WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN- AUG. 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN- AUG. 2012

Last post Aug 31, 2012 10:05 PM by Deery . 50 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 4 (51 items) 1234
  • Re: WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN- AUG. 2012

Mary, hope you and your family have a good trip. Always nice to get away.

Nancy, hope you are getting your rest. A pot of soup sounds good. Hope Debbi is okay and can get her tooth pulled soon.

Been cool here but supposed to get up to 80 today and then stay in 80 temps for a week. Been reading my library books. Enjoying the cozy mysteries. Reading a Joanne Fluke mystery now. She has good recipes in her books. One is Mini Mac Cookies. Mini macaroons with mini chocolate chips. I was able to print in out. The other one I like is Brisket and Veggies. I have not been able to find it to print out. Mary, it would be perfect for the slow cooker. It is supposed to be baked in the oven for 4 or 5 hours. I think her recipes will be put into a recipe book in the future. Website is:  murdershebaked.com

And here I thought I had nothing to say.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

"Recipe deleted at the request of the owner"

Ladies run and get you some delicious fresh peaches, this is a really good recipe. Kerry took them to work yesterday and they went over great, going to make some more today or tomorrow after I come back from doing laundry and looking for some more shirts for Kerry. I sent a pic to some of you yesterday of wild horses at Ft Polk, check your email and enjoy. Kerry said he will take me out there some time between rotations, when there is no live fire going on of course, hehe. Huge herd of them. Hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant weekend, same ol same ol here, kerry working and me at home. Please keep Chris and his family in your prayers, he leaves for Antarctica again on Wed, that he has a safe flight and the other Chris Harris does not get his seat again, now how strange was that! Time for him to go play with the penguins again I always tell him. I am always in awe at going someplace like that, to live in those conditions but I know people do full time, but still just amazing. Ann hope your honey is home from time to time as well and staying safe. God Bless our Troops and prayers for those families that lost their military loved ones. Hugs, Connie By the way, copyrights go to Barbara who is credited with this recipe, thank u

False

Hi Connie, it is good to hear from you. Recipe sounds delicious. Prayers for Chris. It is amazing that people can live under those conditions in Antartica.

Hi to rest of Gals. Wishing all a nice weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Back home! Great to get on the computer and chat again. The app I have for my iPod doesn't have the same easy features, and the screen is harder to read too.

We went to a few old "mills" in MO. That was neat. Then we went to different family cemeteries for family of my husband, and found many old gravestones and we took pictures of them and my husband got the GPS coordinates for them, in case we want to find them easily. I'm on ancestry.com, so I'm going to add them to his family tree (you can add pictures or written stories too). We saw a relative stone that was born in 1750 (not easy to read on the stone, but we could see the name and date- glad we got pictures). We saw civil war soldiers that weren't related, but it is neat to see.

It cooled down in the 80's today because it is cloudy. Maybe we are done with the real hot stuff now.

Great to chat!

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Mary, so glad you had a good trip. Sounds interesting to see the family gravesites. Glad you got more info and pics for your family tree.

In the hight 90 temps yesterday. Had the fan running all night. Back to mid 80 temps today. Later in the week we are supposed to have 3 days with 90 temps.

Wishing all a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

It will be in the upper 80's today and 90's the rest of the week, but at least it's not in the triple digits!

I'll be cooking a meatloaf in the crock pot. I have meals most of the week in the crock pot- so much easier for me to use.

My son is at the University getting his classes all scheduled for this fall. He is going a few years late, but wanted to build up money to pay for it, instead of a student loan that he would have to pay back with interest, for years.

Let's keep chatting!

Mary

False

Good day ladies, sent Mr to the store so have a few minutes to check out the board and drop by the kitchen. A retired husband can sure get to be a pest when there is no football and car races to keep his nose in the TV. LOL

Mary so happy you had a enjoyable trip and are back home safe and sound. Wise for DS not to want alot of student loans these days.

Deery is your DGS all ready for college? Bet he sure is excited. Now you try and stay cool with the heat. Know you folks are not use to it getting so warm.

Ann is Jim able to get home very often. Have been watching the news and all of the fires going on in the western states right now. Prayers for all of the men and women to be safe while protecting others from the fires.

Connie I did copy off the muffin recipe and plan on giving it a try soon. We have been getting some lovely peaches but afraid we have be munching down on them before I have a chance to bake with them. LOL Did receive the lovely picture with the wild horses. thanks....was surprised that LA had them there. Have seen them in the western states before and its so nice to see them running wild.

