PCH KITCHEN: WELCOME- it's May already! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH KITCHEN: WELCOME- it's May already!

Last post May 31, 2012 4:53 PM by Tomcatlover . 76 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 4 of 6 (77 items) < First23456
  • Re: PCH KITCHEN: WELCOME- it's May already!

Good Morning Girls,

Connie, hope Kerry got home and is relaxing with his honey.  Loved your tomato plants, yummy.  Hope your weekend is a good one.

Lin, good to see you, yes be very careful of the bear in the back yard.  Here alot of people will put amonia in balloons and spread peanut butter on them so the bears won't come back because they create a bunch of havoc.  The bell is a good idea to scare them off.

Liz, shame you had that bad experiehnce with the trout.  Usually they are pretty good eating fish.

Deery, glad you have been getting outside some to enjoy the nice weather.   You are right in our areas you never know what animals are going to show up for the leftovers.  :)

Mary, I have done ribs in the crockpot before and they do come out really tender.  Crockpots are great for alot of things that is for sure. 

Well been a busy week for us here with Jim working long days because they have been burning units around here.  Nice for the overtime though.  Went and visited my friend yesterday for a bit, her niece is here with her newborn baby.  He is so cute.   Not to much planned for this weekend except Jim has been doing some yard work.  We will be going today to pick up a bunch of veggie plants for him to plant up at the helibase.  They have a garden up there so won't plant one here.  Going to get some flowers for our 1/2 barrels for our back porch.  Probably some Petunias and maybe a few others.  Hope everyone has a nice weekend.  Hugs, Ann

False

Forgot to ask if you know anything about Grannybarbie? I understand she was not well in Feb. but that is all I know. She hasn't been on the board so hope she is o.k. 

False

Hi Gals, back to cold rain here. Expected on and off all week.

Have a good week.

Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Good morning. I'll try typing this with no breaks for paragraphs, and see if this
    Microsoft Notepad works any better than before.My memory cells don't work so well
    anymore, and I forget what was said (or asked) and also who said what.That's pretty
    much how its always been with me.One of the schools I attended, I think 8th or 9th
    grade, I was required to recite the Gettysburg Address and Declaration.I could not
    do it, no matter what I tried.So the teacher had it written in her book who had
    completed that and recited it and every day she'd ask if I was ready.Finally last
    on the list was this new student who had missed this part in other schools I went,
    and really had not even a clue what those two things were about, so I put it off
    until about 3 minutes before the bell and she forgot to ask me again. WHEW!Aced
    that one! and sure didn't remind her either since I was the last.... I counted one
    time how many schools I'd gone to and it was 13 in 11 years, due to my parents always
    looking for a better life, and loved moving between FL and IN.I never had a chance
    to make friends or to keep anything I treasured.Now my kitchen looks like I'm a hoarder
    but honestly just don't have enough storage space.And I keep everything but my trash.
    So it is embarrassing at times but I've learned tricks along the way for retaining
    some information.Oh, I've not seen the bear; they must scavange at night most likely
    since that's when most sightings have taken place.I'll keep my shepard hook that's
    bent which is okay for a hanging pot but not feeding any birds, unless I throw it
    far across the yard, like bread, cookies, old fresh vegetables, even potatoes and
    garbage disappears in no time.This afternoon I'll be making gingerbread just because
    I'm starved for it and have everything to bake it.I might also soak some Great Northern
    beans for my crockpot bean soup I experimented with several recipes trying to get the
    flavors of Campbell's or W-Ms, as that is the only one I've had that comes close to the
    red & white label.When soups went over a dollar that was the end of me buying soup.Just
    can't see paying that much.Not to mention $3 or more for bread.Sara Lee is the only one
    worth that price IMO.Would you believe I've only used a Foreman grill once?For a hamburger,
    and it took longer to clean the walls and counter than it took to cook it.Although my
    kitchen stuff include anything you can think, Think I've reached the limit on sitting here.
    Wanted to add I've never made that kind of chicken or eaten any.I make casseroles with
    cooked chicken.I did try out the rotisserie gadget in the bake/toast/oven unit I bought.
    And have bought some chicken already cooked.Pretty good but a lot of waste with all those
    parts I never eat.I've been thinking about putting some white meat pieces and try that.
    Otherwise, just put some in the oven or my little crock pot.Coffee ice cream sounds
    delicious.Might buy some of that; I know where some is when I take a trip to town.

