SAFEWAY'S TUSCAN TOMATO BASIL BISQUE RECIPE???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

SAFEWAY'S TUSCAN TOMATO BASIL BISQUE RECIPE????

Last post Nov 10, 2013 11:40 AM by gommyof5 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • SAFEWAY'S TUSCAN TOMATO BASIL BISQUE RECIPE????

I LOVE the Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque sold at Safeway stores. I have looked for a good copycat recipe, but am not happy with any I have tried. Does anyone have a T&T one?? I rarely purchase a store-bought soup, but my husband picked this up a few years ago and we have been hooked ever since!

TIA all---Toni

Gommy of 5

False
  • Re: SAFEWAY'S TUSCAN TOMATO BASIL BISQUE RECIPE????

bump

False
    Costco also has one very much the same and cheaper,
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

I will pick some up the next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip! Wish I could make it. I've tried a lot of recipes I have found, but none are even close, so far. I will continue on that quest!

Toni

Gommy of 5

False

From their site:

http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Search-Results.page?storeId=10352&langId=-1&pageSize=10&query=tomato++bisque+soup

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Recipe-Search?contentURL=http://recipes.safeway.com/recipe/13113/rich-and-creamy-tomato-basil-soup.aspx#iframetop

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Hello Gammy of 5!

We absolutely love the Safeway Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque too.  However, it can become a bit pricy for us.  So I made an attempt at my own version.  I would be thrilled if you would try it and let me know what you think.  My husband and I and our friends love it, hope you will also.

Roast a Butternut squash, cut in half, cut side down on greased cookie sheet, until soft enough to scrape squash from skin. Measure 2-1/2 cups squash for soup. Freeze remainder for making soup later.

4 T.. Butter, 1 large sweet onion chopped (Vidalia or Maui).  Sautee onions with butter in large pot (like a Dutch Oven size).

Add squash to pot and the following:  1 - 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce (if you cannot find this use plain tomato sauce but add 1 T. minced fresh garlic), 2 cups chicken stock and additional 2 T. butter, 3 T. olive oil, 2 T. fresh basil chopped, 1 t. dried Thyme, salt and pepper to taste, few dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Crystal), 1 t. Cayanne pepper, 1 T. sugar, 1 T. granulated garlic.

Blend well and simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes.  Puree soup in blender (I use a hand held blender right in the pot, much safer). When pureed well add 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 and whisk into soup.  Adjust seasonings (Cayanne and S & P) at this point.

I am anxious to hear from you about my soup. It took a little trial and error to get it the way I like it, however, I am happy with this version.

Enjoy.     onenuttycookie

False

Hello Alliea !

I read your post to Gammy of 5.  I sent her the recipe I created for Safeway Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque.  We love it and so do our friends.  Below is a copy of what I sent to her.  If you try my recipe I would love to hear your comments.  I know it is not an exact copy but we think it is terrific and hopefully you will enjoy it also. I tried to get to your links but my computer would not go there.  I wanted to see how the actual recipe from Safeway compared to what I came up with.  I will continue to try and get there because I am very curious.

Hope to hear from you.  nuttycookie

Hello Gammy of 5 !

We absolutely love the Safeway Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque too.  However, it can become a bit pricy for us.  So I made an attempt at my own version.  I would be thrilled if you would try it and let me know what you think.  My husband and I and our friends love it, hope you will also.

Roast a Butternut squash, cut in half, cut side down on greased cookie sheet, until soft enough to scrape squash from skin. Measure 2-1/2 cups squash for soup. Freeze remainder for making soup later.

4 T. Butter, 1 large sweet onion chopped (Vidalia or Maui).  Sautee onions with butter in large pot (like a Dutch Oven size).

Add squash to pot and the following:  1 - 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce (if you cannot find this use plain tomato sauce but add 1 T. minced fresh garlic), 2 cups chicken stock and additional 2 T. butter, 3 T. olive oil, 2 T. fresh basil chopped, 1 t. dried Thyme, salt and pepper to taste, few dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Crystal), 1 t. Cayanne pepper, 1 T. sugar, 1 T. granulated garlic.

Blend well and simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes.  Puree soup in blender (I use a hand held blender right in the pot, much safer). When pureed well add 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 and whisk into soup.  Adjust seasonings (Cayanne and S & P) at this point.

I am anxious to hear from you about my soup. It took a little trial and error to get it the way I like it, however, I am happy with this version.

Enjoy.     onenuttycookie

False

We love this, by the way!!! Makes my mouth water, just thinking about it. I'm so glad the weather is reaching the point where my soup recipes jump up and scream, "pick me, pick me" at least once a week! So many wonderful new (to me) soup recipes have been posted here this fall. To paraphrase another saying, "so many wonderful soup recipes, so little time!"

Toni

Gommy of 5 (and "pending")

False