BBQ hash recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

BBQ hash recipe?

Last post Nov 08, 2013 9:01 PM by obxdiver . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • BBQ hash recipe?
    I have eaten at Duke's BBQ several times here in the lowcountry of South Carolina and they make the best hash I have ever tasted. I cannot seem to find the recipe for it and cannot get it from Duke's. If there is anyone that has the recipe and is willing to share, I would be very gratefull. Please email me with the recipe if you have it. Thank you so much.
    False
  • RE: BBQ hash recipe?
    bump
    False
    Georgia BBQ Hash #59321

2-3 lbs lean pork roast
    2-3 lbs lean beef roast or chuck
    1 lb white meat chicken (optional)
    1 large onion
    1 (28 ounces) can tomatoes
    1 can white corn
    1 can creamed corn
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    1 tablespoon ground red pepper
    1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon salt

10 servings
    1. Cut meat into large chunks.
    2. Place in a heavy pot and add water to barely cover.
    3. Simmer more than an hour.
    4. When the meat is very tender, drain and reserve any broth.
    5. Grind the meat with a coarse hand grinder or chop finely.
    6. (Using a food processor destroys the texture.) Grind one large onion.
    7. Place onion and the meat back into the pot and add one large can of tomatoes-juice and all.
    8. Add corn, vinegar and seasonings.
    9. Simmer a few minutes.
    10. Add the reserved broth to the meat until it reaches the consistency of stew.
    11. Serve it over white rice or bread with dill pickles on the side as a condiment.
    False
    Collect the following:
    1 lb. picked barbecued pork
    1 lb. cold, boiled potatoes
    2 oz bacon fat
    1 med. onion, finely chopped
    8 oz. cooked greens, cabbage, turnips,
    mustard or collard sprouts, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste

Melt half the fat in a #10 skillet and saute the onions until clear. Add finely chopped potatoes and greens, mix well and add more fat. Mash out evenly and fry until evenly brown. Spray a plate with oil and turn the cake out on the plate. Use the rest of the fat, then slide the cake back into the pan to brown the second side. Slice into 8 servings and serve with an egg, fried sunny side up on each.

Recipes Sponsored By:
    The Barbecue Store

False
    Barbecue Hash - SC style This ain't chunky hash. This is traditional lowland South Carolina style hash, served over cooked rice. It should have the consistency of thin pudding, be a reddish/brown color, with small hunks of potatoes. 2 lbs chicken breast meat, coarse chopped 2 lbs pork butt, coarse chopped 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4-6 fresh chopped and seeded 5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped 2 carrots, peeled and shredded 1 large onion, coarse chopped 1/4 cup rub 12 oz Barbecue sauce

In 12 quart stock pot, saute onions in oil until translucent, add rub and stir until well blended. Add chicken and pork, saute 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat. Add water to cover (appx 1/2 gallon), then add tomatoes. Bring to boil, add carrots. Cook until tomatoes start to break up, then add potatoes. Cook until potatoes have broken down, then add barbecue sauce. Serve hot over rice.

Barbecue Hash - South Carolina Style

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 2 lbs chicken breast meat, coarse chopped 2 lbs pork butt, coarse chopped 1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4-6 fresh chopped and seeded 5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped 2 carrots, peeled and shredded 1 large onion, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup rub 12 oz Barbecue sauce

In 12 quart stock pot, saut‚ onions in oil until translucent, add rub and stir until well blended. Add chicken and pork, saut‚ 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat. Add water to cover (apprx. 1/2 gallon), then add tomatoes. Bring to boil, add carrots. Cook until tomatoes start to break up, then add potatoes. Cook until potatoes have broken down, then add barbecue sauce. Serve hot over rice.

False
    Bump
    False
    I, too, am from SC, but I am in the upstate. Will give you a version of the hash our Fire Departments make. I am assuming that you don't want the BIG recipe, so this is the smaller version. My husband sometimes cooks this for us and we have several recipes. If you have questions or if you are interested in another recipe, let me know. You can e-mail me at Comeback1941@yahoo.com

25 pounds pork (no bones)
    25 pounds beef (no bones)
    10 lbs. baking potatoes
    10 lbs. onions
    1 pt. vinegar
    1 pt. mustard
    6 oz. Texas Pete
    6 oz. Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 1/4 lbs butter (not margarine)

Cover meat good with water. (We normally do this in a black iron pot.) Stir meat with a paddle to remove any fat or skin. When meat is done and begins to come apart, you then add the cut up onions and potatoes. Add your seasonings and butter. Keep stirring to keep meat from sticking. When it has cooked down to the consistency you like, it's done.
    False
  • Re: BBQ hash recipe?