Well now, started this yesterday and and couldn't finish - haven't been feeling all that
    well for 2 days, kind of like hunger pains in the stomach, from not eating enough, thinking
    about some gingerbread with coffee and then get busy later with cleaning.Never run out of
    that you know.I didn't get very far with saying hello to everyone but hope you are all
    well and happy, and a group hug on the way.L

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Well by looking at how it posted, looks as if the lines are about twice as long and need to cut that,, and I'd already cut them down (for a new line) I just saw the Time Stamp, which is handy to know about, also the formatting to cut the line width down, so will try that next. The easiest way to get logged in (for me) is to use the Yahoo InPrivate, which prevents anyone trying to load up spam.So forgot that gadget this morning  on this Reiman page. See you later.

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

I will try this again, must have gotten long winded for toh, typing earlier it shut my computer right down, this time did not even get logged in and down it went again, frustrating. Lin always  good to see your post, I myself don't care how they look, hehe, hey I can read them, probably everyone else feels the same. I have not seen nor heard from GrannyB in ages, maybe Nancy has, and she sure is scarce too sometimes, have to think about calling the big dogs out to go and find her you know. Ann what a good place for the guys to have a garden, at work, since it seems they spend so much time there, or at least hopping the chopper and heading out to fires. I bet petunia will look pretty in your half barrels Ann, been out watering my plants today, getting water down at the bottoms since the tomatoes don't much care for water on the leaves. Or maybe they don't mind Liz? I read somewhere that they don't and down here in this heat, it will sure burn everything up. We could use some more rain, if anyone has any extra send some my way. We got another pool to go up this year, so part of Sat and Sun was spent leveling ground. Kerry was so disgusted with Lowes, a male worker standing up 1/2 isle doing a little bit of something but Kerry saw him watching him as well, Kerry loaded 20 50 lb bags of sand, 1000 lbs, and it just about did Kerry in and he had other shopping to do as well when he took just the sand up to the contractors register and set it to the side. He got another wood cart and loaded it with his stuff and a stout looking male worker asked where he was taking it, to check out Kerry said, down at the other end of the store. The guy grabbed the cart from Kerry and said lead the way, I think Kerry could have hugged him. The casher who asked if Kerry was ready to check out first go round, he told her about the guy just standing there and not offering to help, she told Kerry when he came back to go get his truck and bring it up, and when he did, 3 guys were there to load him, including the thumb in the tail end guy. Kerry started to help load and the cashier said no sir, let them load it. His tractor was used to unload at home and together we worked on leveling the ground. So it has been a busy busy weekend. I think I would have a bell for the bears but rig me something in the house so I could stand inside and pull that sucker LOL!!!! Lin would you mind sharing your bean soup recipe for that so much like Campbells? I too will very seldom ever buy a can of soup at the prices they are now, even the commissary is expensive, I have recently been buying the cream soups I need from Family Dollar store, they are just a bit cheaper. I think probably most of us have used the crock pot for some melt in the mouth ribs. I may do some of those this week, I think Kerry is going fishing on Sat. I said he needs to just take the day away and gooooo, hehe. He'll leave again two weeks from today. Don't know if I said or not, but this time away, one of the class mates got there for Mondays class last week and got a call Tues morning that his wife had fallen and passed away, so he was heading back to Texas, don't know the circumstances other than she had been complaining of headaches, a sad situation in any case. Kerry and I talk about things that could happen, of course to anyone, but I only really have the people from the church now, I finally just told the little boy behind us to not come back anymore if he could not behave, and his MeMe took him home, ohhh well. Then the next day is Papaw had him and two little granddaughters on the golf cart and Aidan started again, and he just sees how far he can push me each time. I finally said :"I have been disrespected at your house and in my own home, now don't come back!" And walked away and his Papaw was hollering at him and maybe mad at me too, don't know and don't care really. I never ever had to put a thing up in my house from my kids and if I told them something once, they knew I meant it and it was not going to see how far they could push me. His grandparents are alot of talk and he sure knows it. So Kerry knows I am pretty much on my own around here. Anna stopped by the other day herself and invited me down but I have not been down there in months and months now, before I lost it up here at the house. Well time for me to hush in case this thing want to shut down on me again., hugs ladies and take care, Lin be sure to eat when you get those grumbles.

