Rec./Rev./ Pics....Chicken Wings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec./Rev./ Pics....Chicken Wings

Last post Apr 26, 2012 9:05 AM by sstetzel . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Rec./Rev./ Pics....Chicken Wings

This recipe for chicken wings is one I've been making for a long time.  My Mom and I had picked up this cookbook at a church fair years ago-she made the recipe, raved about it and told me I needed to try it.

They're not your typical Asian-inspired wings-the marinade contains gin as an ingredient-that was a new one for me.  When I saw that ingredient in the recipe, I was surprised Mom had made these-neither she nor my Dad drank gin-and Bob and I don't care for it....she was intrigued enough to pick up a small bottle and give the recipe a try.  BOY am I glad she did-one taste and this recipe shot right to the top of my favorites list.

I don't know what the gin does...you can't taste it in the finished product, but mixed with everything else......I guess it's that one ingredient that makes you say I don't know what's in these, but they sure do taste WONDERFUL.  

One of the keys to the wonderful flavor of these wings is allowing them to marinate a good 24 hours-these marinated about a day and a half.  Baking them in a single layer and flipping them over halfway through the baking time allows them to glaze up nicely on both sides.

They're the perfect mix of soy, garlic and ginger with just the right amount of sweetness-that slightly sticky glaze is finger-lickin' good.

Since the wings are best served warm, I like to make them ahead and put them in a crock pot on low. 

They're perfect to have at a get together-people always enjoy them. 

Carol

CHICKEN WINGS
    (Source: What's Cookin' at St. Catherine's School cookbook, Manchester, NH)

1 c. soy sauce (I always use lite soy sauce)
    1 scant c. sugar
    1/2 c. gin
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    2 Tbsp. honey
    4-5 lb. chicken wings, cut in half, wing tips removed

Combine soy sauce, sugar, gin, garlic powder, ginger and honey; mix well.

Place chicken wings in a heavy resealable plastic bag; pour marinade over.  Seal bag; place in refrigerator and marinate wings for at least 24 hours.

Spread wings in a single layer on a large baking pan lined with foil that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Discard remaining marinade.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 25 minutes; turn wings and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes more or until wings are golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm.

False
  • Re: Rec./Rev./ Pics....Chicken Wings

Oh boy glad to see you review a recipe - I just look forward to your reviews

I dont think I will use sugar - since there is honey in the ingredients

Thank you Carol

False

Hey, Carol---These sure do look good!  I have a half of a bag of wings in the freezer so I'm sure going to try these soon.  Thanks to you and your mom for the recipe!

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Thanks so much salsa-gee I don't know if leaving the sugar out of this recipe would be a good idea......I honestly don't think that the 2 Tbsp. honey is going to sweeten the marinade enough with all that soy sauce.  If you give it a try, let me know how you modify it.

Hiya Carole........these are AWESOME.  Are you talking half of a 5 lb. bag of wings in the freezer?  If so, you could easily cut the marinade recipe in half.  I think you'll like these-we sure do. :)

Carol

False

Carol, I see gin is several bbq sauces. I have one I copied this winter(from All Recipes) so I will put this one with that and try both sauces when the weather is a bit more predictable. It sounds delicious.

Thanks for the recipe and review!

Linda

False

Carol, Those wings look so nice-n-crispy. I never had gin b4 but this one has been copied.

Thanks to you and your mom for the recipe.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Carol--Yep, half of a 5 pound bag.  I'd probably make the whole recipe of marinade cause I'd have to do a couple of breasts for Larry cause he doesn't like wings...talk about weird!  But it'll be a while till I make these...we have so much food in the fridge and I'm making a big pot of chili today.  But one day next week....mmmmm.

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Hi Linda-I'm assuming you're thinking of grilling these wings since you talked about the weather?  I don't know how the marinade would do on the grill-I've found that some high sugar content don't do that well on the grill.....but that's me.  I only do these in the oven and they always come out great for us. I hope you enjoy them no matter how you cook them.

