PCH KITCHEN: 'April Showers bring May Flowers' WELCOME | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH KITCHEN: 'April Showers bring May Flowers' WELCOME

Last post Apr 29, 2012 2:13 PM by Tomcatlover . 70 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 4 of 5 (71 items) 12345
  • Re: PCH KITCHEN: 'April Showers bring May Flowers' WELCOME

Hi Gals, good to see all the posts. Rain expected but sun is trying hard to get thru. It keeps it from looking totally black out. Supposed to get up to 58 degrees today. Maybe up to 70 on the weekend. DD printed out the Housing permit forms so that is progressing finally.

Nancy, good to see you posting. Good you have the webcams to watch while you have to keep those toes up.

Connie, does seem like your brother does have to wait for long time for dr appointment when he is not sure how serious problem is. Hope it will not be serious.

Hi Ann, glad you are having enjoyable time with your visiting friend.

Mary, so sorry to hear your Aunt passed away before you could visit. She will know your intentions were good.

Wishing all a good rest of week.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Mary, so sorry to hear that your aunt passed away before you could see her.  Know she is at peace and no longer in pain now.  My condolences to your family.

Deery, I see we have the same kind of weather today. :(  Hope the weekend is warmer for you.

Hugs, Ann

False

Thank you all for your support in this time for the family. The thing about this, I know when a person passes away, it's not such a shock if the person has been sick for a while, but no one knew anything about this until last week, then in less than a week (after the hospital for a few days) she passed away. I didn't grow up with her around much, so my memories are just ones from my childhood, visiting her house, or she coming to our house. I know it is harder for my mom, because she has so many memories of her "little sister" and the times they had.

I don't want to "dwell" on bad times. Time keeps moving!

I just made a recipe from a cookbook from Jello- it's a pudding dessert, called "puddingwiches". I think they were popular in the 80's. You just make pudding and peanut butter, and scoop some on a cookie, then top with another cookie to make a sandwich- then freeze for 4 hours or overnight. It's a nice treat because they last so long, and you don't have to worry about eating it all up in a few days. It is getting warmer out, so a cool dessert goes good.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Hi Mary,  that pudding recipe is new to me. Sounds like it would be refreshing on a warm day.

Rainy and cold here. Staying in the 40 temps so far. My IP changed there email. It is now powered by Yahoo. Have to learn email all over again. Dang! Just not up to learning new things some days.

Wishing all a nice day.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I'm sure that recipe is on the Jello website, called puddingwiches. I just found some big round cookies at the store (they were oatmeal- but any kind will do- even ones with icing and holes in the middle). You mix 1/2 cup peanut butter with 1 1/2 cups milk  very well, then add the instant pudding (any flavor you want). Mix for 2 min., then top a cookie with about 1/2" of pudding, and top with another cookie to make the sandwich. Wrap each one, or just place on a cookie sheet and freeze. You can add sprinkles to the sides with pudding, but that is optional. They tasted good.

It's only going to be up to 60 degrees today (maybe not that much) because it's cloudy, and rained a bit last night.

Mary

False

Hi Gals, overcast this morning. Sun might make it out this afternoon. Forecast is still saying sunshine and 70 temps on the weekend.

Wishing all a nice weekend where you live.

Hugs, Deery

False

It didn't make it out of the 50 degrees yesterday because of the cloud cover, but today is real sunny and should be in the upper 60's (or 70, if it keeps warming up). My husband has bad allergies now, so our golf game had to be canceled for today. I noticed some frost on our car back windshield this morning, but the plants outside seemed fine.

I printed some more recipes from this website, and made my own with a template for 4x6" recipe cards. I enjoy going to a box of recipes that are printed on cards that I can see well. Since I tape the paper to cards that my church won't use anymore, it is so convenient., then I don't have to buy the card paper to put in my printer. I use boxes that had food things in them that are very sturdy cardboard. They work well. I really like my printer that is wireless because it doesn't have to be hooked up to the computer with a wire, and some wireless printers can print documents from iPads and iPods too.

Mary

False

Hi Mary, I am way behind on technology. Didn't know they made wireless printers.

Clear sunny weekend. Got outside for hour and 15 minutes both days. Maybe more sunshine tomorrow then temps will go back down. Grandkittys were let out. Same one climbed a tree. No too far. They need to teach her to climb down trees.

Wishing all a good week.

Hugs, Deery

False

I like the wireless printer because the ink it uses is about half the cost of the printer we have with a wire. The ink it uses, and many brands, is so expensive (like the price of gold, in liquid-almost). Since I don't bend down and get-back-up very easily, plugging the printer in, can be a "job" for me. We have to keep it unplugged because it can easily be "tripped over" where it is. The wireless is great because you just have to turn it on, and it will do everything for you. There is a scanner on it too, and more.