Liz, how are you and Duane doing these days? Has Duane been doing much fishing lately? A nice big trout really sounds good about now. Bill use to catch to nicest ones here in the river but with all of the new rules and regulations when it comes to fishing here now he has just lost interest.

Lin , noticed that there was alot of storms up toward your area yesterday. Not sure it they made it to you but hope that all is well with you.

Last friday we had a wind storm come through here, really wiped alot of trees out in the area where we use to live but only damage we got here was my monator bit the dust from the lightening. Bill went into town and picked me up a Sansung. Sure do like it. Much larger than my old one and its great to see a whole page without sliding it over. :>)

Well the washer just stopped so need to get the clothes in the dryer so another load can go in. Been putting it off for a few days so now have a good one. LOL

Wishing all well and sending hugs along the way.

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Hi Nancy, good to have you stop by. You will have to have Bill run more errands. Smile  I will be glad when my monator goes out, I think? I would also like a bigger one so the whole page would fit.

Hi Mary, hope your day is going well. Good your son is working ahead to pay for collage.

I cleaned table under the trees of a year or two of fir needles and gave it a scrub. Had my lunch out there.

Waving to rest of Kitchen Gals.

Hugs, Deery

False

hi Mary.  just new here.  how do you make meatloaf in the crockpot.?  mine always comes ou nasty and is like soup.  i have an oval crock pot. do you make recipes differently than with a round pot?  thanks  gladys

False
    glady

Gladys: I make my meatloaf recipe with a recipe that started for a conventional oven recipe- any recipe you have that turns out good in the conventional oven should do. I have used a round crock pot and I use an oval one now- turns out exactly the same. I make mine round and sit it on a little round rack in the crock pot, so the loaf doesn't  "sit" in grease (that's a matter of preference). I mix it up with egg (remember the egg because that is what "holds" it together) and cracker/bread crumbs with seasoning. I top it with a sauce then, cook on HI for 1 hour, then low for 3 hours (in a big oval crock pot- smaller pots take more time because there is less air around it).

I'm making muffins in the crock pot today. I bought little glass round baking cups, and put liners in them, then put in the crock pot on Hi for 2 hours. The other crock pot will have lasagna in it (any recipe will do). Crock pot cooking is so much easier than bending over an oven for me. It saves energy and makes less heat, so that's saving money!

Mary

False

Morning ladies, thought I would stop in and let you all know Dee is in need of prayers, in the hospital for a while, so please send some words of love up for our gal. Nice Deery that you were able to get out and enjoy your deck again Deery, it was late for you this year with the temps I think and before we know it Fall will be here again, I am hoping, hehe. Honestly this year is flying by, wonder where the time goes, I get to working outside and before I know it, I am way behind in my day. Mowed the back part of the place the other day and boy it was like a dust bowl with dry grass blowing all over me too, what a mess I was. Kerry sprayed my arms and legs down a bit and my clothes did not make it into the house. LOL. My fridge out in the shop with the dust, so met Kerry at Lowes and bought a new one, stainless Electrolux for the house and moving our white fridge side by sid out to the shop. We bought a smaller 17 cubic ft upright freezer for the carport shed so I worked on getting the shed straightened up so Kerry moved that one in last night, and I plugged it up this morning. Tonight the old fridge comes out of the shop office area and the side by side will get moved out. I tell you ladies, there is not enough hours in the day lately. Kerry is run ragged meeting himself coming and going, in fact the other day the government vehicle, the power steering was squelling and he went to check it, did not think at all about the cap for it and radiator were right next to each other! Yep you can imagine, he burned 4 fingers on his right hand, thank God none hit his face! His visor on his cap showed the dried liquid and on the front of his shirt, it was clearly because he was not thinking and he admitted it, but he was lucky. Chris was in Calif. as of yesterday but heading to New Zealand I believe in the evening, a 12 hour flight and then the wait for decent weather to be able to get into Antarctica. Nancy I had to laugh at you all eating the peaches up before you can make anything with them, I don't blame you, I ate a couple peaches before I got those muffins made too, hehe. Nancy have you heard anything from Lin lately? How she is doing? And Liz I think she had been scarce too? Hope everyone is going ok and just busy or kicking back and relaxing and to lazy to get to the puter *grin* I made pork fahitas last night with thin sliced butterfly pork cutlets, had some homemade great seasoned pinto beans I had cooked and left over, had frozen them, so had that on the side and flour tortillas, yummy and quick supper, Kerry took the leftovers, hehe, figures. Gladys nice to have you join us, please come back again, we have grown to slim pickings over the years so always nice to see a new face. I am Connie from Louisiana, 57 years old, married to Kerry for 38 years, originally from Missouri, but the military life has moved us several times over. I have got to meet some of these nice ladies in person, Deery, Liz, Nancy and a few others. Have a great day ladies, enjoy, till next time, hugs, Connie

False

Connie: where in MO were you from?  I'm in Columbia now, but originally from St. Louis. I'm always wondering when I here places near here. I'm looking into family history, and I see when my ancestors moved to MO from other states, and I just think about how much work went into a "move" then- there weren't moving vehicles for stuff, no nice places to "stop" on the way, etc.

