Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- September 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- September 2012

Last post Oct 01, 2012 9:48 PM by dangit . 56 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 4 (57 items) 1234
  • Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- September 2012

Deery: I've made the bead angels with safety pins too, but these kits just use wire. I'll have to see how it works out. I found the kits in my mother-in-laws old craft room, unopened, so I'll use them! No one else will!

It may reach 81 degrees today, but the high tomorrow is 69. I guess another cooler front is moving through. I know this goes on in the fall every year.

I'm putting a beaded pattern onto a t-shirt. I bought it, and it is iron-on, and bought a nice shirt too. I've washed the shirt, and need to "start up my iron".  I love those shirts with the little rhinestone-like beads on them. The kit was $2 and the shirt was $9- I know that I wouldn't be able to get a shirt with that print on it, for that price anywhere.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Hi Gals, I made the 3-2-1 piece of cake today. I put a dark piece of Chocolate Kiss in it to see how it would turn out. The Kiss was melted in middle bottom so I turned over and spread chocolate around for frosting. Makes it more yummy then plain. 

Mary, wishing you and your family a nice weekend.

AND also rest of Kitchen Gals.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I made a box cake mix with coconut and rum extracts added to it. I baked it in the crock pot- turned out wonderful. I didn't realize that they made sugar-free cake mixes in a box. I'll have to get some, if they are on sale sometime.

Mary

False

Good Monday morning, hope everyone is doing well. Danggg Ann, breaking toes!? Ouch! Hope they are better, did you get to the doctor? And surely to goodness that has done you in for standing on your feet making jellys and stuff for a while?Glad Jim was able to spend a bit of time home. Deery your 3-2-1 cake sounded good with the kiss in it, had to grin at the melting on the bottom and spreading for icing, great idea. Same ol thing going on around the place, FB has slacked off a bit for my farming, not much but some. Kerry is taking use or lose time every so often now, he took off last Thurs and Fri, will do the same for the next few weeks I think and maybe down to 1 or 2 day working weeks. Last Thurs we went to Steamboat Bills in Lake Charles and had small platters of seafood, hehe, not so small we found out, brought leftovers home. I had been sick for a couple days, just the usual stuff, and things to be done around the house. Need to get up and fix the kitties their baby food mixture and get them fed, they are growing slowly, are quite the screamers when it comes to feeding time. Long haired gray Arty has its bluff in on Wild Thang, tiny thing will go running with arched back and scares the heck out of Wild Thang, she runs to the middle of the front yard, and I have to run and grab the kitten. We had a couple cooler mornings here, back to the warm stuff again. Need to get those babies fed and get to moving, nothing waits on us here. Have a great week, hugs, Connie

False

Temp. got down to 40 last night, but will get to 80 today, and more hot tomorrow, only 63 overnight. With the clouds, it will keep it from getting cold at night. We may get rain tomorrow. I guess I won't bring in plants until next month, or if a frost comes earlier.

I tried egg-substitute the other day, at a restaurant, and it was in an omelet. I really couldn't tell that it was their egg substitute- I just saved on cholesterol! I guess I'll buy some at the store next week. I love eggs.

Mary

False

Hi Gals, Monday is here again. I washed my new flannel sheets. I will have DD put flannel sheets on my bed on Sunday. Other sheets are cold when I climb into bed.    Have to renew my disability placard this year. Had to write a request letter to medical insurance to their 'release of medical information' department for my dr signature. It is clear on the other side of Portland so easier to mail then have DD drive that far. It would be much easier to take into clinic for DR to sign when I get next lab, but of course easier isn't allowed. Dang!   Grandson came home for weekend and he and DD came over on Saturday to visit. Smile  He already had homework before classes even started.

Connie, good to hear from you. Always enjoy hearing about furbabies. Glad Kerry can take some time off now and then.

Mary glad you don't have to take your plants in so soon.

Staying in mid to low 70 temps here.

Wishing All a Nice Week.

Hugs Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I never have brought plants in before a threat of frost before. It was sprinkling this morning, so I brought in my amaryllis because it doesn't need much water now- cutting down on water so it can go dormant for the the winter. I took it out of the pot, the soil was all wrapped up in the roots, so it came out very nicely, and there were ants crawling all over the soil. I tapped the pot several times and got them off, then let the amaryllis sit outside on the deck for a few hours. They are almost gone now. That's what makes me concerned about just taking the outside plants inside- I really don't want bugs all over.