It got in the lower 30's and clear last night. I covered some sensitive plants outside with sheets- glad I did, because it frosted and I know those plants would have "felt it"! It may be in the upper 60's today, and warmer tomorrow.

I may open windows this afternoon when it gets warmer. I like the fresh air so much- this air inside gets so "stuffy" when we stay "closed up" for very long.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Hi Mary, That is great that the printer has the scanner with it. I just have a printer. I can only open my bathroom window myself. When it gets warmer I have DD open rest of windows an inch or two then they stay that way until when it gets cold in the fall.

You cannot beat a lovely spring day when you have one. It was so quiet outside today. A deer in DD yard and a deer laying under the fir trees in back of my home. But clouds coming in tonight and rain expected rest of week.

Ann, wishing you and Jim a good trip back east to visit your family.

Wishing all you Gals a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Sorry to hear about your aunt, Mary. Condolences to you and your family. When my sister was dying I flew back to Philly, arrived in the evening to learn she had passed in the morning. I have tried not to beat myself up for not being there ....I did the best I could having to go almost 3,000 miles Didn't get to say goodbye but will be able to say hello when I get to Heaven.

We are going to the beach next week so hope it will be nice. We have had wonderful weather since Thurs. or Fri. but tomorrow evening it will start to shower again. Duane is going fishing in the morning for the first time since last year so hope the rain holds off until when they say it will come. It was 66 earlier when I checked. Nice breeze blowing so isn't too hot. Have all the doors and windows open for a change. Washed the car this afternoon and boy did it need it. Some dirty birds pooped all over it so it really needed a bath.

Had p.t. this morning and Wed will start exercises on the left leg. Area around the knee has not been good and had quite a problem getting a script from the dr. They kept getting the request all fowled up, even sent the script to the wrong branch....and that was the original one from three weeks ago, not the new one. Don't know what they were smoking there at the doctor's office! We have been working on the right leg for a number of weeks now and that is better. After math from the black ice fall Jan. 23.

Bought some bags of mulch last week and by Fri. it finally stopped raining so I could put them on the front flower bed. Looks so much nicer now.

Guess Kerry is home, or is it this Fri.?

My lettuce seeds are doing well. Still skinny but growing. hope we get a bunch this summer.

Has anyone heard from Lin lately? I need to send her a card. Bet she misses not communicating on the computer.

Dishes are calling my name. Chow

False

Good morning ladies, Mary sorry to hear of your aunts passing, happens like that in so many cases. I know with my oldest sibling I got to see her before she passed away, had to leave early because I got so sick and had to drive myself back from Mo, but she was so ill that could not even touch her. Made me wish I had remembered her from our wonderful visits before, again sorry for your families loss. Liz that fall has sure take its sweet time healing hasn't it lady, I know you all must be ready for a little sunshine aren't you, even if you all in that part of the country only see it in spurts. Hope it is nice for Dwayne fishing and that he brings home a fish for supper. Ann now are you and Wendy having a girls shoot em out trying to one up each other, hehe. glad you all are showing her a good time out there and enjoying your visit with one another. Kerry did come home this past Friday Liz and we worked ourselves silly, he will leave again in another couple weeks to go back to Michigan, so trying to get some things done and we had a chill day too with some rain. He leaves early of a morning now, comes home later, he has his reg work with the units he works with and helping them with their needs, he has classes during the day now for the next couple of weeks, so he catches up before and after work hours , and he has online course he has a time limit to do it, but he works on that after hours in Detroit too. Kerry surprised me and tilled up the rest of my raised garden on Sat after we both pulled weeds out of it. I planted 3 short rows of potatoes then, yesterday I put up my big A frame and planted Armanian cucumbers, the long one, and some Sumter cucumbers along another short panel, put up another short panel and planted Crowder beans, put in some yellow squash plants and then rowed up hilled ridges and planted Straightneck squash and gray zucchini. I brought up the John Deere and loaded up wood from a old pile we had by the raised beds, pulled them off with a rake first in case i grabbed something I did not want to,  and pried the wooded pallets up and moved them out and raked the dead rotting leaves out and Kerry made a couple runs last night to moved what I had loaded in the tractor bucket to the burn pile and come get the other larger pallets and leaves. I re-strung the weed eater with what strength I had left and worked away with that too, till I ran out of gas, meaning me, not the weed eater. Made jager snitzel last night for supper and fixed Kerry his dinner when he got home and done and ready to eat. Just a busy day yesterday for both of us, him working and all and I try to do what I can around here. Guess I will get out again today, I even cut some small bushes trying to grow around the edges of my compost pile, I had put woven wire up one year as Molly was wanting to get into my bone meal I had put in it, hehe, and it stopped her from doing that, but now I have potatoes making in it apparently from peelings with eyes in them, so maybe some new potatoes from the compost pile, works for me, told Kerry he would look funny with me holding him upside down digging potatoes, hehe. Nope just undo the wire and dig them, we shall see. Nancy where are you, enjoying some nice weather over there too? Hope everyone has a good day and Deery hope you can get some nice deck time to enjoy the wild animals and grandkittys, silly kitty has not learned to stay out of the trees huh? Just a natural thing for them to enjoy, hugs, Connie

