Reviews of this year's Christmas hits! Cookies & Cupcakes inside :) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Reviews of this year's Christmas hits! Cookies & Cupcakes inside :)

Last post Dec 28, 2012 8:06 AM by carol1229 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Reviews of this year's Christmas hits! Cookies & Cupcakes inside :)

Good morning everyone!   I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas   :)   I tried some great new recipes this year.   

Christmas Eve we head to my parents, and I'm responsible for bringing dessert.   I make the old standbys, Chocolate chip, Oatmeal Raisin, and Candykisses' Chocolate Caramel Brownie Cups are always a hit.    This year I picked out two new cookies for the tray-   BarbaraBake's Lemon Bar Cookie Cups and RachelCook's Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints.   

I only put 12 of each on there, and my dad had eaten half of the Lemon Bar Cookie Cups before dinner.   Everyone who tried them that night and after Christmas dinner loved them, myself included.   The lemon curd is outstanding, I doubled it and have a nice stash in the freezer to fill some phyllo shells for New Year's Eve.   I have the Pampered Chef mini muffin pans, but I found them to be too small for these.    I ended up dropping the dough directly onto baking sheets with a cookie scoop and using the PC mini tart shaper to make the indents.   These are best filled the day of, by this morning they are getting a little soggy.    This is yet another hit from Barbara's blog, and I can't thank her enough for her generosity in letting us share her recipes and links here  :)  Be sure to go check out her pictures on her site, mine are a bit blurry.

I love chocolate and cherry together, and our new Super Walmart is carrying the Watkins extracts, so I grabbed the cherry last time I was there.     Per the blog, I used all cherry in the base of the cookie, which upped the cherry flavor.    I rolled them in raw sugar, and used the mini tart shaper for indenting.    The filling I left the extract out of.      I really liked them, and it made a lot.    Just the cookie themselves would be great, rolled and dropped and baked, and you could drop a Hershey's cherry cordial kiss in the indent if you can find them, I had no luck.

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

• Re: Reviews of this year's Christmas hits! Cookies & Cupcakes inside :)

I used to make full size desserts for Christmas day, but a few years ago I started doing smaller portions instead.   That way people could mix and match and not feel guilty and when it was time to go, I could easily pack up a variety in those lidded disposable 13x9 pans.    This year I went with a trio of cupcakes.

Tim loves tiramisu, so I knew these were going to be right up his alley, from the YourCupofCake blog.  It starts with a cake mix, and I only had the new downsized ones.   I had no problems with the texture, they rose nicely and I got 12 cupcakes with a little bit leftover to bake in a mini pan for taste testing.   I did not use mascarpone in the filling, I used cream cheese.  I added some kahlua with the strong coffee, poked holes in the cake with a skewer and drizzled it over so it sunk in.    I used a pastry bag with a round holed tip for easy filling.    I also covered the top with grated dark chocolate, Tim likes that better than the cocoa powder.     These were the most requested for the 'to go' boxes yesterday.    I hid one away for myself to try today   :)

For my FIL, who likes chocolate cake and that's about it, I made the Cake Mix Doctor's Perfect Chocolate Cake in cupcake form.     All her recipes start with a boxed cake mix, I went chocolate fudge this time.    Filling was piped in with a pastry bag, and I did not make the from scratch frosting this time, just piped Betty Crocker through a tip and then topped with grated white/chocolate chips over the top.

False

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

These I knew that I was taking a gamble making.   I'm the only fan of gingerbread around here, but the cinnamon sugar butter cream just called to me and I had to give them a try.    They came from the Tidymom blog, and the only change I made was to top them with some candied ginger.   So very good, and I could have eaten all of that buttercream with a spoon, I'll definitely be making that again, maybe for my birthday cake!

False

Mmmmmm, those both look so great in thier own way. I'd probably love the lemon ones, I've always wanted to make lemon curd. Good idea on putting them in phyllo dough for NYE. Where as dh would love the cherry flavored ones. Did you take her advice and make them more cherry-ier? Of course neither one of us would have any problems gobbling down some of both!

Thank-you Jolene, great recipes, reviews & pics! I got lazy this year and just stuck to my t&t recipes. Maybe next year.

I've been meaning to ask on your breadstick pizza dough recipe. I've really been enjoying the King Arthur's whole wheat white flour. Do you think that would work in that recipe. I did all my holiday baking with it and loved it in them. Thanks for your help!

False

Oops, you added more. I'll have to take another look later when you're done.

: ^ )

False

Hey Jolene~belated Merry Christmas.  These look great!  I couldn't agree more about smaller sweets portions~good for you!  Gingerbread is hit and miss around here, too but I love it. Honestly, I love almost all sweetsEmbarrassedand so does the family. Unless I know that there will be enough people to eat it all, small portion types are the way to go.

You really put a lot of time and thought in your creations everytime you make them! Great job~

Happy New Year, too!  Linda

False

All done now Jill   :)    I did make them "cherry-er"    LOL   I used all cherry extract in the cookie base.   Smelled so good baking and tasted great.    I did then leave it out of the filling though, so that could be the chocolate part.   

I don't see why you couldn't use the white whole wheat flour for the pizza dough.  It may just give it a little more chew, maybe a little less light.     Give it a try!    and Barbara's Lemon Bar Cookie cups uses it for part of the recipe and we loved those.