I'm from Orangeburg County (where Duke's and all the truly great bbq establishments began). Here's what I find to be a truly great hash recipe.

3lbs pork, 1lb of ground beef or pot roast, equal part peeled potatoes, 1 onion, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, salt, pepper, worchester sauce, tabasco, a great mustard based bbq sauce.

Boil pork and beef until they fall apart. Save 1/2 of the renderings/broth. In a separate pot, boil your potatoes and a very very finely minced onion. Run meat and potato/onion mixture through a meat grinder together. Place ground mixture in the broth, add in some vinegar, salt, pepper, tabasco, garlic powder mustard, ketchup and mustard based bbq sauce to taste. Let simmer at a low temp for another hour or two. Serve over white rice.

False
  • Re: RE: BBQ hash recipe?

Redraspberrygirl,

This is a great hash! I prepared it for a small group and I had a good bit left over. Do you have any idea about how many people this would feed at a typical SC barbeque where you have a "complete meal" ie veggie, rice, bbq, bread, plus dessert?

Thanks,

DrJoe

False
  • Re: RE: BBQ hash recipe?

I'm from South Carolina, and believe me, there are no carrots in our hash.

False

melnickta

Any suggested amounts for the following?

mustard, ketchup, vinegar, salt, pepper, worchester sauce, tabasco

Thanks!

False

I'm from Orangeburg, SC and used to visit Earl Duke's BBQ often.  You're right, they have the BEST hash I've ever tasted too.  Now I live a long way from there and can't visit regularly so I have to make my own hash at home.  I think one thing that made their has so special was the smoky flavor of the pork they used.  I think my recipe is pretty good...and a lot of people like it. 

Simmer a medium sized pork shoulder or butt slowly until meat is fork tender in water with salt added.  Add 3-4 peeled chopped potatoes and 1 diced onion to the pot after the pork is fully cooked.  After the potatoes and onions are tender add the following:

1 sm. can tomato paste, 4 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1/2 - 3/4 c. corn syrup, about 1 cup +/- ketshup, 1/2 c. or so of mustard, 1 bottle smoky flavored BBQ sauce, chipotle or other smoky flavored tobasco sauce, a few dashes of Worchester sauce, about a teaspoon or two of ground black pepper; salt to taste.  Stir and mash the potatoes/onions and meat until it's finely shredded and stir to blend all ingredients.  Simmer over LOW heat for another hour or so.  Serve over hot white rice.  You may add more/less tobasco to taste.  A little liquid smoke adds a smoky flavor if you don't have the benefit of a nicely pre-smoke piece of pork. 

The measurements aren't exact as these are approximations of the amounts I used.  I never measure any of this stuff, but go by the size of the pork roast and what the mixture tastes like as I go along. 

Wish I could get back to Duke's BBQ for some of their hash...   Smile

False

I have eaten at all of the Dukes a lot over the years and live about a mile from the one in Walterboro. I have noticed that all of them now use a lot less meat in the mix, and it's mostly potato's and onions.  What gives the Dukes (as well as other lowcountry BBQ's) taste is actually ketchup and a lot of it (and that's a good thing). They use a double potato to onion mix (eg 2lbs potatoes and 1 lbs of onion)  They may still put chicken in it and scrap pulled pork at half or less than the potato mix.  If you look at their hash now, it's very consistent and not as stringy (due to having less meat in it)  It's all still good hash, just less to it then in the "old" days.  

False

hi! i'm very excited to try out this recipe!! how much water do you usually put in?? and do i drain after cooking the pork? (i'm very new to making hash) Big Smile

Thanks!

False
  • South Carolina hash recipe???

Hi i spent many summers in columbia and have begun looking into to meals i loved as a child there and would like to recreate.  I read your info on hash and have a question or two as well as acomment or two.  Just noting that these replies are long ago dated, but hoping someone, older, hopefully will see this and comment or direct me.  I am in agreement with the sauce receipe for the most part, little variatin her and there, since this was for me the 70s, but what i dont seem to find is the pork info.  My granddaddy and aunt used to make hash for us when we came down south, but no written recipe of course could be found. My mother wrote long ago that the thought, there were various hog or pig parts in the ground hash, that no on has made comment on.  Such as pig ears, liver, jowls and something to do with the head...Can someone let me know if we are on the right track, to creating this rich, heavy choclately brown hash which of course we ate over perfectly steamed now jasmine, rice????

The other item im trying to find is liver pudding...this one would be great to find and ship. Momma remembers that being a store item, but not all were good in the 70s.

Thanks in advance.

VK

False