Beef jerky and round steak?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Beef jerky and round steak??

Last post Aug 09, 2004 10:01 PM by TexasroseII . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Beef jerky and round steak??
    Does anyone have any good recipes for beef jerky? What is a good cut of meat to use for it? Can cuts other than flank steak or beef brisket be used?

Also, this week, round steak is on sale. Does anyone have any good tasty ideas for round steak.

Thanks,

Pam
    False
  • RE: Beef jerky and round steak??
    Does not anyone have any ideas for this??

Thanks,

Pam
    False
    Hi, when I make jerky I use ground beef and use the gun that came from Wal-Mart. My little people really like it as they can eat it much better. IF you do a web-search for jerky, you will get lots of info/recipes about using ground and sliced beef.
    Jan
    False

Posted by: lovemyRav4 Posted on: 5/31/2004 2:42:06 PM
    #R3753817
    You can vary the spiciness of this by the amount of jalapenos used.

Beef Jerky

1 bottle Worcestershire sauce
    1 bottle liquid smoke
    1 Tablespoon black pepper
    2 Tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 Tablespoon MSG (Accent salt)
    4 jalapeno peppers, optional

Combine all in blender or food processor. Marinate meat overnight. Drain and dry in dehydrator according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 5-10 pounds.

(Recipe can be cut in half to do smaller amounts of meat
    False

Posted by: mapanda Replies: 2 Posted on: 6/22/2003 6:16:19 PM
    #T194552
    It has been quite a while since we had a dehydrater. My DD used to make this, when she still lived at home. I asked her what kind of meat she used. She said she had the butcher cut the meat in slices for her. I guess beef steak would be a good choice. A lot of people who hunt deer use deer meat.

Jerky

1-1/2 lbs meat
    2 TBSP. liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/3 tsp. garlic powder
    1/3 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. monosodium glutamate (MSG)
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce

Mix all ingredients together, except the meat.
    Don't overlap the meat. Let meat marinate in sauce for 12 hours or overnight, in the refrigerator. Dry in dehydrater untiul it cracks when bent but doesn't break.

It has been so long since we made it, I don't remember how long it took. This is a really good recipe.

Mapanda
    False

round steak would make great jerky :)
    Rosie
    False

This is a really good jerky recipe.
    Beef Jerky
    3 lbs. brisket(cut on the grain with a sharp knife)
    1 T salt
    1 t onion powder
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t pepper
    1/3 cup worchestershire sauce
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    Cut meat into strips 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. Mix salt, onion and garlic powder, pepper, worchestershire sauce and soy sauce then pour over meat and marinate overnight, in refridgerato. Dry meat in a very low oven temp. over night or till dry.
    (Before drying roll the meat with a rolling pin between paper towels to get out excess juice and place on large pieces of tin foil on your oven racks. After meat is done, store in tightly closed jar.)
    Judy-Utah
    False
    Thank you so much for the help with the beef jerky.

Does anyone have any recipes that they have tried with round steak.

Thanks again.

Pam
    False
    Hi Pam,
    I always use round steak for jerky. I don't have access to my recipe books right now for an actual recipe, but basically what I do is trim ALL the fat from the meat, slice it in long 1/4" wide strips, season it with lots of garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper and about three Tbs of brown sugar. Toss in a bowl to coat. Then I pour enough soy sauce over it to coat all the meat and place it in a zip-lock bag, squeeze all the air out and put it in the fridge overnight, turning occasionally to make sure all the meat soaks up the spices and soy sauce. Add more sauce if it appears to have absorbed it all.
    I bought a set of 3 stacking cooling racks to make jerky on(you make more in less time) and fill them with the meat. i place them directly on the grills in my smoker and smoke them at a low temperature until the meat turns dark and tough. you can also do this in the oven by placing the racks on a cookie sheet, but you don't get the rich smoky flavor. If you do it in the oven add a Tbs or two of liquid smoke to the marinade before putting the meat in the zip-lock.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I've used beef Rump roast for making jerky.... sliced very thin, about an 1/8-1/4 in. thick. You could use any of the above mentioned marinade recipes with this.
    Sharon
    False
    I make jerky using an inside round roast of about 4 pounds. I buy them on sale and ask the butcher to slice it about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Then I trim off any fat or gristle. I use the same mix of stuff but different measurements. so for me it would be 3 tablespooons of worchestershire, 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke, a few shakes of tabasco, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder,onion powder, pepper, salt and I think that is it. As I am in Toronto I am trying to remember just what goes in it because I don't live here. The one post mentions bottles of liquid smoke and worcestershire sauce. That would be excessive for me. If you want me to actually post my recipe when I am back home tomorrow I will. Marlene
    False
    Subject: Rec: Old Fashioned Swiss Steak
    Posted by: Amaranth Replies: 0 Posted on: 2/24/2004 8:03:34 PM
    #T309415
    This one is on my "Try" list for next week. If anyone has a review I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

Old Fashioned Swiss Steak
    Serves 6 to 8

1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
    2 tbsp all-purpose flour, additional
    2 tsp salt, divided
    3/4 tsp pepper, divided
    1/2 garlic salt
    2 lbs boneless round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 cups green pepper, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 cup onion, chopped
    2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup beef broth
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1/4 cup cold water

In a large plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and garlic salt. Add beef and toss to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven; brown meat.
    Add garlic, green pepper, celery and onion. Cook and stir for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, soy sauce and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325 F for 2 hours. Remove from oven. Place meat on serving dish and keep warm.

In a small bowl, combine water and remaining flour; stir into juices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour over steak.

False

Thanks to all who submitted recipes for beef jerky and round steak. I will definitely try some of these and let you know how they turned out.

You can always count on friends from the bulletin board.

Thanks again.

Pam
    False
    I seem to be a little late but here are some recipes I use.

BEEF JERKY

1 thin sliced beef
    1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning pepper
    2 ounces liquid smoke flavoring
    5 ounces Worcestershire sauce
    cayenne pepper

Mix spices together. Layer meat in glass pan, pouring some marinade over each layer. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Bake 24 hours in 150ºF. oven. Open oven door and leave another 24 hours or dry in dehydrator according to direction.

Store in air tight container in the refrigerator.

HAMBURGER JERKY

5 pounds hamburger -- lean
    12 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon marjoram
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    3 teaspoons MSG
    1 1/2 teaspoons Morton's® Tender Quick
    12 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
    12 teaspoons water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Add hamburger, mix well. Add water and liquid smoke, mixing well.
    Note: I add a little cayanne pepper to this to make it spicey.
    False
    I got back earlier. My plane was early. How about that. Anyhow I said if you wanted it I would send my recipe which I just used last week. With this recipe I had a 4 1/2 pound inside round roast sliced to between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick.

Beef Jerky

5 lb. beef, cut into strips
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. black pepper, cracked if possible
    couple of shakes of tabasco
    1 tbsp. liquid smoke

Place the strips of beef in marinade and let soak for about 24 hours. Remove from marinade allow to air dry for at least one hour. Place in the oven on foil at the lowest temperature and dry until beef is able to crack when bent or dry in a dehydrator.

Now I gave my youngest son half of the finished jerky in Toronto on Friday night and Saturday night he had already inhaled it. I guess that would be an endorsement? Marlene
    False