Cake mix 18.25,16.25, 15.25 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cake mix 18.25,16.25, 15.25

Last post Jan 19, 2013 8:51 AM by echoel . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Cake mix 18.25,16.25, 15.25

I have 2 fav recipes I make a few times a year. They both call for a 18.25 cake
    mix. I am at the store and see 18, 16, and 15 cake mix. I thought when u bake
    it has to be exact. I google the recipies and now they call for a regular cake
    mix, and a 2 layer size cake. I always mix eveything exact and bake it exact
    and it is a hit. I am confussssed!!!!                                                                          http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Meringue-Cake                                                                                                http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/banana-cream-cheesecake-111264.aspx

False
  • Re: Cake mix 18.25,16.25, 15.25

I hope someone will come along and be able to help you with a solution to your favorite cake using a mix.

This sure is a frustration that there doesn't seem to be a solution for. There is great concern about this on all the forum sites and many are quite vocal~and still the cake mixes remain downsized.

I have read on cake mix doctor http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/2012/04/almond-cream-cheese-pound-cake/

I am lucky so far to find the larger sizes in store brand or an off brand if I need a mix. These are in our area and so far they are not downsized. If you see them, they make a good cake if you need one or don't have time for scratch.

http://www.shurfinebrand.com/products/products_list.php?store=BAKING&aisle=MIXES

False

We are no longer able to get yellow, chocolate or white cake mixes of any brand in our area that are 18.25 oz. any more.  It's very frustrating as I too have many recipes that start with a cake mix as a base that I can't use any more.

I honestly don't know what the solution is.  So many people have tried different things but have failed because the texture of the finished product is off due to all these companies adding extra leavening and heaven knows what else to the "reformulated" mixes.

I hope you can find a solution soon.......it's very frustrating that's for sure.

Carol

False

Our area is small and we have a lot of independent grocers in small radius(we go 20-30 miles to find a chain store) so if you have an independent, maybe you can ask them to stock some kind of store or small brand cake mix?  At least for now, we can get several different ones when needed.

lol-I am glad my family prefers pies and likes mostly pound cakes as most of them are from scratch. I only use a cake mix for an occasional summer cake or at Christmas so I don't feel the pinch like so many. I do see how this can affect so many that have their favorite cakes.

False

You're fortunate you have the outlets should you need cake mixes, Linda.  We don't have any small grocers in our area-just the larger grocery stores.

That's OK though-I don't use cake mixes that often...and when I did use them it was hardly ever for cakes-mostly as a base for bars or cookies-that's what infuriates me.....these companies say there's no difference in the size cake you end up with using the new mixes-baloney-taking product away will give you a smaller size no matter how much leavening they add.  It's rendered quite a few of  my old recipes obsolete.  That and the fact that they say they did it to keep the price down for the consumer-baloney-the prices has gone up on all of them around here.  I refuse to buy the small mixes-they can sit on the shelf and gather dust.

I don't bake anywhere near as much as I used to and not all of my recipes revolved around cake mixes so it's not that big a deal to me-it's just extremely aggravating. I prefer to bake from scratch, however the cookies  made with cake mix are great when you're in a hurry and need dessert fast.

I don't like being duped.......bottom line.  They snuck these mixes on the shelves with no warning and people weren't understanding why their recipes that always worked where now tanking.  It's not right........

But that's just my opinion on it..........

False

I, too, have been frustrated by this. Here's what I have done. I buy the new, 15. (whatever) box plus an extra box. Then, I open my extra box and divide it into 5 equal portions (if you have a kitchen scale, you could measure it, but this works fine for me). I put them in five smal freezer bags, put all of those into a larger freezer bag, label it with the flavor name and put it in the freezer. Each time I bake with a box of that flavor, I take out 1 of the bags and add it to the box cake mix. My cakes, then, are just like they were when I had the larger weight boxes and I can prepare them the same way. You might also want to put the eggs, oil, water measurements from the 18.25 box on the large freezer bag.

Hope this is helpful.

Toni

Gommy of 5

False

A cup of flour weighs 4.5 oz (roughly, depending on how its filled). So 3 oz of flour (the difference between an 18 oz cake mix and a 15 oz cake mix) is 2/3 cup.

So a 15 oz cake mix vs a 18 oz cake mix is missing 2/3 of a cup of cake flour.

A 16 oz cake mix vs a 18 oz cake mix is missing 1/2 of a cup of cake flour.