False

We bought a new Oriole feeder because the other one would leak every time a bird sat on it. We got a different shaped one. We bought a mix for food, but the granules are 100% sucrose (sugar) with preservatives added and artificial color- I'll just make sugar water instead of buying that again!

Hasn't rained here in 3 weeks now. I don't like going out and watering plants outside, but it is just getting dry- I have to do it, if I want the plants to live. I water 3 of my houseplants with rain water, not tap water, but I only have about 1/4 gallon jug of it left. Many tropical plants are very sensitive to the additives we have in our tap water (like chlorine). Some plants, doesn't matter.

Have more housework to do- better get going! Bye everyone!

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Hi Girls,

Deery, hope the rain goes away for you soon.  It has been pretty cloudy here too and some sprinkles.  The sun is peaking out this morning though.

Lin, Gingerbread sounds yummy.  Yes you need to take care of yourself and eat little snacks all throughout the day to keep you sustained.  I don't mind the way it posted, just glad to see you post.

Connie, I don't blame you about your neighbors, if the little boy can't mind then he doesn't need to be there.  Sad his grandparents don't make him mind especially at someone elses house.  Hope Kerry doesn't have to travel to much this summer. 

Well have been busy here, our friend came down and tilled up our front lawn with his tractor and we are going to put in an automatic sprinkler system and plant new grass.  The other we had turned brown no matter what you do to it.  Went out of town yesterday to get all of that stuff.  Also got some groceries as well so set for a bit.  Well better get cracken here with house chores.  Hope everyone has a nice week.  Hugs, Ann

False

We sure could use some of that rain here! It's been a few weeks, and not supposed to rain until next week. The Memorial Day air show is Saturday, and is supposed to be 94 degrees! I hate that hot airport tarmac when the sun is so hot.

Been searching for more crock pot recipes.

Mary

False

Hi Gals, rain on and off here and in the 50 temps. In the 60s on Fri and maybe 70s on Saturday then back in the 60 temps.

My lilac bushes did their best ever in blooms this year, but rain has ruined their looks.

Hugs Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

That sun sure is heating this trailer up! I opened windows this morning, but it got in the upper 70's before 8:00. I closed up and turned on the AC, so it doesn't have to work too hard and cost me more money. We may be running it for awhile now. These days are supposed to be hot. The midwest sure gets a mix of hot and cold temperatures. Glad it isn't humid though.

I'll try a salmon loaf recipe in the crock pot tonight. Found the recipe on this site. Fish is so much better for your health, but I have a husband and 2 adult boys here, and they love meat! I love fish though.

Mary

False

Good afternoon ladies, hope everyone is having gorgeous weather and enjoying it and has a safe weekend as well. Was nice talking to you the other day Nancy, after we spoke I got a message from Dee, she had hurt her foot, not sure she said of how she did it, but David took her to ER, bones are to small and brittle to tell if it was broke or not but they did put her in a walking shoe and gave her pain meds, I think she is doing a bit better. Kerry is headed to the lake after work to run his boat for a bit and then going back tomorrow evening for some night fishing, he hopes to catch some catfish. I know I can catch some just fine at the meat market in town, lol, or Capt D's, hehe. So today is quiet day and doing a few things around the house and watering my tomato plants, Kerry had to build some bigger wooden cages to catch them up in, they have just grown so tall, some have some tomatoes on them. I was out earlier shaking the blooms to pollinate them, I just have not seen hardly any bees to do the job. I need to get busy and run the vac some and go out to the shop and turn the pork butt over in the brine juice, gonna put it in the smoker tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Hugs