A warm front came up last night/ morning and it will be in the lower 80's today- because of that, there is a possibility of rain scattered. I'll leave plants outside until there is a threat of frost. I hear thunder now, so maybe I should bring in that amaryllis. Bye.

Mary

False

Deery I bet you were glad to see the GC come over fora visit over the weekend, always nice to have most visitors isn't it. *smile* I *visit* with my family by phone or via FB, sometimes by emails, everyone is so busy. Ahhh those furbabies this morning, Spat has a new name of Demon for the day. I left them out to eat while I cleaned the cage and they liked it to much and running like crazy over the deck and around my pots of plants and such. Could not catch them so I got me a string of yarn and managed to catch two, but the last one Spat, was screaming, baring claws,teeth and hissing and screaming, and turning every which way with my trying to keep from being torn to shreds! What a monster it was, managed to get it back into the cage, will sure make me think twice about letting them out again, at least for a while. They may get to stay out of they get loose like today to run, not worth being hurt with. My oven thermostat went out so I got the part yesterday and got it partly out before Kerry got home and he finished it up, so I baked fish patties last night for fish sandwiches and fixed steak fries to go with, tasted yummy. Deery I agree, those nice cotton sheets do get mighty chilly when the weather starts cooling off, have not changed ours yet, but will when it cools down to much. Well I have some laundry to change over and some to come out of the dryer, better get busy. Take care, hugs, Connie

False

Connie, the kittens sound just like the neighbors kittens that hang out on daughters deck. They are getting 2 tamed and learning how to play but the third one is still wild. It scratched son in law when he tried to crab it. Now the mother cat might be expecting her third litter this year. Daughter wants to take them to cat shelter but they are getting too attached. Son in law doesn't want to give any animals away after he get attached. And DD is the one ending up taking care of them.

I just made an apple cobbler from two apples DD brought over from their tree. One was starting to rot from inside but I got enough apple for my 2 cup casserole baking dish. I think it is a recipe that Ruth posted one time that I adapted for smaller size. You are supposed to use canned apple pie mix but I just cook the apples first and recipe works fine. Make it in my toaster oven. Fill like I got something accomplished today.

Hugs, Deery

False

Oh Deery, those furbabies, aren't they so  loveable and cute. Kerry used to not be a cat lover, notice the word used, and I have been raising these kittens, feeding them replacement nutrious milk that I mix up and IAMs kitten food and they are growing but still small. I told Kerry I guess I could leave them out of the cage? and he said nooo, they are to little and something would get them. Ok, so where is the guy who used to not like cats, LOL. No, we have owls in the woods and I said I was afraid a owl would get them but danggg yesterday that Spat, who was the demon, was about to change my mind. Kerry about rolled on the floor laughing at me telling about my kitten-demon, experience. He went out and fed the babies their food last night and went back and covered their cage for me, bless his heart. hehe. I can only sit and grin at your DD predicament taking care of babies too. When these kitties get big enough they will be taken to the Humane Society and fixed and we will be bringing them back home, and the Humane Society is going to give them their shots at no costs to us. The lady who runs the place called one of her workers and had her pull me up 6 syringes of worming medicine to give the babies, for two days, two for each of them, no cost. But then again I have to say I do go over there from time to time to see what animals they have when they had garage sales there and make out a couple checks for donations to them. I have a message from Nancy, she called last night and we had a wonderful long chat, hehe. She was fixing supper, but she can read the PCH but cannot post, darned site will just not let her! Drats anyway!! Double drats, sure miss hearing from her. She said to tell everyone hi and that she misses ya all. {Hugs} Ahhh her and her furbabies too, I heard one crying in the kitchen with her wanting attention, hehe, she said one and I am thinking it is Peek A Boo, that walks on her hind legs and will follow Nancy around the kitchen like that on the hind legs, lol, how sweet.  Also Miz Dee called yesterday and she is doing pretty good, taking things easy, dealing with some healing issues, but she is getting along. It was funny how both these gals had been on my mind and they called, must be ESP working you think? Deery your apple cobbler sure sounds good, what kind of crust did you use for your recipe, or was  it a crumble sort of topping? Love apples in cobbler. This is Wed so going to see what fresh fruits and veggies are on sale. Made some cole slaw the other day and Kerry has lapped it right up, nothing like homemade slaw. I grated the cabbage in my food processor, as well as carrot and a bit of onion, then we always squeeze the veggies to blend the flavors together and mix with salad dressing usually but only had a large container of mayo to use this time and put in a packet of sweetener. Yum, yum. When Kerry was a Sr in school he worked at a restraurant and they ran out of something and had him make coleslaw and he did, and after that they always had him make it. Well better get busy and feed the babies, hope everyone has a great day. Hugs, Connie

