Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012

Last post Nov 30, 2012 10:11 PM by Deery . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012

That Taco Shepherd's Pie, with venison instead of beef, turned out great last night! It must be in this recipe database because it came from the latest magazine. I used potato flakes to make the mashed potatoes, instead of peeling potatoes, to "speed" things up. It already took 45 min. to prepare, then 35 min. to bake. I heard my son come home from work last night and say to my husband, "what smells so yummy?" It had been almost 4 hours since I baked it, but he liked the smell (it was 11:00, and he had already eaten- maybe we'll have it for lunch today).

The flake potatoes are Idahoan brand, and they seem very good to us. I love how they come out so creamy, and you don't have to "fuss" with peeling the potatoes. Many people complain that the flakes don't taste "right", but this brand tastes great. If you use a bowl in the microwave, it takes 5 min. to make a batch of mashed potatoes. You can make a single serving size, or many- whatever you want- that makes it so nice and convenient. If you like flavored, just add the seasonings to the water when you heat it, and the flavors are there.

Same weather here all week (50's during the day and 30's at night).

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

DD went and picked up my new prescription. Now take 6 mg daily for next week. DD brought over left over shepherds pie for my dinner. Long, long time since I have had shepherds pie. Now that I have some to eat my mouth won't be watering for yours, Mary. Smile

A pile of catalogs and junk mail today. Wishing all a nice weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Music Happy Birthday Mary

Happy Birthday to You Cake

Happy Birthday God Bless You

Happy Birthday to You.  Music

A very Happy Birthday, may God's special Blessing touch your heart in every way,

not only on your Birthday but every single day.

Hugs Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Thank you, Deery! Don't forget- you're blessed too!!Smile

Mary

False

My family went to see the new James Bond film, Skyfall, yesterday. My son has been posting films on You Tube, and he has made 2 James Bond fan films (the last one was 2 hrs. long) with people who said they would be in the film. He is the director and also, James Bond. The film has the most viewed of any James Bond fan film on You Tube now, around 500,000. He makes many old film "trailers" and posts them. He wants to go into film making/directing as a career. He is in business school at college now, to get the main classes taken, then he will take more film stuff for electives later.

My boys are working this week because there is a college break for Thanksgiving. My husband is working out-of-town these days, but he is off on Thur. and Friday.

I bought a jar of yeast yesterday, and didn't notice it was for bread machines, but the label says how to use it for traditional recipes too- the first rise is just 10 min, and the dough won't rise then- I'll see if it will work out o.k. (I hate to make mistakes like that, but if it turns out o.k., there's no problem!)

Cloudy and rainy this morning, but only supposed to be cloudy this afternoon.

Mary

False

Hi Mary, sounds like your son is talented making a 2 hour film. Hope your bread turns out fine.

Had a stormy Sunday. Even covered decks are wet from wind blowing rain. And rain came down so heavy it got into bathroom exhaust fan and was dripping thru into Toilet bowl. Had to use a towel on my shoulders when I used the bathroom. I just called the roofer I had 2 years ago to see if he can fix it. He will call back.

Wishing all a nice Thanksgiving week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Deery: the roofer should be able to fix it. Good thing it is right over the toilet so you don't have to put out a bucket or bowl.

My husband took me a department store last night and let me pick out whatever I wanted for my birthday present. I got a nice purse, with many pockets. I have a good purse, but it is just so small. I almost feel "guilty" not using a perfectly good purse, but my "needs" are different. My boys gave me a gift card to a store. I like the gift cards because then you can get whatever you want, and the person who gives the card won't wonder if they got the "right" gift or not.

It's sunny here today. It may only get in the low 60's though. Still nice.

Have a nice day!

Mary

False

Mostly rain with a couple of sun breaks today. Think tomorrow may be dry. DD took me for labs this morning. Platelet count is down. DD was going to be busy today so she stopped at Papa Murphys to get pizza you bake yourself for their dinner. So I got a pizza also. I got the Thin Curst Chicken  Bacon Artichoke deLITE. I baked it when I got home so I could have some with my salad for lunch. Yummy!

Wishing All a Very Nice Thanksgiving.

Hugs, Deery

False

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just had to get on here for a bit, even though things are "going on" today. I made that Pumpkin Roll that they advertised the recipe here on the site. I decided to make it, instead of a pie. It  doesn't take much work, but putting it all together, is what takes time.

Mary

False

That pumpkin roll was delicious! I still have the original recipe in a Quick Cooking magazine from 2005, and looked at it. There are slight changes (like egg whites made stiff and put in the cake, instead of adding the eggs, un-separated; 1/2 tsp. salt instead of 1/8 tsp. salt; few more). Still turned out great.

A cold front came through, so last night it was around 21 degrees. Tonight may only be around 33 degrees though. Sunny, but cold.

Mary

False

Mary, pumpkin roll sounds delicious.

I had a nice Thanksgiving dinner with DD/family. Got to see the 4 kittens. Plus their 4 indoor cats.

Sunshine today and tomorrow. May get up in the 40 temps.

Wishing all a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hi all. Hope you had an ourstanding Thanksgiving. We had one of the turkeys I bought last Thanksgiving at WalMart for $5. They evidently had over ordered because the day before Thanksgiving they were selling them cheap. Still had one left in the freezer so didn't need to buy one. It was a Honeysuckle White. Great tasting turkey and moist. I used a turkey bag and cooked it in the turkey roaster. We had another couple and my daughter so was pretty laid back. Did lots of prep a day or two before and deligated food to the other two ladies. Still, it's work. I told Duane on Fri....next year we're going out. He agreed. Just in case on the day before Thanksgiving I drove over to WalMart...was out anyways....to see if they had them this year. They did but for $1.00 a lb. All were 13.99 and were 14 lbs. So didn't luck out this time. No real good deals anywhere this year unless you bought $50 worth of groceries which I didn't need to do.

We've had lots of rain the last week or so but some sun, too. The other day I saw our neighbor upstairs out in the rain with a rag wiping off the car here and there. What a nut.

We think he's a fanatic about everything but as long as he's happy.

People in our complex already have Christmas lights up. Kinda early for me. I think I am just too lazy to go out in the hall storage closet and find the decorations. Need a nice day for the outside lights or I'm not putting any up.

False

Since both my boys are living at home, and in their 20's, we have them put up the Christmas tree. It's stored in one of their closets, so they organized DVD/blue ray movies on a rack and made room for the tree. They decorate it and do the work- if they are living here, they should share some burdens at that age! When they were little boys, I remember doing it all, but they are adults now, so times have changed.

Another cold front came through last night and there is some snow/rain mix at the top of the state, but not here. It is sunny, but is predicted to be only 44 degrees today.

College classes have resumed from the Thanksgiving break, so I'm by myself during most of the days again. Last week, they worked most days, but there was Thanksgiving, and my husband was home on Friday. The days really seemed "mixed up" last week (when you do things the same every week, a change really can seem odd!)

Mary

False

Deery, hi, wanted to pop in and say Happy Birthday if I did not see you on FB today. Hope you have a wonderful birthday and many more to come lady. Stay warm. Any special plans? Hugs, Connie

False

Deery: Happy Birthday to you- I didn't know it was today. Have a nice day!

It really got cold last night/this morning. Our temperature said 14 degrees at 6:30. This is the coldest for this winter here.

Only have a few more Christmas gifts to make, then I can work on projects for myself!

Mary

False