WHAT ARE YOU READING? 5/6 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WHAT ARE YOU READING? 5/6

Last post May 11, 2012 5:29 PM by maryann146 . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • WHAT ARE YOU READING? 5/6

Good Morning all you Readers out there from a sunny bright day in WPA.  Been busy the last few days.  4th great-grandson was born about noon on Friday.  They will be going home about noon today to join his 3 little brothers.  

With the weather like it has been this year my rhodo's are blooming.  It is a month early for them.  

I just finished reading PRIVATE #1 SUSPECT by James Patterson and Paetro.  As someone mentioned on last week's thread this is the second book in this series so I must go back now and read the first one.

Just have started HOME FRONT by Kristin Hannah.  I think it is going to be a good book.  I have two books waiting for me at the library but don't know the titles.

Hope everyone has lots of reading time this week.  

Margaret  

False
  • Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? 5/6

Smile  Congratulations, Margaret, on the birth of your new great grandson.  

False

Congratulations on your great grandson!  What a blessing!

I think I only finished one book this week:  A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. Published in 1950, Nevil Shute's most beloved novel, a tale of love and war follows its enterprising heroine from the Malayan jungle during WWII to the rugged Australian outback.  I rather enjoyed this book.  Different from what I usually read but quite a story.

My reading has been somewhat limited recently.  We became foster parents to one of my daughter's friends somewhat unexpectedly this week, so I now have 2 teenagers in the house. Smile  Wish me luck!

Mary

False

Good Afternoon to all my Library Buddies.

Congratulations to both Margaret on the birth of her 4th great grandie, and to Mary, on becoming a Foster Parent.  Both are rewarding and challenging "jobs."

Mary, when my kids were in middle school and high school, we often had their friends come for a sleep over and then never go home...  I ended up with five extra kids one summer, and hardly remembered where they came from...  I could never have enough kids, had I had a choice.  And what a tremendous testimony to you, to know that your daughter endorsed having one of her friends become a part of her/your household.

I seem to be putting aside more books than I am finishing lately.  Laura Lippman's I'D KNOW YOU ANYWHERE is a great disappointment so far....  I am only about 50 pages into the book, so I haven't given the book the benefit of the doubt, but something is just off...  no rhythm, no continuity, and the character introductions are way off base.  For example, a teenaged girl is named Isobel, but we didn't find that out until 15 pages of her being called "Iso."  Now, to me, that was not a comfortable nickname....  something more like Izzy would have worked.  That is such a minor point that I am not sure if I am getting too picky in my old age, or if my feeling of unease is valid. 

But, I am really loving A DOG WHO DANCED,  by Susan Wilson.  I am close to the end, and it is one of those books where the characters become so close that you don't want to have the story end.  I could read about these people and the dog who dances until next year.....

Today - in about 45 minutes - my monthly family party will begin....  27 coming today, and all the food is done and on the tables (buffet, of course).  to celebrate 5 birthdays, 1 wedding anniversary, 1 20 year retirement, Mothers Day and Memorial Day, and of course, Cinco de Mayo.    But, I need to go turn on the lights and the radios and open the doors - even tho it is about 87 outside, we have the outside fans on and the a/c turned low....  It's Party Time in Tampa at Beema's house.....

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning, everyone. A warm, humid day here in north central Texas with possible storms later on this evening.

I just finished a book by our local author, Judy Alter, called MATTIE. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Here is a synopsis of the book.

Inspired by the life of the first woman doctor in Nebraska, though not based on it, this first novel was written by a former president of the Western Writers of America. Dr. Mattie herself narrates in the informal style of an 80-year-old woman looking back on good days and bad in a long life. In 1885 she became the first woman student in the Omaha Medical College. That took courage, a quality Mattie never lacked as she struggled for years to gain recognition as a competent and progressive doctor. Her career proved more successful than her personal life, which was marred by an unfortunate marriage that ended in divorce. Troubles and all, Mattie is worth reading about in this very pleasant book.

An excellent book and I highly recommend it.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Margaret, congratulations on your new ggs! As Melanie Wilkes in GWTW, said "the happiest days are when babies come."

It has been a cool, rainy week. Over 6" of rain total, and over 3" just from yesterday afternoon through early this a.m., and possibly more this afternoon. A dreary weekend, but good for reading and relaxing.

I   finished  Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden this morning. I mentioned last week that it really dragged for me through the first half of the book, but the second half was much better, and I am glad that I read it. Her books have strong women, and this was no exception.  Overall, I would recommend it, but at least for me, the first half was very slow developing the characters, but well worth the read. It is about the relationship between a mother and her two grown daughters.

I am currently reading Richard Paul Evan's book, Grace. I am about 75 pages into it, and enjoying it so far. His books are usually not too lengthy, and quick reads. This one is about a 14 year old boy whose family moves to his deceased maternal grandmother's home in Utah from California, after his father became ill and was unable to work. He hides a girl, from his Spanish class who ran away from an abusive homelife, in his and his brothers club house behind his home.

False

Hope your all enjoying a relaxing Sunday. I just finished Private one of James Pattersons books and it was good. I mentioned last week that I was going to read all in this series as I started with Private #1 Suspect, this also was good  and now I have on hold Private Games and I think Private London. I just started a new book The Inquistor, only into the forward for now. Everyone enjoy your week, Kathi

False

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend.

Congratulations on the birth of the DGGC. We have DGC #7 due in September. (A boy).

I am currently reading Hometown Ties: a Four Linda's novel by Melody Carlson.

I've only read 2 Krisitn Hannah books and did not care for either. I thought Winter Garden was very depressing. Just my opinion.

Happy partying Beema!

