo good! With a touch of sour cream, shredded cheese and the crunch of tortilla strips, just took the soup over the top! I want to add that the more tortilla strips you use, the better!

A funny thing happened while I was getting everything ready to go in the crockpot! I have never eaten or used a serrano pepper in my cooking adventures! The serrano pepper was the last thing I cleaned and diced for the crockpot! All is well, right? NO! I was getting a few crackers and pepperoni slices to snack on and I ate 2 or 3 and all of a sudden my lips were on fire!  :) Dummy me! I then remembered the tip of using gloves when working with peppers like that! I'll remember from now on!

1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed but not cooked
    1 (15 ounce) can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Hunts Sweet Onion)
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    4½ cups chicken broth, save 1 cup of this for a later step
    1 small onion, diced
    1 small serrano pepper, de-seeded, de-veined, and diced
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic salt
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    sour cream for topping if desired
    Colby/Monterey Jack Cheese Mix, shredded
    1 (3.5 ounce) bag Tri-Color Tortilla strips

Sprinkle thawed chicken with some of the cayenne pepper and garlic salt. You will add the remaining cayenne and garlic salt to the crockpot with other ingredients.

Add corn, tomatoes, black beans, 3½ cups chicken broth, chicken, onion, serrano pepper and spices to crockpot. Stir well, mixing completely.

Using the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth, add the corn starch and mix well. Add into crockpot and mix well.

Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

One hour before cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts and shred. Place back in crockpot, mixing well. The shredded chicken will then have time to soak all the delicious-ness!

Serve hot topped with sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips.

False

Kathy

Easy Meatball Sub

So after a long day, you don't feel like cooking a big meal, well, this is the recipe for you! I found the best fully cooked meatballs at our local IGA grocery store! I first tasted them at a sports award banquet for my DD cheerleading and we were sitting with some friends and I told her the spaghetti and meatballs I was eating were awesome and she told me she made it! I asked her where she got the delicious meatballs and she said IGA! Needlees to say, I had to go and buy a bag and have been buying them ever since! They are frozen meatballs in a bag, made with beef and chicken, they are kind of jumbo compared to any other brand and the brand name is Signature! Delicious!

1.5 pound bag fully cooked frozen meatballs (size may vary on the brand you buy)
    24 ounces of your favorite spaghetti sauce
    1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    8 hot dog buns

In a sprayed skillet over medium heat, add meatballs and cook covered about 15 minutes.

Add 1 cup of water, cover and continue cooking another 10 minutes, stirring meatballs around.

Uncover and continue cooking until most of the water is gone, just a few minutes.

Pour spaghetti sauce into skillet with meatballs and simmer until sauce is heated through, stirring well.

To assemble subs, put 3 meatballs with sauce into hot dog buns and top with mozzarella cheese. If your meatballs are small, you will need to use more than 3 meatballs per sub.

Makes 8 subs with 24 jumbo type meatballs.

False

Kathy

Sausage Biscuit & Gravy Hashbrown Bake

Janie did a review of this recipe on TOH and I knew I had to make it! I also knew I would have to modify the recipe somewhat due to my DH having a hissy fit if I put peppers and chiles in a breakfast casserole! He likes those 2 things in some recipes but not breakfast! I decided to ask him first what he thought about me putting them into the recipe and kindly said, "Please Don't" Ok, I modified the recipe so he would enjoy it!

What a hearty breakfast or anytime meal! So filling and delicious! While we were eating, DH said this would be good served with gravy on the side as well as in the recipe! It got me thinking that the Grands jumbo biscuits really soaked up the gravy while baking so I think next time I will use Grands Jr. biscuits! They are a bit smaller and I think they wouldn't soak up as much gravy!

1 (16 ounce) roll breakfast sausage
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hashbrowns
    1 bunch green onions, save a little for garnish
    Salt & Pepper, to taste
    4 cups of your homemade sausage gravy or 1 package of dry gravy mix
    1 can (8 biscuits) Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Butter Tastin' biscuits (next time I will use Grands Jr)
    1 cup shredded cheese

Heat oven to 350°

In a skillet, add vegetable oil and get hot. Add hashbrowns and most of the green onions, saving a little for garnish if desired. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You just want to brown them somewhat. When finished put them into a seperate bowl. Season with salt & pepper.

In the same skillet, add sausage, breaking up in small pieces and brown until done, 145° Remove sausage from skillet with a slotted spoon, onto a paper towel, saving the sausage grease and bits in the skillet for your gravy.

Prepare the gravy. Make your own homemade or follow the directions on packet gravy. Here is my homemade gravy recipe and I doubled this for this recipe:

3 tablespoons flour
    3/4 cup milk or more if gravy is to thick
    salt & cracked black pepper to taste

Add flour to skillet with sausage drippings and whisk, making a roux. Add the milk, salt, pepper and heat on medium-high whisking constantly 3 minutes or until desired consistency. If it is to thick, add a little more milk.

