appetizer meatballs....what's your favorite sauce when using frozen meatballs?/ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

appetizer meatballs....what's your favorite sauce when using frozen meatballs?/

Last post Dec 26, 2011 3:02 PM by momalur . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • appetizer meatballs....what's your favorite sauce when using frozen meatballs?/

I have seen recipes using chili sauce and grape jelly.  Also cranberry sauce and chili sauce.  What is your favorite?

False
  • Re: appetizer meatballs....what's your favorite sauce when using frozen meatballs?/

I like both of the sauce that you mentioned, but even better I like Yoshida's Hawaiian Sweet and Sour Sauce.  It's also really good on chicken and pork chops.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

• Re: appetizer meatballs....what's your favorite sauce when using frozen meatballs?/

I use chili sauce and grape jelly but I also like BBQ sauce and grape jelly! Sweet Baby Ray's is a great sauce!

I don't have the recipe but I have tasted Swedish Meatball appetiziers! Yummy! You could google it and probably find a ton of recipes!

False

Kathy

I use Shrimp cocktail sauce and Red Currant jelly! Taste so much better than the grape jell!  Chris

False

Cranberry Meatballs

This a family and guest favorite. You will have the dish licked clean of meatballs. I have had guests ask me how to make this.

Make your meatballs like you normally would with whatever recipe you have. But make sure they are baked or fried  before adding the following mixture to them. Or you can buy already made meatballs and use them in the following recipe. If I am using the frozen meatballs, I do not thaw them. I place them in the roaster or slowcooker and add the following sauce and let them cook.

In a separate bowl combine

l lb. cranberry sauce, jellied or whole berry

l/3 cup ketchup

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

12 oz. chili sauce

l Tbsp lemon juice.

Blend together.

Then stir in the meatballs to coat.

Place meatballs and sauce in the slowcooker and bake for one hour or longer depending on the amount of meatballs. You can place the sauce and meatballs in a roaster or casserole dish with a lid. Bake at 350 for one hour. Either way stir your meatballs and sauce to evenly coat everything together.

I have doubled the sauce recipe if I have more then 20 meatballs. But it also depends on the size of the meatballs. I usually only make one batch of sauce if I buy the store bought golf ball size meatballs and I am only using one bag. If I am using more then one bag of store bought meatballs, then I double the recipe. 

False

This is dh and my very favorite sauce for meatballs.  I first posted this on food.com.

Bleu Cheese Sauce for Meatballs

Total Time:

Prep Time:

Cook Time:

30 mins

10 mins

20 mins

This very different sauce turns frozen or homemade meatballs into a scrumptious dinner or an intriguing appetizer. The recipe comes from a very old issue of Sunset magazine.

Ingredients:

Servings:  4-6

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and garlic and cook until blended and bubbly.
    2. Gradually add half-and-half and broth. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
    3. Crumble bleu cheese into the sauce and stir until blended. Taste and add salt if needed.
    4. Add meatballs to sauce and cook as directed on package.
    5. To serve: Spoon meatballs and sauce over the hot mashed potatoes. They are also good over hot cooked rice or noodles. Garnish with chopped parsley.
    6. For appetizers: Use appetizer-sized frozen or homemade meatballs (about the size of large marbles). Prepare as above. Keep warm in a chafing dish. They may be garnished with cooked, crumbled bacon. Have picks nearby for spearing.

False

This is an oldie, but a goodie:

Waikiki (Sweet & Sour) Meatballs

From Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library - 1971

1 1/2 lb ground beef
    2/3 cup cracker crumbs
    1/3 cup onion; minced
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 cup milk; for meatballs
    1 tbsp shortening
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 cup brown sugar; packed
    1 (14 oz) can pineapple chunks in syrup, drained (reserve syrup)
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1/3 cup green pepper; chopped

Mix meat, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape into balls.
    Melt shortening, brown and cook meatballs. Remove meat and keep warm, remove fat.
    Mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar, and soy sauce until smooth.
    Cook, stirring, until boiling. Boil and stir one minute.
    Add meatballs pineapple and green pepper, heat through.

Serve over steamed white rice.

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

I use the cranberry sauce with the chile sauce and throw in a few spoonfulls of my mom's home made chile sauce. The only frozen meatballs I use are the ones from Ikea.

False

I like the Waikiki meatballs one that was posted for other times during the year, but around Christmas and New Years, I like a 12 oz jar of chili sauce mixed with a can of whole berry cranberry sauce. I prefer it to the one with the chili sauce and the grape jelly. 

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

I use a can of whole berry cranberry sauce and a jar of jalapeno jelly as a meatball sauce.  It makes a sweet sauce with a little heat.  The brand of  jalapeno jelly that I  prefer is Braswell and it comes in a 10 oz. jar.

The cranberry sauce and jalapeno jelly, when mixed together cold, makes a nice dip when you put it over a block of cream cheese.  Be sure to get a little of both the berry mixture and the cream cheese on your cracker, yum!  One batch of the berry mixtures makes enough to top two blocks of cream cheese. 

