PCH KITCHEN JUNE 2013 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH KITCHEN JUNE 2013

Last post Jun 30, 2013 9:50 AM by dangit . 32 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123
  • PCH KITCHEN JUNE 2013

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.
    We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

• Re: PCH KITCHEN JUNE 2013

Hi Gals, guess I have been MIA. Just don't feel like myself on the prednisone. At first I seemed to have more energy. Dr has reduced dosage twice so far. Plus we just got thru 2 weeks of cold rain. Sunshine in forcast now so maybe it will perk me up. Family is still recovering. SIL had hernia repair surgery day after Memorial Day. He has a couple of slipped dices in lower back. They have not heard the full report on MRI yet. When he recoverers from surgery he will get back to PT and find out about back. DD just needs to finish intermediate PT and she will be done. DGD still has pain in lower back and foot.

Wishing all a enjoyable weekend.

HUgs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Deery so nice to see you open the PCH room. Wow, two weeks of rain, we could use some more of that here. We did have nice rain through the night and some yesterday, the gardens are looking so good with the rains. I sure hated hearing the tornadoes ripped through OK again, and the tragedies. Hope your family is able to heal better now, with SIL surgery and them doing PT, hope it helps. I am heading to bed in a bit, tired lady. Hope you feeling better soon Deery and back to your ol self. Night ladies, Connie

False

Deery: glad you are here to chat again. We've had a lot rain, and the storms that made tornadoes in OK went through here, but no tornado touched the ground here. I haven't had to get outside and water at all for a few weeks now, because of the rain.

That little stray cat had her kittens a few weeks ago, and is calling them to come out from under an abandoned mobile home. They are so cute! There's just 2 of them- the mother is very small and very young. This is her first litter. We give her a handful of dry food every day (twice a day now, since she is nursing too). I'll talk to a neighbor because she volunteers at the Humane Society, on what we can do for the cat. She is so sweet, but our one cat hisses at her, and doesn't seem to like any other new cat. The little cat gets in the house quickly when we open the door, even when we tell her "no" and put our foot there. I almost wish we could take her in, but we already have 2 cats, indoor. The tomcat up the street can't wait for another time to be a "daddy". I wish the people would have had him "fixed" because that is almost "selfish" because it abuses other animals- if they are kittens and die from starvation or a mother cat having to deal with kittens without food.

It's sunny today and should be in the 70's- so this is more like it!

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Deery did your daughter get your AC vented and put in? I just bet you are gonna really enjoy that when it gets to hot this summer, though you have had so cold and wet days much of the time, we know it gets hot in Oregon too! Nancy have you gotten any more rain since the last storm go round passed through? Lin what about you, rain or is it nice and calm in your Blue Ridge mountains? My strawberries finally gave out I think Lin, to little rain and water on them, pots make it harder to keep up for sure, but oh they have tasted so sweet what we have gotten. Sat. I made pancakes, put pure maple syrup out for Kerry, sugar free for me then sliced some fresh cleaned berries for topping too, oh how good that was and fried some sausage patties. This morning I picked a half bushel of grey zucchini squash and yellow squash, pulled weeds up in my raised garden up here by the house. Fed my furbabies first and started out to the shop, saw movement and realized the babies that Momma kitty had taken under the house deck had made their way out, so I scooped them up and put them in Molly's nesting box where they are sleeping away, and confined. Molly is still hanging in there, no puppies yet. I need to go pull the Boston butts from the smoker and bring them in, supper and freezing for later meals when we are so busy. Take care Lin and Nancy, behave, I know, I know, impossible! Deery we kinda keep an eye on her on FB PCH, try to make her behave. LOL. Hugs, Connie

False

Hi Gals, I am feeling better. Expecting sunshine for the week. I got out on deck for lunch the last 2 days. My portable a/c is hooked up. It has fan and also dehumidifier. Probably wouldn't know when to use the humidifier. Fan worked last evening bringing in cooler evening air. Just right for comfortable night temp.

Mary, does your humane society neuter the cats before they put for adotion? Couldn't the neighbor bring a cage you might be able to get the cat in with food inside and lady could take to humane society. No good that mama will just be left to have more babies. Hope a solution can be found.

