Question: Orange zest vs Orange peel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question: Orange zest vs Orange peel

Last post Aug 02, 2004 1:04 PM by kitchenmagic . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Question: Orange zest vs Orange peel
    Often wondered when seeing recipes asking for orange zest, if you can substitute orange peel (dried). Is it considered the same or exactly what are the differences? I do not always keep fresh oranges in the frig, and I do like recipes that have orange flavoring (peel, zest) in them, expecially chicken dishes and some baked items.

False
  • RE: Question: Orange zest vs Orange peel
    Dorothy the fresh has a better flavor. I've frozen fresh zest or peel and that seems to work ok. Carol
    False

Carol

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question. Found this info on a search.

Lemon, Orange and Lime Citrus Zest or Peel: With just a few movements of the grater, you can add lots flavor with citrus peel, also called zest, to your batter. It's the oils in the peel that gives the fragrant flavor. Key limes are not good for zesting because the skins are so thin, but regular limes are. Fruit is easier to zest before squeezing. Flavored citrus or candy oils can be used to substitute, and I recommend them highly. I often substitute a total of 1/4 teaspoon pure citrus oil PER recipe (you can always add more after tasting)--the citrus oils actually have a more intense flavor than the fresh zest. The oils are very strong, so do not overdo it !

One lemon yields approximately 1 tablespoon of zest.
    One large orange yields approximately 2 tablespoons of zest.

A yield of a lime is hard to predict because the thickness of the skin varies so much. Key limes, because of their thin skins, do not zest well. Use a regular lime, instead.

TO ZEST: When grating the zest, be sure to use only the colored part of the peel, don't grate or cut into the bitter white pith underneath. Choose pebbly-textured (not smooth) and thick-skinned fruit, and then wash and dry it carefully before zesting. Zest are best grated and used immediately. Extra zest can be immersed in a light sugar syrup and kept for a day or two, well-covered. There are a couple of different ways to zest:

1. An easy way is to use a grater with small holes and grate the peel off the fruit over a bowl or a piece of waxed paper to catch it. Use a dry pastry brush or fingertips to remove any zest that cleans to the grater.

Cont. on next post
    False
    2. With a microplane, which is my very favorite kitchen tool (it once was a hardware tool called a rasp), grate the zest. To do so, turn the microplane upside down so the teeth face down with the fruit underneath. Holding the fruit still, move it back and forth so it shaves the peel. The shavings collect right in the trough. You can also hold the microplane over a piece of waxed paper with the fruit on top, grater side up beneath it, and let the peels fall below.

3. Use a zesting tool which peels off thin strips of peel, that can be chopped finer, if desired. You can also use paring knife or vegetable peeler to remove the zest; then scrape as much of the bitter white pith off it as possible. Make sure the peel is yellow on both sides; you don't want the white part or the pith. Chop into small pieces.

Maybe this will clear up questions others may also have about peel vs zest.

False