It is so nice here with the windows open today. Most of the state got hard rain last evening, but we didn't get a "drop" here. I know farmers were really disappointed here. It may only be in the lower 80's today.

I did take down my hummingbird feeder because bees just kept buzzing around and scaring the birds away, then they get inside and "drown themselves" because of wanting the sweet water mix. Even those little plastic things that keep bees out, wouldn't work because the bees would still be attracted to the feeder and get as close as possible, keeping birds out. I did like to see Orioles though.

Mary

False

Mary I know I answered before, but I was born in Independence, Mo, then moved to Niangua Mo when I was 15 and graduated from NHS in 73, married and moved away to Germany and continued to move around after that. We still have wooded property in Sleeper, Mo, would be East of Lebanon, had planned on retiring there but I think we will probably sell it eventually, maybe. Used to there were move highway rest areas to stop as we moved but many of those have been phased out and I am funny about going into just any ol' bathroom, Kerry always checks out the mens first and tells me how those look, lol. Moving freezer stuff to other freezer today, get the alert of hi temp, then have to let it set for a while to cool off again, hosing down drive way, wearing myself out on trying to get leaf blower started, no go there other than tired. Will wait till Kerry gets home and let him give it a whirl. I think it is short nap time for this gal.

False

Hi Connie and Mary and any others that stop by the Kitchen. Prayers for Dee. Connie, thanks for letting up know about Dee. So sorry to hear she is in hospital again. Well, this is last day of the two day 100 degree heat wave here. Tomorrow is supposed to be 10 or more degrees cooler. House is 84 degrees right now. Up from 80 during the night. Had lunch out under the trees with ginger peach iced tea.

Giving a wave and wishing all a nice weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

We also are having the 90 degree heat here in the Seattle area. Yesterday and today but is supposed to cool off some tomorrow. Hope so as two days is more than enough of this. I do  not like it that hot...wears me out just doing nothing!

Have been pretty busy these last few months, one commitment after another it seems but hey, it's summer and it's supposed to be that way. In the winter we'll be bored spitless most likely.

Have a birthday party tomorrow so made the cake this afternoon and will frost it in the morning then leave around 1:15. Have to take some photos of one of their cars which they want to sell and post on Craig's list for them. Posted a nice p.u. for them when their son died and it sold very fast. Hope they have the same luck with their car.

We are going to the beach a week from tomorrow so thinking by then the worm will turn and it will be raining. Murphy's law. 

Was supposed to get a perm Tues. but my lady got the flu from her mother who lives with them. Then her DH and son got it, too. Haven't heard of anyone else getting the flu this time of the year. Now scheduled for Mon.

Duane's power scooter's "brains" went out which was pretty irritating as he replaced it maybe a year and a half ago and has hardly used the scooter at all. We used to take it with us camping and he would ride it around the park and I would ride my bike but we only went camping once last year and then sold the p.u. and camper so he should have gotten a lot more use from it than he did. Our friend is an electrician and found an internet site that sells universal parts and we bought it for $32 from them. The manufactuor rips people off. Did have to add more $$ to it as he wants to set it up differently so if it does go again it won't be so expensive in the long run to fix. Saving maybe $100 and it will be done right. Mike is a perfectionist  so we know it will be right.

Take care in the heat Connie. Did Kerry get the bathroom...or was it the laundry room....all finished?

Nancy...I need a new monitor, too. Where did you get yours? Mine keeps fluttering, not all the time, just when it wants to. Sometimes it will go for weeks and then starts up again. I have to either pound the snot out of the desk or hang on to the left side where the vent holes are to make it quit...but only for a minute or two. Annoying.

Wheel is on...gotta go. Have a good weekend everyone. Ann...is Jim here in Washington? We have an awful fire around CleElum and Ellensburg. Burned 60 structures the first 24 hrs. mostly houses and ten more since then.

False