Connie the squash from garden sounded good and smoked boston butt. And you have your own little cat and dog refuge. smile

Waving to Nancy and Lin and Liz. Wishing all a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Deery so glad your unit is working to bring in cooler night time air, ahhh doesn't that feel good when the home has gotten to warm! I took me a nap myself yesterday, just tired from working in the garden picking that squash and taking care of furbabies, my head started nodding here at the computer. Today will be another busier day, putting fertilizer in the melon patch and doing some watering if I get the chance, if not today, then tomorrow morning. Kerry weed eat around the gardens last evening so the grass would not be hitting the elec wire and drawing it into the ground instead of through the fence. Deery the humane society spays and neuters the animals before they are put up for adoption, every place we have lived. Down here the humane society of SW Louisiana are not taking cats and kittens because they have no room for them, there are soooo many. Our road is known for drop offs and the parish has put up signs a few years ago saying they had put up cameras and saying dropping off animals is illegal and the amount of fines. The drop offs slacked off a bit, but now seems like they just drop them off closer to our house down the road. This ticks me off to no end. Like the 3 kittens I straddled with my Kia, Artie, Fire and Ice, they ended up all being males. Kerry was gone to Wa. state for those 2+1/2 months and I took those kittens over to the vets office after shopping around for cheapest, and paid 225 dollars for them to be neutered! That is something that someone else should have paid, instead they drop them off to be run over or someone else to take care of, always us. Now this Momma kitty and her 5 kittens. A neighbor up by the cemetery, she has married the past couple months and moved, she left her male cat, but before, he was lurking down here and impregnated Momma kitty. So we have ferral cats running the area too. These kittens will go to a lady who has a farm and they will be her barn mousers and Momma cat will go too. It is just a over and over process. Wild Thang, Speckles, Ice, Artie we have had all neutered and spayed, we took Fire over to Jenn and Ryan in AL, neutered. The smoked pork butt was delicious last night Deery on large hamburger buns, with a horseradish sauce, salad dressing and Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce on them, ohh yummy to the tummy. I then packaged up 11 good sized packs of the pulled pork and put in the freezer for later dates when we are so busy. I froze up huge homemade burritos single wrapped and in freezer bags the latter part of last week. Well need to get dressed and back to the garden to put on fertilizer, but throw in a load of laundry before I take off out the door. Have a good day, hugs, Connie

False

The Humane Society here gives free coupons to get stray cats & dogs fixed. We have a pet carrier that we can take her in- but we need to wait a bit until the kittens stop nursing. The lady next door said the mommy will take good care of her kittens- but I still think of them getting abused by little kids around, or in the street when a fast driver goes by. I guess there's not much I can do.

Fresh vegetables sure sound good, Connie. I need to go to the farmer's market here and get some. (It is so much cheaper than a store, and the people that grow it, are from around here.)

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Debbie I am curious about the free coupons that the Humane Society give there? Is it one per family? Or will they give one for the Momma kitty and then when the lil ones get big enough will they give for them as well? I would think they would take the kittens and find them homes, unless they are just to overwhelmed as down in this part of the country. We ourselves cannot afford to have them all fixed, it is just a never ending process for us, and we just can't. People keep dropping them off. My dog Molly was a drop off, we did not know she was not spayed, the vet had never said when we took her in for different procedures, and she had never had puppies in all the time we have had her, about 6 years now. You can tell she has had babies at some point in her life, maybe several times the way her teets are. A stray black lab that apparently had been dropped off, he hooked up with her and now she will be having puppies. Molly will have to be spayed afterwards, this is going to be hard on her. She is a older dog, or looks so, getting lots of graying around her eyes and face. I wish she was not having puppies. If we keep any, needless to say it will be spayed or neutered.   Yes the fresh veggies are cheaper for the most part at farmers market, but for sure better quality. Our prices will be cheaper than Wal Mart and definately cheaper than Brookshires, we only have the two named places in town, two Brookshires though, one on each side of town and boy are they ever high. I'll be making homemade breads though that have been great selling items. We are doing a voucher program Debbie which is for Seniors who are on limited income and it entitles them to 24 dollars of fresh veggies, only veggies or fruit, nothing processed or homemade, or they can buy fresh honey with the vouchers, not whipped or processed honey, only fresh. This is our first year of doing this and we are finding that few people are willing to take the vouchers because they don't want to hassle with it. But the Srs are in dire need of the fresh items and help. They get 6 -4 dollar coupons and can use only one, or all at once. If it is husband and wife both signed up, then they can get 48 dollars in fresh produce! Anyway, we are looking forward to farmers market this year! We will see how this year goes, but our gardens are looking nice still, hope we continue to get some rain as the season progresses. I was meaning to ask you about the owners of the cat too Debbie, I mean does someone actually claim to own the cat? If she is just roaming I would seriously give thought to having someone come out to pick her and the kittens up. Otherwise they could become ferral and just continue to get pregnant with a never ending stream of kittens, they can breed at such a young age! Anyway..... better get back to my bill paying here and go pick up my medicine, a trip to Wal Mart which I dread. LOL. Take care and have a good day, Connie

