Rec./Rev./Pics....Pink Lemonade Gooey Butter Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec./Rev./Pics....Pink Lemonade Gooey Butter Cookies

Last post Aug 30, 2013 8:30 AM by mamaknowsbest . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • Rec./Rev./Pics....Pink Lemonade Gooey Butter Cookies

When grocery shopping, I always hit the baking supply aisle to see what's new on the shelves.  While at Super Walmart a few months ago, I spotted Pink Lemonade Cake mix and cookie mix.  I'm not one to get cookie mix in a box but do like to have miscellaneous cake mix flavors on hand to mix up one of our favorite cookies-Gooey Butter Cookies.

I've had this recipe for years-I got it from a Cookie Club newsletter.  The original calls for yellow cake mix.......they're good.......but I much prefer using different flavors of cake mix for them.  I saw Paula Deen do a chocolate version on one of her shows.....the chocolate are really good but our favorites are the ones made with coconut cake mix-something VERY hard to find these days here-and ones using lemon cake mix.

I picked up a couple boxes of the Pink Lemonade cake mix-THANK YOU PILLSBURY for keeping your cake mixes 18.25 ounces-with every intention of using one of them to try these cookies.

I went with the recipe I use for the Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies and also used the trick I found during the holidays for rolling the cookie dough balls in granulated sugar BEFORE rolling them in confectioners' sugar.  The confectioners' sugar doesn't melt into the baked cookies as quickly as when you just roll them in confectioners' sugar. It had been raining pretty much all week so there was a lot of humidity in the air-the confectioners' sugar did eventually melt into the cookies after a few days but you know what?  That's OK-they're STILL delicious.

I normally like cookies that are crisp/chewy-these are an exception. They're a lovely pink color and the cookies are velvety soft-they almost melt in your mouth.

I'm so happy I stumbled upon this cake mix flavor.  Since buying it at Walmart-I also found it at my regular grocery store so I bought a few to tuck away in the freezer for another day. 

If you're a lemon lover like I am-the next time you're grocery shopping, take a peek in the baking needs aisle and see if you can find this cake mix flavor-I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Carol

PINK LEMONADE GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES
    (Source: adapted from a recipe found in a Cookie Club newsletter)

1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. Pillsbury Pink Lemonade cake mix
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 egg
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    Grated zest of 1 large lemon
    Granulated sugar for rolling
    Confectioners' sugar for rolling

Cream butter until soft and creamy.  Add cream cheese; beat until smooth.

Beat in egg, lemon extract and lemon zest until combined.

Add cake mix; beat until well mixed. If dough is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate 1-2 hours until easy to handle. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll balls in granulated sugar to coat, then drop them into confectioners' sugar to coat well.  Place the dough balls 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets; flatten slightly. 

Bake @ 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes. DO NOT overbake.  Take cookies out of the oven when they look a little underdone. 

Let the cookies cool on the pan for 1-2 minutes; remove to wire racks and cool completely.  Store in an airtight airtight.  Makes about 2 1/2-3 dozen.

False
  • Re: Rec./Rev./Pics....Pink Lemonade Gooey Butter Cookies

Those are so pretty Carol, would love to just reach out and grab one! They sound excellent too.

Thank-you, such a great rec, rev, & pics, a couple of tips thrown in too.

False

Wait until my girls see these cookies! They love lemonade, especially pink.

Thanks Carole.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

az_jill
    would love to just reach out and grab on

me too

thanks Carol for sharing this review they sound and look delicious

False

*almost* too pretty to eat!  :)    got the cake mixes on my list, I normally do Betty Crocker but have had disappointing results lately with the "smaller" mixes.

Thanks so much for the recipe, review and beautiful pictures Carol!  :)

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

These are  beautiful and I am sure yummy.

False

Thanks Jill-they are pretty----and tasty too!

You're welcome Nancy, I hope you can find the cake mix and your girls enjoy them.

Thank you salsa-I love how easy these are-and good tastin' too.

