PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June

Last post Jul 01, 2012 7:31 PM by lin_65 . 63 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 5 (64 items) 12345
  • Re: PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June

Well well, they must have gotten the posting problem fixed, tried a few times since my last post and gave up completely yesterday, their problems and quirks is what has partially driven people from this site I think. Lin so nice to see you post again, your place sounds so peaceful with the trees and thickets and no one behind you, I just cannot get far enough into the woods. I told Kerry the next place we move to that I don't want a easement road in part of our property, zoom, zoom, even if it is gravel and they have made pot holes, they just call in complaints about the road holes, it 1/2 a$$ gets fixed and there they go again. Grump, grump. A couple weeks ago on a Sun Kerry stepped out to the road and flagged a GI and his gal pal down, he had flown through, forgot something apparently, zoomed back through and back again when Kerry caught him, got his name and unit and the guy apologize over and over. Kerry told him it was because of Molly our dog being deaf, she cannot hear anyone zooming through. She goes the perimeter of our property, pottying and sniffing whatever out. Needless to say the guy has driven through a bit slower or maybe he is watching better. I remember you posting your hermit bars Lin or are they in the Magnolia recipes? I just don't bake like I used to, but did buy some fresh strawberries today to make a strawberry upside down cake, need to make sugar free marshmallows first. Ummm it had better be worth it, hehe. Thundering off in the distance, sprinkled just a bit so far. Yesterday we had some nice rain in the afternoon, I was catching some rain on top of the rain barrell as well and watering my plants, then started thunder and lightening, I headed to the house when a big white blue flash hit and I was reaching for the door handle to open and my hand shook so bad I could not open the door! To close for comfort. I am not complaining at all about the rain, it has been much needed. Can''t wait to see your soup recipe Lin, wonder how close it is to the Campbell's, but then again I think the homemade tastes so much better. I have boston port butts in the shop refrigerator brining for the smoker this weekend, won't be able to put them on till Friday afternoon after a eye doc trip to Lake Charles, dread that trip. I had to laugh at your not sleeping well with the apple butter cooking away, ummm sounds good Lin, love apple butter but the sugar does not love me. Kinda reminds me of Thanksgiving turkey almost through cooking and the smell it sends through the kitchen, umm. Time for this gal to get busy, alot of things to do but where to start, wanting to do alot of things. Take care , hugs, Connie

False

Good Morning Girls,

Mary, many people have a hard time getting on this site, myself included.  Ever since they did a new format sometimes makes it impossble.  Hope you were able to get your fresh tomatoes for yourself. :)  Nothing better than a fresh tomato sandwich.

Deery, hope you are enjoying your visit with your son and his wife. :)  Hope his back is doing a bit better.  I understand how back pain can completely mess up your days.  Take care of yourself and hope you are having bunches of sunshine while they are there.

Connie, glad that guy decided to slow down a bit, I would be concerned about Molly as well because she can't hear.  Let me know how your marshmallows turn out.  Will make for a yummy cake that is for sure.  Hope your eye appt goes well, know you aren't looking forward to it.

Liz, your cabbage rolls sound good, love those.  I love the smells of apple butter as well, smells like fall to me which is my favorite time of year.  Hope you are enjoying the weather there.  I am interested in your bean soup as well.  Love soups. 

Nancy, Liz and anyone I missed hope you are all doing well and enjoying your summer.

Been busy here as usual. :)  Had graduation last week and then birthdays this week and a lawn mower races on Father's day!  My friend and I are taking another friend out of town tommorrow for a birthday treat.  Doing a spa day with manicures, pedicures and facials, should be fun for us all. 

Have been laying low here since I haven't been feeling well, just the back and fibro crap as usual.  Can't waite until this week is over so I can relax a bit.  Jim's helicopter is on the board to get assigned for fires, no calls yet but I expect it won't be to long before that happens.  Scary fires for sure.  Well you girls take care of yourselves.  Hugs, Ann :)

False

The next time it is predicted to rain, is Sunday. My plants have been just fine with filtered water (from the refrig.) and I let it sit out all night to get to room temp. It is in the 90's outside today and the next few days, predicted.  At least the air is moving, and not just "sitting still", because the heat just gets horrible then.

