Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012

Last post Dec 29, 2012 3:20 PM by Deery . 33 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 3 (34 items) 123
  • Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012

Merry Christmas to everyone! May the new year be healthy and prosperous for you all.

We had a nice time in Canada but I didn't get my snow while sitting in the hot pools but did get it just a few hours before we had to leave. Naturally.....had to drive in it. The roads from the resort to the intercontinental highway was not good.... snow and slush. Even the trucks were going slow which was fine with me. They were throwing brown slush and snow up onto my windshield when one did pass us which fortunately was seldom. Usually up there I am the only one doing the speed limit....everyone is passing me. Must not be many police officers on the roads or I would think they would be getting tickets. By the time we got to the border it was raining and stayed that way to the house. It had been snowing earlier here but changed to rain before we arrived home.

Have had all the shopping done long ago, both gifts and food for dinner tomorrow except for the rolls. Went to Safeway this morning around eight for those so no need to fight the battle of the stores and all the procrastinators doing their last minute shopping. Hate those crowds anymore.

We were supposed to have three coming for dinner tomorrow, our daughter plus a couple from church who have no relatives in this area but those two cancelled yesterday due to illness so it will be just the three of us. Eliminated the jello salad as we really won't need it as there will be cole slaw. The lady was to bring that plus augraten potatoes so I will do the potatoes instead. Grated the cheese this morning so that part is done. Making a trifle for dessert so will try and cut that down for three but that will be difficult because of all the ingredients. Got the ham and trifle ingredients out of the freezer to thaw. May cook the yams this afternoon and get that done. Will just have to heat and whip them tomorrow. I like to get as much done ahead of time as possible. Told DH next year we eat out on Thanksgiving for sure and will see how I feel about Christmas. We have some bucks left on an Applebee's gift card that will be just enough for burgers tonight...Mondays between 4 and 9 all their burgers are the same price....$5.99  so will have to add a tad bit for sales tax and the tip which isn't bad. Have never had their burgers so will see if they match up with Red Robins.

One of our highways across the Cascades, Highway 2, is closed both ways from the summit east to Levenworth. Falling trees coming down on passing cars. Two people were killed the end of last week and more cars have been hit after that so they closed it to assertain what to do. Can't do much as it is a mountain pass loaded with trees and all the rain previously has saturated the soil and now the heavy snows are weighing down the trees. There is another wider, more popular lower pass to eastern Washington that people can take unless it closes due to heavy snowfall which does happen. Both have ski resorts at the summits. Once Duane and I got stuck on the east side when they closed Stevens pass so we turned around and detoured around to Snoqualmie pass and when we got there they closed it, too, so we had to find a motel for overnight. Hope Snoqualmie stays open or there will be lots of disgruntled people trying to join family tomorrow. 

Have a wonderful day tomorrow, hopefully with families and friends.

False

Had a little extra time between Christmas cooking, so got online- love to come here and chat.

I've got a 10 lb. ham in the crock pot (with maple syrup and brown sugar/pineapple juice all over it for about 5 hours). Going to make mashed potatoes and gravy, served with corn. I'm making Fruit Cake Bars (from a little recipe book, years ago) for dessert. The recipe says they are like little fruitcakes. I bought a container of dried fruit just for this. I won't use the whole container, so I guess I'll freeze the rest of the fruit, since it's dried.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

The ham turned out so wonderful- no dry spot on it. I glazed it with maple (pancake) syrup and brown sugar, and it "added" its own juice, so it slow cooked in a half pot of juice.

The glazed fruit cake bars turned out good too. You must like dried fruit. They taste so wonderful. I had frozen some gravy from Thanksgiving, and we had that on mashed potatoes. Was good.

It was just my family of 4 for Christmas, but was nice.

There wasn't any snow here, but is cold (teens and twenties at night).

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Just wanted to check in and Wish Everyone the very Best in the New Year.

I am okay just very tired. Platelet count was good on Thursday.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1