Trisha Yearwood's Crockpot Mac and Cheese | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Trisha Yearwood's Crockpot Mac and Cheese

Last post Apr 11, 2012 6:26 PM by Alliea . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Trisha Yearwood's Crockpot Mac and Cheese

Has anyone tried this and if so what did you think of it. I printed the recipe off and plan on making it , but thought I would check and see what you all thought of it.

False
  • Re: Trisha Yearwood's Crockpot Mac and Cheese

I have not made this and  although I own one I rarely use a crockpot (nice to know it can be made in a pan in the oven) . This  looked really good on the View Today and Trisha stated of all the things she made she would like to take this one home.

Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese

Recipe courtesy of Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010

Prep Time:
    10 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    --
    Cook Time:
    3 hr 15 min
    Level:
    Easy
    Serves:
    12 servings

Ingredients

• Cooking spray
    • 8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
    • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
    • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
    • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • Dash of pepper
    • 2 large eggs, beaten
    • Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
    • Dash of paprika

Directions

In a large 4-quart crockpot sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Turn off the crockpot, stir the mixture and serve hot.

Cook's Note: If you don't have a crockpot, grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan with butter, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Joy Stated she wanted this recipe from Trisha.

Uncle Wilson's Grilled Onions

Recipe adapted from Georgia Cooking from an Oklahoma Kitchen (c) Clarkson Potter 2008

Prep Time:
    10 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    10 min
    Cook Time:
    1 hr 0 min
    Level:
    Easy
    Serves:
    12 servings

Ingredients

• 6 large sweet white onions, such as Vidalia
    • 12 strips bacon
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • Salt and pepper

Directions

Peel and wash the onions. With the point of a small, sharp knife, cut a 1-inch core from the top of each onion and make shallow slits in a circle around the top.  Wrap 2 slices of bacon horizontally around each onion, and secure them with toothpicks. Then put 1 teaspoon of butter in each core. Season with salt and pepper.

Place each onion on a square of aluminum foil and bring the edges together at the top, leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Put the foil-wrapped onions on the grill and cook for 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. You can also bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool the onions for a few minutes then unwrap and cut into quarters to serve.

False

I have this mac and cheese in the crockpot right now and it will be reay in 3 hours. I will post and let you know what I thought of it.

Plan to make the sweet and saltines tomorrow.

I would like to make the onion recipe but I can not get vidalia onions here, but I am going to make them with sweet yellow onions and see how they turn out.

False

magnabay2
    Plan to make the sweet and saltines tomorrow.

I have made  something very similar to these for over 12 years using Breton Crackers. ( called Breton Brittle)

They are always a hit and the Bonus is how fast they are to make. I have never tried Graham Crackers although I should try those too- to see the difference.~A

Sweet and Saltines
    "After a meal, my mama will always say, 'I need a little something sweet.' If she has dessert, she will inevitably follow it up with, 'Now I need a little something salty.' It’s become a joke at our house. These crackers are so good, you will just keep eating them -- and Mama has her sweet and salty thing covered. Beware ... they’re really addictive." Serves 20

40 saltine crackers
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1¹⁄3 cups)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large jellyroll pan with alumi¬num foil and the saltine crackers.
    In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly. Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly. Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife. Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Substitute graham crackers for the saltines for a sweeter snack. Use 1 stick of butter instead of 2 for a crunchier, saltier cracker.

From Gwen: Use anywhere from 35 to 45 saltine crackers, depending on the size of your pan.

From Beth: I used milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet once because that’s what I had on hand. They tasted great, too.

Key Lime Cake-This looked good to me too. ~Alliea

Cake
    1 3-ounce package lime-flavored gelatin
    1¹⁄3 cups granulated sugar
    2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    5 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1½ cups vegetable oil
    ¾ cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes)
    ½ cup confectioners’ sugar

Cream Cheese Icing
    ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
    1 1-pound box confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick.

Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.

While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confection¬ers’ sugar
    and pour it over the layers on the racks. You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.

Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake. The cream cheese icing is optional. This cake is beautiful and tastes great with just the glaze poured over it. Key limes can be hard to find. Substitute regular lime juice for key lime juice without sacrificing flavor.

From Beth: This is a very moist cake. It can also be baked in a 9 x 12 x 2-inch pan to be easily served in squares.

From Gwen: This recipe comes from family friend Angela Spivey. She uses whichever variety of lime is available in the local grocery.

Recipes and photos from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood

Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood

False