False

Here I am instead of at the zoo. Our granddaughters and their three boys are here from the Spokane area and the zoo was in our plans for today. They're there but we aren't. I had a splitting headache half the night and when I got up it was no better. It was making me a little sick to my stomach so opted to stay home. Getting better now. I know I would have been lying down in the back seat of the car instead of looking at the animals. Disappointed but that's the way it goes. Tomorrow we are going fishing and then on to our grand niece's who lives in the same town as the lake for games and pot luck. Just got a call this morning that another granddaughter and her husband are coming down from Canada next Thurs. on their way to Seattle airport Fri. for a trip to New York. It is John's 40th birthday so they are celebrating in N.Y.C. They want to take us out to dinner for Duane's birthday. The party for him is next Sat. Not everyone has rsvped. Maybe they will wait until the last minute which sure is inconsiderate. I need to know how much cake to order, ect. Maybe those who show up unexpected should forfeit food....good idea?  lol

The rain left us yesterday and is supposed to be sunny until sometime Sun. I think. The kids are going home that day anyway.

Since Duane stayed home he is going to deep fry perch and f.f. in the turkey fryer. Pretty fast in that thing.

Sorry to hear Dee fell. Hope the boot helps with the pain and walking.

Have a good holiday all.

False

Good day ladies, sorry about being MIA so much lately. Good excuse some days and others just lazy I guess. LOL Was going to post after talking with you Connie, then Bill and I got to discussing what was on the menu for dinner and ended going out to out favorite Mexican place in town. Then stopped by WalMart to pick up a few things and ended up getting one of my breathing bouts. Was real glad I had remembered my rescue inhaler. Well no sleep that night and yesterday was a real bad one. But did sleep last night some and do feel more human today......did enjoy our visit Connie, was nice to hear from you and go down memory lane some. :>) Still have not been able to get in touch with Granny Barbie. The phone calls are not going through for some reason. Not even a ring on the other end. The operator comes on and says to try your call later .

Liz sure sorry you missed the zoo with that mean old headache. Do hope that you will be feeling good for the weekend. Oh before I forget, you are the letture queen. Mine has bit the dust this year. No luck with it at all. :>(

Lin its soo good to see that you are posting once again. Agree with the girls , do try to eat something more often. Don't want to see you get sick from not eating.....I'm really one to talk, will do the same thing when here alone during the day.*grin*

Mary how did your salmon loaf turn out in the slow cooker. I usually just make salmon patties. Sometimes fry them and other times when not in a big hurry will bake them in my counter over. Do hope that you have a nice weekend.

Ann do you and Jim have plans for the Memorial day weekend? Would be a good time to get away in your rv. :>)

Deery has the rain let up there yet. Do hope that it clears up for your weekend. I noticed that it has been raining alot where the Decorah Iowa eagles are as well. Checked in on them and was those babies ever wet. LOL Have been watching the falcons on two site and wed. was able to see them banding the Woodman Tower falcons in Omaha, Nebraska. Tomorrow they will be banding the Great Spirit Bluff falcons. That should be fun to watch. They have the banding of the birds in a video on their site from last year and was surprised how big those baby falcons really are......also watching the Missouri Turkey Vulture site. LOL right now its just the mom and dad sitting on the two eggs. so its like watching paint dry. LOL

Sure do hate to hear about Dee hurting her foot, Connie. When you talk with her let her know I am sending up a prayer for fast healing.

Well the kitchen is calling, seems I need to be in there to get that chicken and dressing made.. *grin*

Wishing all a safe and fun weekend and leaving hugs for all

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Me again,

was finely able to get through on GrannyBarbies phone. Papa answered and said she was sleeping. I ask him how she is doing and he said "as good as she can right now" Now isn't that just like a mans answer. *sigh* But I did leave a message with him for her and do hope that she will be able to reply soon.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.