Can you use skim milk in a cream soup recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you use skim milk in a cream soup recipe?

Last post Aug 04, 2004 9:12 PM by cfnierVT . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Can you use skim milk in a cream soup recipe?
    I have to switch to skim milk (colored water for us whole milk drinkers but the ole chol is high) and I like to make my own cream soups ( cream of Cauliflower or broccoli are my favs) And so I would like to know if I can get a reasonably good soup from Skim. Thanks for any help. Chris
    False
  • RE: Can you use skim milk in a cream soup recipe?
    yes you can.I assume you are using a thickening agent, so it is just fine.
    False
    What thickening agent should I use? I used to use Cheese but can't have it now. Chris
    False
    Have you tried adding some powered milk to make it richer?
    False
    Have you considered using skimmed evaporated milk? It would probably give your some more flavor than skim milk straight out of the bottle. Yes, you could use cornstarch.

KY Kate
    False
    I do this all the time. Try the cheese burger chowder, I will post, as I use skim in it all the time. If you want a thicker soup you may have to use some cornstarch.
    False
    if you're allowed to use fat free half and half, I recommend it for anything calling for cream in cooking or baking.

It has the richness you are looking for...
    False
    I, too have used only skim milk as that is all I buy and have for years. I have also used the skim evaporated milk in soups and chowders with good results.

You can play around with cornstarch and get some more thickening that way. Just be sure you cook the pastiness out of the cornstarch. Good luck and let us know. Jan
    False
    You could also use instant potato flakes as a thickener. You will not have a potato taste or notice that they are there.
    False
    I forgot but I use potato flakes a lot for thickening. duh! So I guess I will have the same soups just healthier. Thanks All Chris
    False