False

Cranberry Chipotle Appetizer Meatballs

Makes about 60 appetizer-sized meatballs

For the meatballs:
    2 pounds ground turkey
    1/2 medium onion, very finely diced
    4 eggs
    1-1/2 – 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
    1 teaspoon salt
    Pepper

For the sauce:
    2 cans jellied cranberry sauce
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1/2 medium onion, finely diced
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1-2 chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle in adobo)

To prepare the meatballs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine ground turkey, onions, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper until well-blended. Form into 1-inch balls. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet which has been lightly rubbed with oil. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until cooked through.

To prepare the sauce: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium/medium-low heat. (Use one chipotle pepper for mild/medium heat or two chipotle peppers for medium-hot.) Use a fork to smash up the cranberry sauce. Stir and cook for about 5-7 minutes until a sauce forms. Remove the sauce from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree the mixture using a blender, immersion blender, or food processor. Pour the sauce over the cooked meatballs.

Meatballs and sauce can be refrigerated or frozen until use.

To reheat: Reheat the meatballs in a foil-covered baking dish in a 350 degrees oven, until the meatballs are heated through, about 25-30 minutes (frozen meatballs will take longer). Periodically stir the meatballs as they reheat. Alternately, the meatballs and sauce can be reheated in a saucepan over medium-low heat or in a slow-cooker.

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

Swedish Meatballs with Creamy Dill Sauce

Swedish Meatballs

1 pound lean ground beef
    8 ounces lean ground pork
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Mixture will be wet. Shape into small balls and brown on all sides in skillet. Reduce the heat and cook through. Time will depend on how big the meatballs are. (To bake, brown first then place in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes. Again, the time will depend on the size of the meatballs.) Remove cooked meatballs to a serving dish. Pour creamy dill sauce over meatballs and serve.

Creamy Dill Sauce

3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour 
    2 cups beef broth
    1 cup sour cream
    3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
    1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until frothy. Let bubble 2 minutes. Gradually stir in beef broth until smooth. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring often.

Stir in sour cream, fresh dill and lemon peel. Serve immediately.

Source: St. Petersburg Times June 1, 2011

False

Garlicky Turkey Meatballs

1-lb ground turkey

Dry Ingredients

1/4 cup bread crumbs
    3 Tbs Parmesan cheese
    2 Tbs dried onion flakes
    1 Tbs dried parsley
    1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
    1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Wet Ingredients

1 egg
    1 Tbs crushed garlic
    2 Tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 350-F.

Mix dry ingredients in bowl and reserve until needed.
    Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Add meat and mix well.
    Stir in dry ingredients and knead until well mixed.

Form into 32 1-inch meatballs. Place on baking sheet.

Bake in oven at 350-F for 50-minutes or until center temperature
    of meatballs reach at least 165 degrees F.

Good served with spaghetti or as a meatball sandwich.

False

Asian Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds ground pork 
    1 1/2 pounds  ground beef, extra lean 
    1/2 cup oats, rolled (raw) 
    3 large eggs 
    1/4 cup milk, skim 
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic -- finely minced 
    1 1/2 teaspoons ginger root -- finely minced 
    5 green onions, whole -- finely chopped 
    1/4 cup soy sauce 
    1/4 cup oyster sauce 
    4 teaspoons sesame oil 
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Combine well and Form into meatballs.
    Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes.

False

Rao’s Italian Restaurant Meatballs 

1 pound ground lean beef
    1/2 pound ground veal
    1/2 pound ground pork
    2 large eggs
    1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
    1/2 small garlic clove, peeled and minced, optional
    2 cups bread crumbs (see below+)
    2 cups lukewarm water
    Salt (preferably Kosher or Sea Salt) and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 cup fine-quality olive oil

Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, blend ingredients together. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add water, 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is quite moist.

Shape meat mixture into balls (we usually make large, 2 1/2- to 3-inch balls).
    Heat oil in a large sauté pan. When oil is very hot but not smoking, fry meatballs in batches. When bottom half of meatball is very brown and slightly crisp turn and cook top half. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.*

Lower cooked meatballs into simmering Marinara Sauce (see Salsa Marinara Rao's) or Sunday Gravy (see Rao's Sunday Gravy) and cook for 15 minutes. Serve over pasta or on their own.

+Breadcrumbs: for Rao's style breadcrumbs, be sure to make your own. Using the highest quality Itallian bread you can find, allow it to dry for at least two days. Then, grate, using a handheld grater or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Shake and push the bread crumbs through a medium strainer to get an even texture. 

Note: In place of breadcrumbs, you can use stale Italian bread, white part only, which has been lightly soaked in lukewarm water.

Yield: Makes 28 meatballs.

*If you want to bake these rather than frying in oil, choose method #2 below, borrowed from family-favorite-unsauced-meatballs. 

To brown the meatballs

Method #1--In a skillet, brown the meatballs in the vegetable oil and them remove to a side dish while sautéing remaining meatballs

Method #2--Preheat oven to 425°F. Place meatballs on a jelly- roll-type pan and bake 15 minutes.

Source: Rao’s Italian Restaurant New York cookbook

False