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful tips. I'm going to add the extra cake mix or flour and see what happens.  I've only posted on here a few times but I have been getting great recipes and helpful tips for years. Once again a BIG THANK YOU....

False

This does get confusing. I too have a lot of recipes that use 18.25 oz cake mix as the basis. Duncan Hines Signature cake mixes (things like lemon supreme, carrot cake, red velvet cake, spice) are still 18.25 oz but all the Betty Crocker ones and pillsbury ones have been downsized as well as the basic DH ones. GRRRR. I have tried adding in 1/3 c. of all purpose flour and it looked ok but I didn't like the texture. I have also tried adding 1/3 c. from another mix and that worked OK. I have not yet tried just using cake flour....nor have I tried dividing the second mix in fifths or using 2/3 c. extra.

I do have a good devils food scratch cake recipe and a good white cake scratch recipe for 9x13 pans that I intend to start using but have not found a good yellow cake scratch recipe that does not use a mix.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It does not save the consumer money when you have to buy 2 of something and it irritates me to have to toss some of my best recipes so I am determined to find a way around this and then tell the companies to go jump in a lake. Bottom line is they think the public is dumb enough not to notice that they have shrunk the price and raised the prices at the same time while saying they did it to reduce the costs. Something is rotten in Denmark!

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Here’s a list of some flours and their protein contents (gluten), from the book "Cookwise" by Shirley O. Corriher:

Cake flours (Swans Down, Softasilk): 
    7.5 to 8.5% protein

Bleached southern all-purpose (White Lily, Martha White, Gladiola, Red Band): 
    7.5 to 9.5% protein

National brand self-rising (Gold Medal, Pillsbury): 
    9 to 10% protein

National brand bleached all-purpose (Gold Medal, Pillsbury): 
    10 to 12% protein

Northern all-purpose (Robin Hood, Hecker’s): 
    11 to 12% protein

Northern unbleached all-purpose (King Arthur): 
    11.7% protein

Bread Flour: 
    11.5 to 12.5% protein

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

I agree with what you're saying Sherry.........I too will be baking from scratch from here on out once the mixes I have here are gone.  It's a shame that our old tried and true recipes won't turn out because of the greed of these companies. I'm not wasting my money on an inferior product......from what I understand even the Signature mixes from Duncan Hines aren't coming out the way they used to-they're full of holes and the texture isn't the same-nor is the taste.  What a shame.

They've monkeyed with adding more leavening which they "say" gives you the same cake with less mix......uh huh right.......NOT.  Maybe that's why the texture wasn't right when you added the flour?  I also read the Cake Mix Doctor added flour to one of her recipes using the smaller mix and said it came out OK.  Doubt it came out the same as before........

Yes it's very frustrating and there is DEFINITELY something rotten going on........I hope enough people realize there's a significant change and leave the mixes on the shelf-apparently that's the only way that consumers can get their voices heard.  Writing and telling these major cake mix companies what we think doesn't seem to be working at all.

Sad is what it is......

Carol

False

Cake Mix is supposed to be a convenience product. To have to mess around adding extra flour, or measuring out the contents from different boxes seems to defeat the whole purpose. This might be more profitable short term, but sales are going to drop off ( I think they already have) as people find their recipies don't work.

False

I SO agree with you cookguy-that's how I view cake mix-a convenience product.  And it sure as shootin' isn't convenient for me to shell out money for 2 mixes to make the equivalent of the weight of the old one, nor is it to stress about how I'm gonna doctor it with flour then worry about it not coming out right.

With the dirty deal all 3 companies have pulled sliding these smaller mixes on the shelf and saying NOTHING about it?  I hope they DO sit there and gather dust........and they realize their ridiculous idea that was cost effective only TO THEM wasn't such a good idea after all.  I doubt they'll ever go back to the 18.25 oz. mixes across the board-one can only hope.

For now?  When I need a cake?  I have plenty of cookbooks with wonderful from scratch recipes in them.....I'll just turn to those.

Carol

False

Do any of you have a Kroger supermarket in your area?  I bought six cake mixes today, Kroger brand, on sale for $1 each and they are the 18.5 size.  I have never tried that brand before cause I alway bought my favorite, Duncan Hines.  I still have quite a few DH left also, but guess I won't be buying that brand anymore.  I can't believe how excited I got when I saw that size!  Indifferent  I just hope that they're good.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I can't blame you one bit for being excited to find the right size cake mix, Carole. I hope they're good ones. 

We don't have Kroger in our area......haven't seen one of those stores since I left Indiana MANY years ago!

Enjoy those mixes!

Carol

False