need budget friendly recipes to feed homeless | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need budget friendly recipes to feed homeless

Last post Apr 11, 2013 10:16 PM by Gac1981 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • need budget friendly recipes to feed homeless

I have volunteered to cook meals that we will be transporting to a known homeless camp in our city.  Do any of you have inexpensive recipes for main dishes and desserts that would feed approx. 40 hungry souls?  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.  Also, if I make big batches of cookie dough such as chocolate chip or peanut butter how long can the dough be refrigerated unbaked?  As you can see, I am a rookie at this, but very motivated to learn.

False
  • Re: need budget friendly recipes to feed homeless

Casseroles is probably the way to go for the most bang for your buck.  Macaroni with meat, spaghetti/tomato sauce.  Mac and cheese with ham and broccoli.  Ham and cabbage, sheppard's pie type, bean casseroles.  If you belong to a warehouse store like BJ's, Sam's or Costco, you can get huge amounts of ground beef at decent prices. Soups maybe in colder weather.

Cookie dough can be frozen, either in balls to be baked later straight from the freezer, or in batches.  Also, cookies can be baked ahead if you have a chunk of time, and frozen to use as needed.  Brownies might also make a nice dessert on occasion ~ probably a little more expensive, but maybe more filling than a couple of cookies?

Good luck, and thanks for looking out for those that are invisible to so many!

False

What a nice thing to do!

I am assuming you have checked with the town with this matter? I remember reading that ome areas have really cracked down with feeding homeless guidelines. From there, I will just keep my mouth shut and applaud you!

The first thing that comes to my mind is beans. Ham(bones) and bean soup with trays of cornbread. Hot dog and beans with loaves of bread. We aren't homeless thank goodness and we like those. Maybe you can get a market to donate burger or lunch meat for sloppy joes or cold meat for warmer weather?

I am sure this will be a rewarding experience for you~

False

Check out this site:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/holidayandpartyrecipes/a/crowdcooking.htm

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Two weeks in refrigerator or up to 1 year in freezer
    False