False

Connie: I talked to the girl next door about taking the cat and her kittens, but she seemed to not think that it was good, because there are so many animals in the shelters now. The coupon for getting a cat fixed is probably the one- but not sure how it is managed. I guess no one owns the cat because she is so thin, and sits on our patio most of the day, and then goes under the abandoned mobile home to her kittens. She is bringing them to our trailer now, but the kittens are still scared of anyone around. I hate to have them become feral and have more kittens that are starving too.

I got my medicine ordered last week and my husband went to pick it up, and the bottle said .9 refills left- so the girl said they had to call my doctor and re-order it, then it was capsules, and I need tablets because I split them; all re-ordered now. How can a refill be .9? I've never seen that before. That just seems crazy.

Mary

False

Hi ladies, I am playing mailperson this evening. Wink   Linda sent this to me in a email this evening so am bringing it to the kitchen.  Would stay and visit but the old head is hurting like crazy today.  Will try to get back tomorrow.

Linda your Mexican dinner sounds great!!! 

Hi ladies, if my friend Nancy receives this and can put it online for me. I have loafed all day, it being too hot to even get my lazy self a bowl of frosted Mini-spooners or Raisin Bran. It is only 5 so still have time before bed. Another month over with, time to pay bills again, wonnerful, wonnerful. I have the most wonderful Mexican restaurant just a bit further than my doctor, which takes 7 minutes to the front door The eatery is maybe 5 minutes further. What's so great is homemade everything, on a huge menu, extra large servings and I had their big serving too of caramelized flan. My granddaughter had something like "Zanga", undoubtably heard it wrong, but was a deep-fried crepe filled with whipped cream and cream cheese, then folded up into a square, presented on a long dessert dish with a thng on the end which was a decorative, whipped cream coated ball of cake, and a big scoop of ice cream inside the half-circle of cake. Super delicious she said.
     Her fiance passed on dessert, since he had ordered a plate that was big as a platter and still had plenty to eat and he took home about half...lol! Our waiter was charming, as they seem to always be. So what has everyone been up to besides working outside. Well we all know that's year-round for Connie.hehe. Why does't Penny post

Linda

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Good morning ladies, early early here, so glad Nancy that you were able to paste Lins message here, darned site anyway, loosing so many people. So you have loafed and loafed all day Lin? Dang, must be nice, hehe, Mexican sounds soooo good. But we had fried smother potatoes and onions with gray zucchini squash in with it, delicious and yummy on the tummy. And I had smoked a couple pork picnic roast a couple weekends ago and froze in packages. Pulled a package out and fixed a packet of brown gravy mix and put the meat in then had the potato mixture as side. We had farmers market yesterday, the first of the year, and Lin u are right, you know where this gal has been. Plus making homemade banana and pumpkin bread, then we came home as our Molly dog has been acting like she was going to have puppies. But I had started mowing by the time Kerry got here, we switched off when I asked him to fill and start weed eater for me, started thundering then clap of lightening scared me big time, I mean it was close, hehe, I motioned for Kerry to haul his butt to the shop on that mower. Came in and low water pressure, sheriffs office said lightening had hit the Beauregard water pump. Pressure was low here but able to get enough water flowing for good clean up and my gown going on and me in bed at 7:30. Had not taken my last shot, so got up at 1:05 took my shot and heard Molly whining, went out and could not find her then I hear her claws on the walkway and baby squeaking, she was carrying it in her mouth. We finally got her in her nesting box after she followed me into the house first. Sheesh. Of course she cannot hear it squeaking, but probably felt the vibration in her mouth. It is just going to be tiring day I think and I should be back in bed. Nancy have you been getting much of this rain that is coming through? I know gardens need it but we have been watering also and the gardens look very good, lots of melons coming on, cantalopes  are loaded with blooms. We sold everything we took to farmers market yesterday, just a few mini loaves of bread and Kerry brought home two yellow squash to me. Lin do you go to any of the FM there? Didn't you use to sell a lot of your breads and goodies to other people, seems I remember people ordering from you, but wondering if you sold at market? Hope everyone has a good day, enjoy your weekend. CU, Connie

False

We had our share of more rain over the weekend, but should be only partly cloudy for a few days. It may reach 93 degrees tomorrow- it sure is summer.