Linda, I'm with you, I rarely meet a dessert I don't like  lol     Tim gives me a hard time every year, saying that I go overboard, but I like to bake and it's my one time of year to really share it with the family.   Everyone leaves happy   :)     And by 5 I was all cleaned up and squared away, dishwasher running and I was napping on the couch while they build legos    LOL 

Thank you both for peeking in, can't wait to see what everyone made this year  :)

False

My goodness, Jolene, you've been a busy girl. Boy, all of those sound scrumptious! I do want to try the lemon filled cookies and the cherry cookies. I really like the smaller amounts and I did the same thing with my red velvet brownies. I never thought of using the mini tart shaper to make the indentations. I need to remember that. DH is a chocoholic so the chocolate cupcakes would be right down his alley. Our DIL loves anything tiramisu so I know she'd love the tiramisu cupcakes. Actually, they all sounds wonderful and I thank you for sharing them with us.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Oh boy Jolene-all your goodies look delicious!  You sure were busy.  I just love lemon so am gonna have to try Barbara's cookies for sure.  I've never made lemon curd-think I'll put that on the 2013 "to-do" list and see if I can actually get it done!  :)

The chocolate cherry cookies look yummy too. I was thinking the same as you-that base cookie could hold LOTS of different goodies-and you could mix and match extract to what you put in the thumbprint-with all the super duper Hershey Kiss flavors available nowadays?  Oh what fun..........and maybe the special Christmas flavor ones will be marked down with the rest of the Christmas candy?  Maybe?  Mint extract with the mint truffle kisses.....peppermint extract with the candy cane kisses...........caramel extract with the caramel kisses....coconut extract with the coconut kisses..........gulp.....can ya tell I have a good stash of them all in my freezer? Wink

Now did you do regular size cupcakes with the new mix? How full did you fill the cups?  I've heard so many people say they're disappointed with the new mixes not making many cupcakes.  I used to get 24 nice sized regular cupcakes out of a mix......don't think that's happenin' any more.  Oh and Kahlua AND coffee?  How can you go wrong?

Your chocolate cupcakes look so good.....you had one happy father in law I bet!

I love gingerbread.......and I love your addition of candied ginger on top of the frosting too.

I'm sure there were smiles all around when you walked in with all those treats!

Thanks so much for sharing the super photos, your reviews and the links.

Carol

False

What a delicious roundup of desserts. I'm with you, I'd much rather have little desserts so I can nibble on more than one. So glad my lemon bar cookie cups were a hit! 

Thank you for featuring my recipes and being such a strong supporter of my site. I hope the new year brings you lots of love and laughter.

Barbara

False

Totally awesome.  I  printed that lemon one out as well.  It just looks so wonderful and those chocolate Cc's  whoa.

You certainly had a great assortment. Something for everyone. 

Good  stuff, Happy tummys .

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Jolene- Wow! The Lemon Cookies from Barbara were saved and on my list to make but now have bumped up to the top to make. I love lemon and I'll double the filling also. I also LOVE Barbara's Blog and look forward to each new recipe.

Rachel's Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints are now also on the list- chocolate for Valentines Day, if I can wait that long to make themWink

You sure made everyone very happy with all of the goodies!

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and reviews.

Linda

False

Thank you everyone!  Tim's out snowblowing and I should be clearing off the cars, but wanted to run through real quick  :)

Joan, I love that mini tart shaper!   it makes the perfect size indent to then fill with the tiny cookie scoop  :)

Carol, I was headed to investigate kiss varieties today, but think I'll wait til tomorrow!   :) I'd say there's about 5" of heavy white stuff out there.    So excited I found the caramel extract at Super Walmart- those might have to be next, I could even melt a rolo mini in the indent.

I do regular size cupcakes, and because I wanted plenty of room for filling I went almost to the top.   I got 14 of the Cake Mix Doctor Chocolate ones, and I got 12 of the Tiramisu, but with enough left over to fill one of those little 3" tart pans for a test cake.   

Barbara, it's always so nice to see you stop by!   I am happy to share your blog, I've had so many winners from you  :)    Your format is easy to use and your pictures are wonderful.    Happy New Year to you! 

Janie,  Lots of happy happy around.   We actually had to go drop a big tray off at a friend of Tim's because we still just had way too much.   His wife doesn't bake so we thought we'd share  :)

Linda, those would be awesome for Valentine's day!   I'm also anxious to try the White Chcolate Kissed Gingerbread cookies that Carol made from Barbara's blog-  I might use dark chocolate instead though   :)

Out to help dig out, everyone have a good day!

False

So with the smaller mixes,  how many less cupcakes did you get compared to the 18.25 oz. mixes?

SURE a Rolo candy would be great in the center of the cookies!  They might stay intact if you freeze them first. That's what I do with all the Hershey Kisses I use on cookies.

Dark chocolate would taste great on those gingerbread cookies........or how about do half dark chocolate and some white chocolate for you? Wink Getting ready to post the recipe for those cookies in a bit.

Thanks again Jolene!

Carol

False

I'd say roughly 5 less?   I way overfill my tins, I'd never get 24 cupcakes from a 18.25oz box, more like 17 or 18.    With the smaller boxes I got about 14 or 15.

Good tip on the freezing.   Will note that  :)  I've got an entire bag of unwrapped minis that I will just eat straight from the bag if i don't do something with them.  

False