Spray a 9x13 casserole dish and add ½ of the potato mixture. Place biscuits on top and add the rest of the potatoes, sausage and gravy. Top with cheese.

Bake 40-45 minutes. Let the casserole rest 10 minutes before serving. It is really hot in the middle.

Garnish with green onion.

Here is the link to Janie's Original Post

False

Kathy

Cheesy Chicken Fajita Skillet

Oh boy, did I make a winner, winner chicken dinner this time! Delightfully Delicious! I came up with the name of this recipe while we were sitting down for dinner and eating! It tasted so much like chicken fajitas but without the tortilla wrap! Our local grocery had bell peppers on sale 3 for $1 and I stocked up on them at that price! I also had chicken breast thawing for dinner but nothing in mind on what to make!

As soon as I was cutting the bell peppers into strips to bag up and have for the kids to snack on, it hit me that some of those strips were going to be included in the skillet that I was going to make the chicken in! One thought led to another and waa-laa, we had a scrumptious dinner! It was gobbled down in a flash! Nothing left over!

6 bonless skinless chicken breast (I had 3, butterfly cut to make 6)
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons dry fajita seasoning mix
    garlic salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
    1½ cups shredded colby/monterey jack cheese mix
    1 medium red bell pepper, julienne cut
    1 medium green bell pepper, julienne cut
    1 medium onion, sliced into rings
    1 tablespoon minced garlic

Season chicken breasts on both sides with fajita seasoning mix, garlic salt and cracked black pepper and let sit 15 minutes.

Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat and add chicken breasts. Brown on both sides, turning them over about every 5 minutes and until internal temp reaches 165°. I used a lid on the skillet.

When chicken is finished, add the peppers, onions and minced garlic to the skillet, topping the chicken and saute until tender but don't over cook.

Push veggies to the side of the chicken and top chicken with shredded cheese and heat until melted.

Top the cheesy chicken with the veggies and serve.

False

Kathy

Creamy Ranch Macaroni Salad

This is the recipe I make at the high school I work at! I've never made macaroni salad until this school year! My co-worker Rose, came up with the idea that we try to create her grandmother's recipe and boy it turned out delicious and the students and teachers love it! Anytime we use homemade recipes at school, they are well received!

I make big batches at school so my measurements are approximate and feel free to adjust!

16 ounces elbow macaroni noodles
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1-1/2 cups Creamy Ranch Salad Dressing
    1 medium green bell pepper, diced
    3 stalks celery, diced
    1 small onion, diced
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
    1 tablespoon sugar
    salt & pepper, to taste

Boil noodles 8 minutes or until done. Drain. You don't want them over cooked.

Dice veggies and slice tomatoes.

In a large bowl add drained noodles and remaining ingredients.

Mix well and refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.

Stir well before serving.

False

Kathy

Creamy Beef Cheese Ball

My mom's famous cheese ball recipe!

This cheese ball is so creamy and full of great taste! A great appetizer for any family gathering or party! Easy to prepare and can be made the night before!

1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, semi soft
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon creamy horseradish sauce
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 bunch green onions, diced
    garlic salt, to taste
    12 ounce package or deli chipped beef, thinly sliced
    Club Crackers for dipping

In a large bowl, using a mixer, blend cream cheese, mayo, horseradish sauce, lemon juice, salt & pepper until mixed well.

Thinly slice the beef into squares or strips and add beef and green onions with hands, into the cream cheese mixture, mixing well.

Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Serve with crackers.

This is the beef I used:

False

Kathy

Glazed Strawberries & Banana Medley

Let me tell you that San-Way Farms in Plant City Florida have the freshest and tastiest strawberries this time of year in Cincinnati! OMGoodness, these strawberries are plump and juicy and the best I've ever tasted!

The reason I bought the strawberries, well, we went to Frisch's Big Boy restaurant for the breakfast bar on Sunday and on the fruit bar they had strawberry glaze over strawberries and bananas and it was delicious! Oh yeah, I can make that at home and that is exactly what I did! I love this stuff! It is addicting!

2 pounds whole fresh strawberries
    4 yellow bananas
    1 (16 ounce) container or pouch, Ready To Use Strawberry Glaze

Wash strawberries and cut off tops. Slice each strawberry into quarters. If you have smaller strawberries just cut them in half.

Place strawberries in a large bowl and top with strawberry glaze and mix well.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until you are ready to serve.

Peel bananas and slice into 1/4 inch coins.

Fold banana coins into the amount of strawberries you are going to serve.

If you aren't serving all the strawberries at one time just leave the bananas out and refrigerate remaining strawberries and add bananas when you are ready to serve again.

False

Kathy