False

I'll be going to a memorial gathering for my aunt on Saturday. My brother will be driving across the state, and will pick me up on the way. Her body was cremated, so there isn't a big funeral with a casket. Her brother, in his eighties, is still going, and she was only 65.

On a different forum post, someone put links to a video of a live concert of Simon & Garfunkel, 2008. They look so different, but still can sing! They must be in their late 60's now. Sounded good.

I just put all my houseplants on a website that will tell me when to water/mist/fertilize them- so that keeps it all in order. You can also have an app for devices, so it will remind you when you need to take care of them. Each plant is different, and when you find the one you have from their "library" of plants, you add it to your account and then start. This is so easy compared to trying to remember what to do and when for my plants. Even if you only have a few, you can put up to 9 of them in one account. I have 2 accounts open now, since I put some plants that are outside for the summer on there.

Connie: glad you got outside! Being outdoors is so good for us.

Mary

False

Good morning ladies, up and at em *grin* I have been watching a You Tube site this morning, about gardening of course, hehe. You all know me and my gardens. By the way Mary I am outside quite a bit believe it or not, these ladies are very familiar with my outings LOL. But here is a site for any of you that might be interested, in killing squash bugs, and helping to pollinate many of your plants,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XT5exU7yEtU&feature=endscreen

yesterday I got the post driver and drove some T posts in part of the raised bed, I dug around all 4 of the edges on the inside and threw that dirt towards the middle a bit and fought to get my tiller up in that part of the garden and tilled the heck out of it and raked the dirt back along the edges so all the dirt was tilled. Gonna take the truck down today and haul up a partial roll of woven wire to connect to the posts I put in so I can put some canteloupe seeds next to it to grow on, then bag the melons in panty hose so they can grow, connected to the fence and the hose will expand as they grow, the tops of the hose will be tied to the fence to support them. I actually had volunteer melons come up in the compost pile last year and grew on the fence around it. That is my agenda today, so what is everyone elses? Winds are supposed to get up pretty good, if that is the case I won't be out under the trees, hehe. Kerry put the marinated T bones on the grill last night when he got home about 7:30, I know it was late, but did not want his sitting for to long. Made some homemade scalloped potatoes in the microwave, pre-cooking the potoes sliced thin in some water, nuked them partially, added some heavy whipping cream, butter butter, the real stuff, *grin* and salt and pepper and a bit of flour added with very little water to thicken as they finished cooking on 50% power then. Ummm talk about good, and they are definately not calorie free as you can imagine. Liz did Dwayne bring home any fish from his trip? Hope they had a really good time, nice that he was able to get out hopefully. Well time for me to run in and get me a Wed newspaper and see what is on sale as usual. Last week I got fresh pineapples for a dollar each, so we have been enjoying that, yummy. Some really good canteloupe, sweet, sweet. Have a good day everyone, c u later, Connie

False

Connie: I just watched that YouTube video. Thank you for posting it. I don't grow vegetables in my yard because we are under many Black Walnut trees and their sap kills the plants by "suffocating " them.  I wonder if that solution works for indoor bugs too? He just got rid of that one kind of bug- I tried ants with water, but I'm not sure of other methods to get rid of them. I know vinegar will keep ants away from things, but I wouldn't want to spray vinegar on plants.  I'm having trouble with my lower back muscles and bending over, so gardening isn't so good now. I love it, but my back doesn't! I'm planting flower bulbs in containers, so it's easier to dig them up next fall. I can put the container on a table and pot it just fine. Even tulips planted in a container can stay outside for the winter- so a commercial gardener told me.

I'm making a dessert, a refrigerated pie. It's a Dream Whip pie with added things. I took 2 recipes and made it into one.It is a Rocky Road Dream Pie. I'm making the chocolate dream pie with added marshmallows, choc. chips and pecans. Hope this turns out.

It's a bit cloudy, but the temp. is going up (supposed to make 85 degrees today). We'll see what happens.

Mary

False