My husband had a terrible nausea because he had kidney stones last week, and he passed 12 of them now! I know this isn't a "great subject", but I just wanted to tell a "tip" about that- he has been taking a B vitamin everyday for over a year now, and hasn't had kidney stones until now, and they are nice and smooth instead of "jagged" edges- if you know anyone who has kidney stones, this might help.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Good Heavenly Days! I posted at 11:09 and that was a wait to go, and now is the first time I could get a reply page or whatever its called. That is just ridiculous! Hope you'll be able to read this color. I'm having a terrible time with light colored text they have started to use in magazines unless I'm right under a light bold, most especially orange. I'll switch to another color for this.

My (Version to try Cloning)  Bean Soup

It has vegetables and your choice of ham or bacon. I used Bacos the last time to season mine, but have given thought to adding a tiny smidge of liquid smoke for that subtle, smoky flavor in Campbell's. I think that's what it is; feel free to adjust seasonings or substitute what you would prefer. That's the sign of the creative chef, is it not? Big Smile

8-16 oz. Great Northern beans, cleaned, soaked, and drained

4 cups water, to cover beans

14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice

1/2 - 1 cup diced ham, or fried & crumbled bacon, the pre-cooked bacon for microwaves, or real bacon in jars (I've used Bacos also)

4-8 oz. tomato sauce (tomato paste is ok, watered down a bit)

2 med. potatoes, 2 carrots, and 2 small onions, finely diced

1-2 T. instant garlic, or 1 tsp. powder (can omit)

Salt and Pepper to taste

I pre-cooked the beans while getting the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot and turned on medium to get those warmed. Save back the water until the drained beans are added and mixed well. Then add the water to cover. A large soup pot can be used on the stove top too. Keep barely covered with water during the cooking stage and stirred up from the bottom.

I don't use bacon grease but I'm sure it would add a wonderful flavor. About an hour before being done, I remove 1/2 and coarsely mash the portion in the crock pot with an immersible blender (sometimes referred to as a "thunder stick" and other names). Put reserved bit back into the soup and cook until done, about 6-8 hours. 

As my little crock has only 2 speeds, no medium, I didn't note the time, sorry. Using 8 oz. of beans made about 4 servings for myself.

I've also thought a quickie version of this could start with 2-3 cans of refried beans. Just a thought. Maybe use 1-2 cans for my 1-1/2 quart-size.

Hope you can make sense of this. Linda

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Hi Gals, I am having a grand visit with Son and daughter in law. They arrived Monday night (12 hour drive) while I was at DGD promotion from 8th grade. I talked more in 2 days then I have the last 3 years being along. DS's back is doing fine so far. He is doing some weed eating until we go to DDs for dinner at 5pm. DD company left this morning. We all (9) had weiner roast around fire pit Tuesday night. This morning son and daughter in law and I went to Willamette National Cemetery to see DH vault. Lunch at Applebees on way back home. Sunshine over Portland. Some sun and overcast to west where we are. Also having fun with their 2 little dogs. (babysitting) They are lap dogs.

Hugs to All,

Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Deery I had to smile a weepy kinda smile at your talking more in two days that you have in 3 years of being alone, it does get lonesome doesn't it for you. Ahhh at least the voice box is getting a nice work out isn't it! How great that your son and DIL have got to come have a wonderful visit with you. Gosh so much going on now isn't there, with DD company, more of your family coming in, kids graduating and finishing up school for the summer and to top it off you getting yard work done, hehe, but the weiner roast sounds the most fun, hehe. So glad for you Deery. How long will they get to stay before going home? We had a little more rain yesterday evening, nice, need all we can get so I am grateful for it. Hope everyone has a good day and enjoys a nice weekend. Kerry comes home tomorrow, so will start the meat smoking this afternoon late when I get back from the eye doc, anyone wanna go in my place? *smile* I know, I know, no takers. Ann glad you are keeping busy, hate to think your Jim will be going out fighting the fires, but know that is part of his job, off to a busy start aren't they, did you all finish putting in your watering system or got to try it out yet? Well I am gonna surf for a bit see what's going on in the world, have a good day, Hugs, Connie

False

Linda: thanks for the recipe. I use my crock pot for soups, and just use the Low setting for soups, since it cooks nice and slow- I'm sure that is what you used. I bought some dried beans in a bag, and used their seasoning packet that came with it- I don't know if it was that bad, compared to other recipes where you add a mixture of spices. I bought some more dried beans, and will wait a few weeks before I make it again, since those dried beans last so long, I'm not in a rush.