Hi Jolene-I know for sure Market Basket has the cake mix...not sure about Shaws.  I thought the same thing, boy they're almost too pretty to eat-somehow I got over that thought pretty quickly.  I hear ya on the smaller mixes-I won't buy them......the dang things cost enough as it is without the lower amount ruining  the recipe I'm trying to make.

Waving hi and thank you janicestar.

Carol

False

WOW, Carol! These are truly BEAUTIFUL as well as mouthwatering! I completely forgot about the Gooey Butter Cookies. I got the (vanilla) recipe from Paula Deen several years ago and won the Christmas Cookie contest at work with them. I have been watching for the Pink Lemonade Pillsbury cake mix for months now, but they STILL aren't in our stores.The cookie mix is in our Safeway, but, like you, I don't buy cookie box mixes. I will buy a bunch of the Pink Lemonade cake mixes as soon as they are,available here though. I am with you about the companies using the reduced-size cake mixes! Boooo to them! I won't buy them, either! I hope Pillsbury doesn't bend to the "peer pressure" and reduce their cake mix size! They are the only ones I will buy now. Thanks again for the recipe and beautiful pictures---can't wait to try them!

Toni

Gommy of 5

False

I hate to tell you Toni-Pillsbury already downsized to 15.25 oz-ALL of their mixes-just like Betty Crocker did.

The only cake mixes that haven't are the "Signature" Duncan Hines mixes which are the lemon, spice, orange, marble. etc.........all their chocolate, yellow, white and butter golden mixes are now 16.5 oz.  Do you have an Aldi's near you?  Their mixes are still 18.25 oz.

I know Super Walmart still had the Pillsbury Pink Lemonade Cake Mix when I checked a few weeks ago.........but I bet they'll be pulling it off the shelves after summer is over if not before-AND since they downsized the mixes, double check on the weight.

What a pain huh?

Carol

False

Boy Carol, do they look good! We don't have a super Wally World in my area in NY but when we get back to Florida there's  one about an half an hour from us.

For now I'll save the thread and will look for the mix this winter and will  give it a try.

Thanks.

Linda

False

Oops--you know, they say the mind is the first thing to go and apparently mine left for a while. Must be "half-heimers". I can remember 1/2 of the stuff I need, but forget the rest. I checked my pantry in the garage and there were my red Duncan Hines boxes, not blue Pillsbury boxes. LOL!! Think I will call my family members who live upstate here in Oregon (I am in the southwest). They usually get items in their stores before we do.

Yes, it is a pain. Like most people, i like a nice, tall cake---makes a nicer presentation, too! I might have to go to scratch cakes all of the time, instead of just "sometimes". 

Toni

Gommy of 5

False

Those look wonderful Carol- Pretty in Pink .

I always like Cream Cheese in Baked Goods.

Thanks for sharing  the recipe and pic for such pretty cookies.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Hi Linda-try looking in the summer clearance aisle if you have a Target store near you-a lot of people said they found the cake mix there. Or check the regular Walmart-they might have it if they have a grocery section.  These cookies are just as good with a Duncan Hines Lemon cake mix........no they're not pink but they sure are tasty!  I don't think Pillsbury will be selling the Pink Lemonade cake mix after the summer-and if they do, the amount will most likely shrink to 15.25 oz.

OMG Toni......."half-heimers"........I have that too!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm thinking the same as you-scratch just may be the way to go-at least we know what's in the mix-NO preservatives or chemical additives, right?

Waving hi and thank you to Susan!

Carol

False

gommyof5
    "half-heimers"

Ha!  I think I have that too!

Carol those cookies are SO pretty!  I've seen those cake mixes someplace, I'll have to snag a couple for future baking.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I think I have three-quarter-heimers today......sheesh.

If you see the mixes anywhere Sue, you'd better grab them...I have a feeling they're one of those "seasonal" items.  I grabbed some extras and froze them just in case.  Glad I did since Pillsbury did the deed and took 3 oz. out of their cake mixes..........Super Angry.

False