HAPPY NEW YEAR! WHOO~HOO! STOP ON IN IF YOU CAN~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HAPPY NEW YEAR! WHOO~HOO! STOP ON IN IF YOU CAN~

Last post Jan 02, 2012 10:08 AM by az_jill . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR! WHOO~HOO! STOP ON IN IF YOU CAN~

Hi all,

I wanted to wish you all a wonderful, healthy new year before all the fun starts. We'll be pretty quiet here, but will have some of the good luck food.

What are your plans?

Are you having some special food(s)?

Any new year resolutions?

And sending a quick prayer for Gaudry's family, that is so sad!

This is a great soup any time of year but we'll have it for New Years. Very delicious. Will use spinach as it's on a gonga sale.

COLLARD GREEN AND BLACK- EYED PEA SOUP
    (Source: from EatingWell:  January/February 2008)
    Antioxidant-rich collard greens and fiber-packed black-eyed peas have a starring role in this nutritious soup. There's no need for loads of ham or salt pork—just a small amount of bacon gives it a wonderful smoky flavor. You can skip the bacon and substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth for a great vegetarian dish.
    6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each, Active Time: 45 minutes, Total Time: 45 minutes

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, diced
    1 large carrot, sliced
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    5 cloves garlic, (4 sliced and 1 whole), divided
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
    4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
    5 cups chopped collard greens, or kale leaves (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed (I used mustard greens)
    1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
    6 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain, cut on the diagonal
    6 tablespoons shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
    2 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped (used leftover ham)

1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sliced garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Increase heat to high and add broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in collard greens (or kale), reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig. Stir in black-eyed peas; remove from the heat and cover.
    2. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
    3. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Rub each bread slice with the remaining garlic clove. (Discard garlic.) Turn the slices over and top with cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the soup topped with the cheese toasts and bacon.

Per serving : 192 Calories; 6 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 13 mg Cholesterol; 23 g Carbohydrates; 12 g Protein; 5 g Fiber; 518 mg Sodium; 253 mg Potassium
    1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving, Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat

False

• Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR! WHOO~HOO! STOP ON IN IF YOU CAN~

Oh, and not any definite resolutions, but we are always trying to eat healthier so will continue on that track.

Here's one of our favorites. Since spinach was on sale I bought 2 bags, so we'll have this too in the next day or so. Some nice mushrooms are good in this too.

BLACK-EYED PEAS WITH SPINACH
    (Source: Moosehead Restaurant Cooks at Home) (one of our favorites)

1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tbsp vegetable oil (I use olive)
    10 oz fresh spinach
    3 cups or 2 (16 oz) cans of drained, rinsed cooked black-eyed peas
    Ground black pepper to taste
    Pinch of cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes (Optional)

In a large skillet sauté onions in oil for a few minutes or until soft. Add the rinsed, stemmed and coarsely chopped spinach to the skillet. Stir for a minute or two until it wilts. Add the black-eyed peas, black pepper and cayenne if desired. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Serve right away, or cover and keep warm on low heat.
    Makes 4 servings

False

Ring in the new year - Happy new year jill and all my friends- that is a good soup Jilll- my dd will be returning to Dallas on new years eve -

Brie and Walnut Tartlets

Perfectly beautiful on an appetizer buffet, these puff pastry tartlets will charm your guests. Mustard and brown sugar add to the classic combination of Brie and walnuts for terrific flavor.

Prep Time: 50 mins
    Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins
    Servings: 36

Ingredients
    • 1/2   of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
    • 1/3 cup  walnuts , finely chopped
    • 1 tbsp.  packed brown sugar
    • 1 tbsp.  Dijon-style mustard
    • 3/4 lb.  Brie cheese , chilled, rind removed and cut into 36 pieces

Directions

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut into 36 (2 1/4-inch) squares. Press the squares into 36 (1 3/4-inch) mini muffin-pan cups.

Stir the walnuts, brown sugar and mustard in a small bowl. Spoon about 1/4 teaspoon walnut mixture into each pastry cup. Top each with 1 piece cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Let the pastries cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
    False

Gm Ms. Salsa, Happy New Year to you. Those Tartletts looks grand, I'd love to try those!