False

Glad everyone is doing well! It's in the 70's today and very humid. It is cloudy, so the temp. will stay in the 70's. There's a chance of rain coming in the next state now, but we'll see if it  gets here.

My husband is working a few hours away, and will be home on Friday night. My sons are at school and work, so I'm by myself most of the day. My mom will come tomorrow (few hours away) and we'll go shopping. It will be nice to get out and see people, live, instead of on a t.v.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Hi Connie, sure glad to hear Nancy is doing okay. Was a wondering? Lost so many Gals posting because they cannot get on website. Glad Dee is doing some better also. Glad you can get some of the kittens medical taken care of. The cobbler is more like apple cake. Bisquick, sugar and melted butter. Put in baking dish and add pie filling and mix together. Maybe Ruth would still have recipe. I like it because I don't have to roll out a crust and I don't have to make a crumb topping that I have a hard time putting on top evenly.

Mary, know what you mean about not getting out. I have Dental cleaning tomorrow and it will be first time out in a car this month. I sing 2 or 3 hymns a day to know my voice still works. lol  And I will get to see some of the fall colors and seasonal changes.

Wishing All a Nice rest of week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Deery: I don't get out because I mean I only get out of our mobile home to walk around the porch. My knees have given out on me 2 times going down steps now. I usually need someone with me when I walk around. I do walk slow, and going up any kind of incline really is stressful on my leg muscles. If my husband doesn't come home and take me out to lunch, (or when I go to church on Wednesday nights), I won't get out at all. I can't take the city bus because that takes walking to a bus stop and stepping up in the bus- steps are one-at-a-time for me. I go to the grocery store with my family, and if I hold on to the cart, I'm fine. This chat sure is a nice "get-away" for me. I look forward to chatting every day.

The temperatures have "leveled" for the days this week- just in the 70's and 50's at night. I brought my amaryllis in to not water it and send it into dormancy so it will bloom this winter.

It's best not to think about our bad times because we can easily be depressed- if we know it or not.

Mary

False

I got my teeth cleaned. DD was sick so we came straight home. Think she was going to go to bed. When the page doesn't seem to load I hit refresh and it seems to wake computer up. The battery is dead in the furnace thermostate. I didn't even know it had batteries. Will probably have to wait until DD comes over on Sunday for her to put new batteries in it. The directions don't even have a picture of where the batteries are located. I cannot stand up that long to replace them.

Mary, I started to go down hill in my 40s. Was diagnosed with Post Polio in 1989. Got braces and started to use a cane, then went to walker, then scooter  2 or 3 years after that. I have to conserve to preserve my strength. Took some years to realize that. That is why I went down hill so fast in the beginning. With conserveing my energy I am holding on and not going down hill so fast. Take care.

I am making a Positive Journal to keep my spirits lifted. I love going thru it. Hymns and poems and uplifting pictures and scripture. And I write about good days. Mary, in the Taste of Home Groups I have favorite poems in Mary's Tea Room. It is called Poems for Marys Tea Room. In 2004 in Kitchen Chat I had a room called Chat On Wheels.  I kept it up for 5 years, then because of health issues with other ladies I finally left if to cyber space. And I have been is this group since it began in 2004, April.

Waving to all the Kitchen Gals.

Hugs, Deery

False

Thanks Deery, I'll go to that room.

my mom came here yesterday morning, and she stayed overnight instead of driving back home, 2 hours, in the dark. We shopped yesterday, and my muscles in my legs are tired today! I've been doing better because I do the physical therapist recommended exercises every day. If I bend over and pick something up, or squat down, my back muscles don't get me back up again- impossible for me now- that can be so embarrassing in stores and things when I can't even get up from a "down" position without having my arms help me- then I can do it with my arms' help. Some people just don't seem to "understand",  and think so "down" about situations. Just "smile" and go on.

Temperatures are very nice here, in the 70's.

Mary

False