Tammy

False

HELLO READERS,  i HAVE NOT BEEN POSTING, BUT HAVE BEEN "LURKING" TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON. Have also been doing plenty of reading, some good, some OK, some not so good.  You know how that goes.  I do not usually give up on a book too easily. If it is just ridiculously written, I will put it aside, but that is about it.

This week's books have been as follows: COTTAGE BY THE SEA by Ciji Ware, interesting with modern reliving of ancient English History from 1700's  RABBITS IN THE GARDEN by Jessica McHugh, I could not wait for it to end, bad book, bad ending  ,ON SHADOW BEACH by Barbara Freethy, a good mystery with surprise ending., A SECOND HAND HEART a book about heart transplants and the aftermath by Catherine Hyde, good book.  Am now just a bit into OLGA< A DAUGHTER"S TALE BY Marie Campbell, a novel of slave days in early Jamaica, seems good so far.

Will be more frequent than I have been, Carolyn

False

I finished last night, A YEAR IN PROVENCE by Peter Mayle.  It is about a couple who realize a long cherished dream and move into a 100 year old stone farmhouse in the French countryside with their two large dogs.  Beginning with January each chapter tells the story of their life in that month with the last chapter ending in December.  I have always wanted to go to Paris and Provence, France and while the book was enjoyable it didn't provide all the information I was looking for.  I am also finishing up CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL:ANSWERED PRAYERS by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and LeAnn Thieman.  I am loving this book.  I read a little of this every day.  It has very short chapters.  Next up for me is SEE YOU HOME by Jodi Picoult which I found at T.J. Maxx for only $2.00.  I agree with TamaraLynn about WINTER GARDEN.  I really enjoy the writing of Kristin Hannah but this book was just too dark.    Beema, A DOG WHO DANCED by Susan Wilson sounds right up my alley.  I adore my two year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Bella.

False

This afternoon I finished THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins.  It had been recommended by many of you here.  Another group of women I was with a few weeks ago also recommended it.  So I thought I'd request it from the library and see what all the fuss is about.  I liked it much better than I thought I would!  I'll have to request the other two after I catch up a bit on my current library stash.  Thanks for pointing me to her.

Next is HOME FRONT by Kristin Hannah.  Waiting at the library for me to pick up this week are three more books, including CALICO JOE by John Grisham and the latest Women's Murder Club book by James Patterson.  DH is finally reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and liking it as well as I did.

Congrats on the new DGGS, Margaret!  My sister had four boys.  Now she has great DIL's so her family is complete!

Sharon

False

Hello all,

I spent most of last week doing night care for 2 of my grandchildren.  Each afternoon I would go to their house around 3 and spend the night with them until they got on the bus the next morning.  It wasn't hard, but a 50 mile round trip each day and 2 nights of severe weather really took the starch out of me.

Back to normal now after a restful weekend. 

I'm continuing to read the Lisa Weil  triple threat books alternating with Karen (S) White ones. 

I'm number 5 on the new Robyn Carr Virgin River one and have Lisa Scottoline's latest waiting for pick up at the library. 

As the saying goes, "so many books, so little time."

Have a good week everyone.

Marlene

False

Started Joel Rosenberg's latest series with The Twelfth Imam. Fast-paced and exciting -- I really enjoy his books.

False

Hi Everyone, I started The Inquisitor on Sunday and brought it back to the library today. It is on the NY Times Best Seller List but I just couldnt read it, finished  the 1st chapter and that was it, just too cruel and graphic. It was about a man hired to torture people and get them to talk. So glad that I am smart about  something I dont like and just stop reading it. I used to always finish reading a book, hoping it would get better. So I have started another book, something  like Sidney Sheldons Angel of Darkness, although he died in 2007 it is written with another author but I cant remember her name, I am enjoying it. Have a great week, Kathi

False

Good Afternoon, Everyone ~ it is almost 90° here in Tampa, with just a slight breeze to offset the temps and high humidity. Pray for rain, please - we need it desperately.  We are now 30" below normal rainfall amounts and that means water rationing will be coming our way until we make up some of that deficit.  Of course, we don't want it in torrents, or we'll flood.  I know, picky, picky. 

Last week, I mentioned that Kristin Hannah's WINTER GARDEN was going to be a sad book for me, and one that would be difficult to read.  And, now this week, I see that some of the others who have read it agreed - slow to start, bogged down a bit, and a rather depressing sad story.  Personally, I think Hannah could have done a lot better.

And, the other day I mentioned that Laure Lippman's I'D KNOW YOU ANYWHERE is leaving me cold.  Nothing about the story is grabbing me, nothing makes any real sense, so it will be returned to the library, unread. 

I highly recommend THE DOG WHO DANCED.  Wonderfully written story by Susan Wilson, who also wrote ONE GOOD DOG.  She captures the spirit and the voice of the dog, and uses it intermittently with the people who surround the dog.  You will like this book.

I am waiting for another book that I reserved to arrive at the library, probably tomorrow, so in the meantime I am reading cereal boxes and cookbooks.  Tongue Tied

My Sunday paper had a review by our local critic of ROBERT B. PARKER'S LULLABY, a Spenser novel, by Ace Atkins, and she says "In reprising the beloved Boston PI in this book, Ace Atkins gets it right."  The other author who took up the Jesse Stone character didn't quite make the grade of duplicating the same "feel" of the character, but according to our critic says: Atkins captures Parker's distinctive voice, the sardonic, selp-deprecating, sharply observant first person narration that makes the Spenser books so compelling, and so much fun."  I can hardly wait to get my hands on it....  I am number 112 on the list.

I love reading all the posts, and add far too many books to my TBR list based on all your recommendations.  This place is addictive.Yes

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.