If you or anyone gets a chance to look at this video, these little appy's look wonderful too for Artichoke Hearts Gratin. So easy!!

http://allrecipes.com/video/442/artichoke-hearts-gratin/detail.aspx

False

Cheers to everyone

Champagne Punch
    2010-05-08 Other

Champagne Punch

Ingredients:

2 cups Cranberry Juice Cocktail
    ½ cup Orange Juice
    1 cup Lemon Juice
    ½ cup Sugar
    3 bottles Champagne, chilled
    Orange Slices, for garnish

Directions:

Mix cranberry juice, orange juice, lemon juice, and sugar. Stir well; chill for at least 8 hours. Pour juice mixture into punch bowl. Garnish with orange slices if desired. Gently stir in chilled champagne just before serving. Nonalcoholic grape juice can be substituted for champagne. Makes 20 servings.

False

Good morning everyone!

Happy New Year's tomorrow too! I'm having a houseful of people and some are starting to come tonight so my time is short. We always make a meal of appetizers on NYE.  This is one of the recipes I made for the party.

Rochelle

Drunkin’ Pretzels

by copperkettleconfections on November 20, 2009 in Appetizers, Snacks

These pretzels are the hit of any party. They have a little bit of sweet-n-spicy flavor with a kick! They’ll leave you craving more.
    1/2 cups Butter, Melted (1/4 cup Earth Balance to make it non-dairy)
        3 Tablespoons Whiskey (3 tbsp.)
        3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar (1 tbsp. plus 2 tbsp. coconut palm sugar)
        1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (3/4 tsp.)
        1 teaspoon Garlic Powder (1 tsp.)
        1 bag (about 16 Oz.) Mini Pretzels (1 16 oz. bag)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

(I melted the "butter" with the brown sugar in the microwave then stirred in the whiskey, sugar, cayenne and garlic and put it all in a zip-loc and shook the bag until they were thoroughly coated and poured them on two baking sheets.~chefly)
    Combine the melted butter, whiskey, brown sugar, cayenne, and garlic in a small bowl. Place pretzels on a baking sheet.

Pour butter mixture over the pretzels and toss to coat.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Toss. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. These are excellent little treats! I hope that you enjoy! Doe NOT need the full 1/2 cup butter 1/4 cup was perfect.~chefly
    http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/drunkine28099-pretzels/

False

Yum~ punch & pretzels! Almost a meal....lol. They both sound great!

I'm glad you could pop in briefly too Chefly. I'm popping in & out, we're on the way to the store to pick up blackberries that are on sale.

Yep, a little early for New Years, but I know everyone is busy, busy so wanted to wish everyone well.

Have a great time with your friends & family Ro.

Hugs~

False

Howdy sweet friends.

Jillie,just saw your email from yesterday and ran right over here.WinkWill have to get DH lunch in a sec so wiil post a recipe(s) later.

We`ll be having blak eyed pesa and greens too.I was going to have lentils,but W said lets stay with the bes.

I using ahve stock from the Christmas ham bone.Boy is it tasty.

Wishing you all a Wonderful,happy,and healthy New Year.Right Hug

Love,

Rosie

False

Great idea Jill! Happy New Year to all of you.

We're just getting over the cooties here so we're staying home, no plans.

Roast Beef & Blue Cheese Spears

• 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    • 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
    • 2 heads of Treviso or Belgian endive, spears separated  (see Note)
    • 4 ounces thinly sliced roast beef, cut into ribbons

Preparation

1. Combine sour cream and blue cheese in a small bowl.
    2. Top Treviso (or Belgian endive) with roast beef and a dollop of the blue cheese cream.

Tips & Notes

• Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
    • Note: Treviso is a slender variety of radicchio.             

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Very Merry Punch

• 1 1/2 cup(s) water
    • 1 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
    • 2 bottle(s)   (750-ml)  hearty red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
    • 1 apple, sliced
    • 1 orange, halved and sliced
    • 1 cup(s) pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
    • 4 whole star anise
    • 1/2 cup(s) orange curaçao

Directions

1. Place water and brown sugar in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
    2. Add wine, apple, orange, pineapple, and star anise. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
    3. Stir in orange curaçao and cook for 5 minutes more. Discard star anise. Serve the punch in heat-safe wineglasses or coffee cups, spooning a little fruit into each glass
    False

Sweet and Sour Pork

Ingredients:           
    • 3/4 pound pork tenderloin
    • 2 - 3 teaspoons soy sauce
    • Pinch of cornstarch
    • Sauce:
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup water or reserved pineapple juice
    • 1/4 cup vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    • Batter:
    • 1/3 cup flour
    • 1/3 cup cornstarch
    • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1/3 cup warm water, as needed
    • Other:
    • 1 carrot
    • 1/2 red bell pepper
    • 1/2 green bell pepper
    • 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
    • 3 cups oil for deep-frying, or as needed
    Preparation:       
    Directions for sweet and sour pork
    Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes. Marinate in the soy sauce and cornstarch for 20 minutes.