Deery: glad you are having good talks!

Hot here today (supposed to get to 94), at least there's air conditioning!

Mary

False

Good morning, doing a bump up for Happy Fathers day wishes for your husbands and hoping everyone has a great weekend. Just a bit ago took some pork roast out of the smoker, used Mesquite this time, we shall see how it turns out. Ann about my eye appt, it was almost a waste of time, other than finding my eye pressure has gone back up again, so on different drops and I go back in 6 weeks to have it checked and another field vision test done, I told Dr Y what happened and not being impressed with gal who did it and her keeping the machine moving suddenly. He is going to make sure I am not charged for that test and also Dr Y and his assistant could not even find the tests results, were still searching when I left! So back to some new drops and we shall see. How did the girlie girl day go Ann? Hope you all had fun. Talked to Dee yesterday, she had called with question about the strawberry upside down cake and then emailed me that it turned out delicious. I am making it this morning, got the marshmallows made, and umm well they do have kinda the texture of the marshmallows, but I used s/f maple syrup and I can taste that. But I think they will work great for the cake Ann. Gonna fix some ol settler baked beans and maybe make some pasta salad, the cheaters kind, from a box and doctor up more, got them on sale at the commissary the other day. Wonder where Nancy and Liz are, hope they are doing ok, they will be so glad too, to see that our Lin has posted. Lin thanks for the bean soup recipe, will give it a try, looks good, love a good soup. I am not one to use a slow cooker often, as you say Lin, those smells being a killer, hehe, and it takes so long when you want it faster, so my cookers are put away most of the time, but handy if I need them. May pull out one today for the baked beans, don't know yet. Have a good weekend, hugs, Connie Ann, by the way Dee was wondering about Jim also, she thought maybe he was already out on the fires, but I told her you said not yet, anyway, heads up that Jim is in our prayers, stay safe Jim! Kerry should be boarding his first plane for flight home now, whoopeeee, safe trip home for Kerry too........

False

Hi Girls,

Connie, well that just plain stinks about your eye appt, sorry to hear the pressure has gone up.  Hope the new drops help make the pressure go down.  Hope Kerry has a safe trip home.

The girlie day went well, had alot of fun and our birthday girl enjoyed all of the pampering.  :)  Long day but it was a good trip.  Tonight will be her surprise 50th party that she has no hint of so that should be fun.  Jim is still home so far, but never know when that call will come.  Well better get, I need to get some things done.  Hope you have a good weekend.  Hugs, Ann

False

hehe, I can just see you all having a blast at her surprise party, the best kind huh? I surely understand that waiting for the ball to drop when Jim gets called out, so you all just have alot of fun tonight and before he takes off, well just enjoy yourselves. When our guys are gone we kinda know about being the weekend wives, or been a while since I saw my honey, hehe. Been busy this morning, my butts are done and pulled, now my own butt is starting to drag, I think I am going to be hopping in the pool and seeing what happens. LOL, I went out last night, started to go down the pool steps and my toes hit cool water, OOPs decided it was a bit to cool so came back into the house *grin* Kinda over cast and breezy so it may not be much warmer today, think I will chicken out LOL. Need to get some broccoli and cauliflower out of the freezer, gonna make some with penne pasta and some Velveeta cheese and cream of chickie soup, have not made it in ages, c's ya, hugs, Connie

False

Hi Connie, Mary, Ann and rest of Kitchen Gals. Company left early this morning. Had a fun day yesterday. DS/DIL took me to coast. Nice sunny day. Face got a little red. Had lunch looking out window at ocean. Clam chowder and ceasar salad. I slept all the way back home. DD/Family came over in evening to say good-bye to DS/DIL. DS/DIL may try to come back up in October if Son has more vacation time to take off.

Connie, glad Kerry will be coming home for a bite.

Ann, have fun at birthday party.

Wishing all a nice weekend and Fathers Day Sunday.

Hugs, Deery

added later. There were 11 of us around fire pit for weiner roast. I think I put 9. Son in law had his sister and bro in law and their 2 grown children. Besides my daughter and daughter in law having the same first and middle name and same birthday 3 years apart they were also born in the same hospital in California.

