R&R: Chili Mac - Update | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R&R: Chili Mac - Update

Last post Sep 21, 2012 6:46 PM by az_jill . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • R&R: Chili Mac - Update

I saw this recipe the other day and couldn't get it out of my head. Since I had a pound of ground beef, I thought I would try it. Instant success. However, I made a bunch of changes to the original recipe. First off, it is a little spicy. If you don't like spicy, decrease the jalapenos, cayenne, and hot sauce. DH loved it but he likes spicy. It was easy to prepare. The longest was chopping the veggies. We were so hungry, I forgot the cheese, so the picture is cheeseless. So here is my recipe as adapted, a picture, and a link to the original TOH recipe.

Chili Mac

1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped green pepper
    2 Tbsp. chopped, seeded jalapeno (or to taste)
    2 tsp. olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can (14.5 oz.) diced no salt added tomatoes, undrained
    2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
    1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    ¼ tsp. pepper
    ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the ground beef, onion, green pepper, and jalapenos in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Drain.

Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper sauce, and seasonings.

Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

Serves 6.

Adapted from this Taste of Home recipe:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chili-Mac-3

Enjoy!

Joan

Update: I think I like this even better the next day. I had it for lunch today and it was delicious. And, somehow, not as spicy. This is a keeper.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

• Re: R&R: Chili Mac

Thanks so much for the recipe, review & pic Joan!   :)

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Joan, that looks delicious-definitely something we'd like.  One pot meals-gotta love em!

Thanks so much for the recipe, your review and that yummy photo,

Carol

False

Thanks Joan for the recipe and review and photo. Saved to try soonWink

Linda

False

We love one pot meals, too. This was really tasty.

False

Look great Joan!  We love things like this.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Update: I think I like this even better the next day. I had it for lunch today and it was delicious. And, somehow, not as spicy. This is a keeper.

False

• Re: R&R: Chili Mac - Update

That picture is great Joan! Makes me want to run out and buy the ingredients... and soon. I really like that it's made with the whole wheat noodles too. I don't like them quite as well but they are so much better for you.

Thank-you, such a great rec, rev, & picture! Nice to know it's not as spicy the next day too. Sometimes it seems like that the opposite of what happens.

False