To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, ketchup, dark soy sauce, salt, water or juice and vinegar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.

Peel the carrot and chop on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and cut into cubes.

Heat the oil for deep--frying to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the batter, combine the flour and cornstarch. Stir in the egg white and vegetable oil. Add as much of the warm water as is needed to form a thick batter that is neither too dry or too moist. (The batter should not be runny, but should drop off the back of a spoon).

Dip the marinated pork cubes in the batter. Deep-fry in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry the pork until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

(If desired you can deep-fry the pork at second time to make it extra crispy. Make sure the oil is back up to 375 before you begin deep-frying again).

To prepare the sweet and sour sauce, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot, green pepper, and pineapple. Bring to a boil again and thicken with cornstarch mixture, stirring. Check the sauce one more time and adjust seasonings, adding salt and/or vinegar if desired. Serve hot over the deep-fried pork. Serve the sweet and sour pork over rice.

False

E-Mail.  Me no got ~??Hmm  I'll get back with a  few Recipes.  Gotta fly for now.

Happy New Year to All. Wishing everyone a most healthy, Happy New Year. May it be filled with Much Happiness, luck and  good Health.

Sympathies and Blessings are off to Gaudrys.s  Family and Friends.  She was a huge assest to this Board.    Janie  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

HNY!! I'm so happy a few more friends could stop by!

Skip, how is dh? & you? Will Trish & Barry come over.

Nancy, oh no,,, cooties. I hope you are all feeling better soon. I'm liking the roast beef and blue cheese recipe especially, but of course all of them sound great.

Awww Janie, I'm sure I included you in the emaill. How come our emails get lost sometimes? I'm glad you spotted us and stopped by.

Hope anyone that will be out & about are safe. There are some crazies out there.

xoxoxo to you all!

False

Format:

Savory Parmesan Bites

Prep: 20 min., Bake: 15 min.

Savory Parmesan Bites
    • YIELD: Makes 32 pieces
    • COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres

Ingredients

• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    • 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

Preparation

1. Stir together softened cream cheese, 3/4 cup cheese, bell pepper, and parsley.

2. Unroll crescent rolls, and separate each can into 4 rectangles, pressing perforations to seal. Spread 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on each rectangle. Roll up, starting at 1 short side, jelly-roll fashion. Cut each roll into 4 equal pieces, using a serrated knife. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle bites with remaining ¼ cup cheese.

3. Bake at 350° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: To make ahead, place unbaked bites on ungreased baking sheets, and freeze 1 hour or until frozen. Place bites in zip-top plastic freezer bags; store in freezer up to 1 month. Place frozen bites on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Format:

Bruschetta-Goat Cheese Cups

Prep: 15 min., Bake: 5 min. Bruschetta topping can be found in the refrigerated section or with pasta sauces in your local grocery store.

Bruschetta-Goat Cheese Cups
    • YIELD: Makes 24 cups (about 6 servings)
    • COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres

Ingredients

• 1 (1.4-ounce) package crispy pastry shells
    • 1 (4-ounce) goat cheese log, crumbled
    • 1/3 cup refrigerated sweet pepper, vegetable, and olive bruschetta topping or tapenade
    • Garnish: fresh thyme leaves

Preparation

Place shells in a shallow pan. Divide goat cheese evenly between shells, pressing gently to fill bottom of each. Spoon 1 teaspoon bruschetta topping into each shell.

Bake at 350° for 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.

Pesto-Goat Cheese Cups: Substitute 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto for 1/3 cup bruschetta topping. Proceed as directed, omitting thyme leaves. Top with finely chopped tomato and toasted pine nuts after baking.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Siljans Croustades Crispy Shells and Gia Russa Sweet Pepper, Vegetable & Olive Bruschetta Topping.

False

Enjoying  every Minute.