BBQ hash recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

BBQ hash recipe?

Last post Nov 08, 2013 9:01 PM by obxdiver . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • Re: South Carolina hash recipe???

When I first saw the slaughterhouse, I wasn't sure I wanted to go in but my Dad said it's ok. My Dad has been going there for years... the liver pudding is so good! Make sure you call before you go to make sure Frank has made some that day.

Marvin's Meats
    5314 Hwy. 162.  Hollywood. SC 29449

(843) 889-2225

False

i am from Columbia. Our hash, doesn't have potatoes, onionc, or carrots in it. I think you are on the right track about what is in it. If you find the recipe, please let me know. i would love some over rice, it's been too many years since i have had some. As for the liver pudding, If you can get Scrapple at your grocery store, it has a very similar taste, but not the texture. It's funny what we miss from our childhood. Good Luck in your quest.

Jmp

False
  • Re: BBQ hash recipe?

I grew up 15 miles outside of Columbia close to the original Big T's BBQ.  My dad raised hogs so we would BBQ the hogs and make hash with some of the parts not on the grill.  So i've made hash more times than i care to count.  The main ingredient in the hash is the hog head.  We'd boil the head along with the kidney, liver and other organs minus the intestine and stomach.  We'd add either a beef roast or pork roast just to try to offset some of the fat in the pot.  We'd then remove all the bones from the meat in the pot and run it through a grinding mill and return the grinded mixture to a pot with some of the original stock.   add salt, pepper and BBQ sauce to taste.   If you really want some good hash seek out a man in Gadsden SC name Jerry Myers

False

I grew up in Sumter SC and there is a packing plant that sells liver pudding. It tastes great. The web site is:

harvinmeats.com. I have not been able to find a good recipe for the bbq hash. I am trying to find a recipe similar to the BBQ hash sold by Ward's in Sumter.

False

This sounds like the SC hash that I'm used to. I've never had a hash with vegetables in it that I know of. It's kind of the "mystery meat" dish over rice....it's delicious!

False

I grew up in a little town in-between Columbia and Sumter called Eastover SC. Sikes BBQ Pit was right on the Highway. The Hash I remember never had potatoes or carrots.. it was Liver pudding based with Texas Pete and Worcester sauce, dry mustard, Tabasco,and ketchup served over rice. I now live in South Dakota and have to make my own liver pudding to make my hash (they have never heard of liver pudding). The liver pudding is pretty easy starts with cooking down and grinding pig liver and pork chop,salt, pepper, & sage.  I miss the foods from the South that are unavailable up here.

False

Yall need to try Lairds in North, SC (right outside of Orangeburg and Neeses)!!! It beats Big T's, Dukes and Piggy's every time!!! 

If anyone could ever get their recipe, I would love to have it!!!

False

Years ago, I ate at Laird's as well as Dukes and both are great!

Would love to find something close here on the Eastern shore of Maryland!  Better yet would love the recipe as well!!

False
    I'm also from Orangeburg, moved away, and the thing I miss most is the barbecue. You CAN get back by re-creating the hash we still crave! Remember to keep it simple. Ingredients are: chopped onion, ground potatoes, ground barbecue pork, Hunt's ketchup, water and salt to taste. Boil. That's it!
    False
    jan2850

Carolina hash is only found in South Carolina.  Even in such a small state it has very distinct varieties.  The Pee Dee area has the liver stuff.  I don't like it.  Many places in the .Miidlands use a mustard sauce like they use on their pulled pork.  It is good but not my favorite.  I grew up eating the Greenwood hash. It was a mix of beef and pork.  Al hash has some veggies in it but they are cooked down so much you do not see them.  

This is a great documentary on hash culture.  Makes me want to head up to SC to get some!  http://www.folkstreams.net/film,215

False

I was looking for Hash recipes, and this came up in the results. Yancey, there was a place in Greenwood, The Hash House, I believed it was called. My Mom liked that. Sure would love to find a recipe for that one!

False

I love Ward's to and love the hash if you find out the recipe i would love to have it to

False

Many, Many years ago there was a BBQ place in St. Matthews, SC called Zeigler's BBQ.  He had the most delicious has I have ever eaten.  We would go to Zeigler's on Friday nights (we lived in Columbia, SC) for his wonderful BBQ and hash.  Eventually he opened up a second restaurant in Cayce, SC but it proved to be too much for Mr. Zeigler as he worked at the mill also at that time.  Eventually Zeigler's closed and there has never been any hash like his that I can find throughout all of these years.  Does anyone out there remember Zeigler's BBQ in St. Matthews and if so please, please post a recipe for his wonderful hash if you have it.  Thank you and have a blessed day.

False

Can you give approximate amounts of vinegar, salt, pepper, tabasco, garlic powder mustard, ketchup and mustard based bbq sauce?  Thanks!

False

I am a veteran from the Army and have enjoyed the SC hash but now I live in FLorida and have tried to find a place that can ship me an order of BBQ hash, if we can come to an agreement would you be willing and able to do this for a disabled veteran?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Jana Martinez

False