Hi Nancy-I wouldn't call these wings crisp since they're baked in the oven, not fried-but the flavor is out of this world.  I don't like gin-smells like a pine tree to me-but in this recipe?  SO good......and no pine taste!  That's a win for me!  I read in another recipe I use that has alcohol in the marinade that the alcohol allows the marinade to penetrate the meat.  Whatever the case-these are fantastic chicken wings..........trust me!  Wink

Hey Carole-you'll have PLENTY of marinade in one batch for the half bag of wings and the chicken breasts.  I marinated the 5 lb. bag in one batch of marinade and that was more than enough-depending on how many chicken breasts you're going to marinade, you might be able to get away with a half batch for all. 

I hear ya about leftovers and food in the refrigerator-but those are always a good thing, right? 

We have to get in sync with our cookbooks again.......remember when we were sharing recipes from the same books?  I KNOW we have more of the same.........I need to focus and plan.

Thanks everyone,

Carol

False

These are looking good this morning, too. I came back to just look at the picture! lol  Carol, I grill everything I can. Wings used to be a problem, even with different techniques. BUT~grills have gadgets, too. I have a basket that fits over the rotisserie and they just roll around and get yummy without getting near the fire, and I also have a wing rack that  lets me baste as they cook.  They are GREAT for small foods because they actually work! lol

I am going to be sure to give this a try~thanks for sharing the recipe. Linda

basket

http://www.wingsinthings.com/

rack

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/0770-stainless-steel-leg-and-wing-rack.htm

False

Wow ! These wings  look Fabulous !  And I love that Grill basket !  Going to order it asap !  I cannot wait to try both the recipe and that new little gadget !

What a great gift for our 2 sons !  Both have Birthdays  coming up ! 

Thanks bunchs  Carol & Linda ! 

Same concept as The Showtime.  Which I have but is a pain to clean ! 

I cannot wait ~  Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Gm.

Those look Great Carol.

Easy too.

Thank you.

~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Janie, if you peek back in here~Try the Simon and Garfunkel Chicken with the basket.(chicken on the rotisserie cooks in half the time with no burning!) I strap those chickens on the rotisserie and put the basket around them. PERFECT everytime. I bet Carol's sauce would caramelize all over a whole chicken in great-gooeyness, too. Can't wait to try it.

False

Thanks for the tip about just using half of the marinade...that's what I'll do.  I'll probably just do 1 or 2 small breasts for him.  I haven't been making much new stuff lately.  I only made one recipe from the new pioneer woman cookbook--the twice baked new potatoes.  They were good but I saw a recipe by Paula Deen using pretty much the same ingredients but instead of filling the potato skin, you put it all in a 9x13.  That would be a great way to do it for a crowd. 

Yeah, I'm sure we probably have a bunch of the same cookbooks.  I bought a few more recently, and am going to the library used book store today to see if there's anything that looks good.  And I'm betting you bought one or two more, too!

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Hi Linda-we "basic grill" so never thought about doing these anywhere but in the oven-if you decide to try them on the grill-I hope they work out for you and you and your family enjoy them.

Hi Janie!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Thanks Alliea-these wings are really good-our daughter Robin requests them every time we get together.....

I think half the marinade will be more than enough for what you need to do Carole. 

I haven't been making much new stuff lately either-too much turmoil going on so I rely on the tried and true stuff. I have Ree's new cookbook and I haven't even opened the darned thing..........by the time the day is done I'm too pooped to pop let alone read. At least I know it's at the ready for when I've got a hankerin' to try some Pioneer Woman Grub!

Oh I have NO doubt we have matching cookbooks BUT I bet we have a slew of them that don't match and we'd have a BALL looking through them.  Heck Carole-we could start our own library system if we lived close enough.............wouldn't that be fun?????????????

Oh yeah I bought a few new ones-stopped at a consignment shop on the way home from my Mom's and LOOK-community cookbooks..........SCORE! Wink

Carol

False

OK...what can I say besides everything you said to describe these great wings?  I finally made them today and they were the best wings that I ever made.  I've been wanting to make these for a long time now, but always forgot to plan ahead so they could defrost and then marinate for 24 hours! Indifferent  The only thing different I did was to use fresh grated ginger instead of ground.

I only made 1/2 recipe of the marinade, like you said, since I only had half a bag of wings and one breast, and that was definitely enough marinade. (BTW, this marinade is very tasty on breasts in case there's anybody else besides my husband who doesn't like wings!)  This was a very easy recipe to make and the result was excellent.  And I was so happy that mine came out looking just like your picture!!  Thanks so much for this great recipe.

carole

False

-Will Rogers