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I made a special dinner for my husband for Father's Day last night. It was from this site. It is Scallops and Mushrooms. It is made in the microwave (good way to cook scallops because you can cook at a low power and still cook well- they are so sensitive), so it cooks very fast and simple. I just had some fresh mushrooms, sliced, add to a glass cake pan or microwave big bowl, add sea scallops and pour a sauce over it all. Cook and stir. Turned out like a restaurant-style! I also made a fruit dip I found in Taste of Home magazine. It just is lemon pudding and sour cream. I sliced apples to go with it. My boys don't really like mushrooms, so they had pizza instead. I'm having the rest of the pudding mixed with blueberries this morning. Yummy.

It's hot this week (90's everyday). We had a bit of rain on Saturday evening, but it was only a few hours, then was gone. We really need a long and steady, slow rain to get the soil moistened up again.

Mary

False

Good morning ladies, bump, bump bump, hope everyone is just busy lately. Deery how are you feeling now, enjoying the memories made while the family was visiting? Did son get to doctor to see about his back? Hope so. Doing some laundry this morning and took meat from the freezer to make for supper. Last night I fixed us a omelet with American and Swiss cheese, fresh mushrooms and then fried yukon gold potatoes, with onions and smoked sausage pieces in it as well and baked some frozen biscuits and we ate while watching a series on tv, yummy supper. Gonna fix a Mexican layered dip for supper tonight, that will be plenty for us. I have been procrastinating about making some homemade tamales, may wait for cooler weather. Liz how are you and Duane? Must be busy as well. Lin are you having troubles getting on. .I had to d...o a shut down .this m.orning, this crazy site is now putting dots between some of my letters, and then it just took off on its own, making lines of dots, had to back track to delete, guess I will shut down this site, have a good day everyone, hugs

False

Good afternoon ladies, going to make another attempt at posting. This site has a mind all of its own. LOL.....since most of my sitting down time is spent with the toes up again have not been really up to dealing with any more than checking out the cam sites with the birds. Have a cordless mouse that allows me to sit far back from the putter and make my way around the internet. Handy!!.

Connie its good to see that your sweetie is back home with you now enjoying your yummy goodies. Your dinner last night sounds mighty good. Have you been getting any rain there? We have clouds come up just to tease us and then drift away. Sure need a good soaking here. Water bill is through the roof from Terry needing to water but its paid off with beautiful tomatoes this year. Sooo good.

Deery it was so good to read all about your company. What a good time it just had to be with DS and DDIL as well as your DD's guests. Know you will be counting the days for DS's and DDIL's return trip this fall. Are you seeing many baby fawns there yet? We have quite a few this year, so sweet and fun to watch.

Lin its so good to see your posts again and see what you are up too. That soup recipe sounds much like what I make. Never use a recipe for soup but did copy yours down to try later. Do have some ham that will be needed to use and soup sounds just like what the doc ordered....yummy! Have you been having any little black bear visitors. Been reading all about your area and all of the bear. Just wish we had some in our area. South Texas has a few but they are none here.

Ann is Jim still home? Everytime I see all of the fires on the news my first thought is of you and Jim. Do hope that you are feeling well.

Mary your Father's day dinner sure sounded yummy. Have not prepared scallops in ages. Just never think to buy them and we all enjoy them. Will have to try the microwave next time I remember to get them. Sound like my favorite way to cook....easy. :>) Do hope that you are having a good day.

Liz since my first lettuce did not make it have planted some more in a long planter. This time it is looking better.:>) Bet you are really enjoying some nice lettuce on your sandwiches from your harvest about now.

Well girls now that the owls and falcons are all fledged and gone and the eagles won't be with us much longer I have found some new babies to watch. Have any of you seen the Missouri Turkey Vulture site.? This morning their two little balls of fluff hatched so of course I just had to be there. LOL The more I watch them and read about those birds the more I really enjoy them. Here we laughingly call them county workers....they do keep our roadways nice and neat.:>)..........will post the site and a couple of videos on next post in case you would like to check them out.

Need to get away from this keyboard and get the toes back up but did want to drop by for a howdy do.

Wishing you all a great week.

hugs, Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q80ngvIJm0&feature=youtu.be

New vulture babies. Just hatched today. One is still wet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2lVb0MUJxQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

This is mom on day selecting the nest

Here is the site

http://www.ustream.tv/missouriturkeyvultures

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.