I just took some of my indoor plants and touched an alcohol-coated q-tip to the mealy bugs- kills them instantly, but doesn't hurt the plant at all.

I dry fresh parsley from a plant inside, every few weeks. I use a dehydrator, so it only takes about 2 hours. I can buy it cheap,dried, but just knowing that it came from a plant here, is nice.

I dehydrated some bananas last week (takes about 36 hours), and they are so good. No need for any sugar. Going to try different fruits too. We are staying away from sugar foods, so fruit is what we are eating for desserts now. Got some cherries at Sam's over the weekend, and they were so good!

Mary

False

Good morning ladies, intended to make it a point to get to the kitchen yesterday but you all know how those good intentions go. "grin"

So Connie you are a puppy grandma. :>) Did Molly just have the one puppy? My first thought when reading your post was I wondered if she had more off somewhere. We had a young kitty that had left her kittens all over the yard.LOL Had to walk the yard to find the little things. Was like hunting mewing Easter eggs. *giggle* But when they was all collected she turned out to be a top notch mama..........My DGD's hamster had babies again so of course I ended up with a little girl hamster complete with cage, bedding and food. :>) Debbi brought her out last weekend and of course I am having a ball with her. She is so tiny but eats like a little pig. Named her Truffle's kinda cute huh? Well she is sweet. :>)

Connie remember I told you about getting the laptop? Well after messing with that darn thing for a couple of weeks and hateing it more and more, yesterday David went home a happy camper. I gave the darn thing to him. LOL Microsoft can take Windows 8 and put it where the sun doesn't shine. *giggle * Even got a external mouse thinking that getting around on it easier would make me like it more....but no go. Think I will check out the notebooks or even a Mac.

Lin how are you doing today? Are you being like me and having another lazy day :>) Was more than happy to bring your post to the kitchen, any time you need me to do so will be glad to do it. Just happy I can get to the kitchen again. Such a shame that so many are not able to get here anymore. Sure do miss all of the ladies that use to post and keep us up on their goings on. Its really been a long time for Penny. She left us before all of the changes here that made posting a headache or impossible. Bet those grandbabies are getting to be big girls by now. Use to go on their site but lost that addy when my old putter went on the fritz. Sure miss our Charlie girl, every time my phone rings and it says private number, I get goose bumps. It use to always be her. RIP dear friend.

Dee and Ann if you can still read the posts, just wanted to give you gals a special "hello" this morning. If someone sends you the url to the kitchen thread would you be able to get here that way? When we had the change over the only way I could get here was a thread that I had kept in favorites. Now there is no problem. Just getting me to sit down and type out a note is mine. LOL.........does anyone else sit down at the keyboard and just go blank on what to say. **giggle**

Mary hard to say what they mean on you .9 perscription. Just checked the one I called in today and it was 2.7 , makes you wonder. LOL Think I would call the shelter about the moma kitty and her kittens and see if the coupon is for just one. To cut down on feral cats running around making more babies they may be willing to nueter all of them. In San Antonio they have a program where they actually trap feral cats, nueter them and release them. In several areas there are people that actually put out food for them. They like having the cats around to cut down on not just rodents, but also on snakes. Snakes don't like to be around where there are cats.

Deery, haven't check the weather map for your area in a while. Are you having sunshine days again? Hope so , so you can get outside and enjoy eating outside on your nice deck. It has been so windy here that sitting on my back covered deck is not so enjoyable so sitting out on the alcove of the front porch. The alcove is covered so even if its raining that where I have been enjoying my morning coffee. We gals need that fresh air. *smile* Do hope that you are sleeping better.

Liz how are you and Duane doing these days. Have seen you around the board this week and missed seeing you in the kitchen. And here I brought Coconut cake to share. *grin* Made one of those cakes using a cake mix, make the cake, stick holes in it, pour coconut cream in them, chill the cake, frost with Coolwhip and toasted coconut. Had forgotten how much my son liked those. He went back for seconds and took two big pieces home with him.:>)

Mary just noticed that you posted while I was pecking away. Do you ever dry mushrooms in your dehydrator? Have been doing that for years ever since trying a bottle of dried mushrooms from Sam's. Celentro is another herb I like to dry. Never can seem to use the entire bunch , so just buy two and dry one and then what ever is left over from the first bunch. Apples are good to do too. And yep those bananas are yummy!....of couse can not forget jerky! That is so expensive to buy and so easy to dehydrate.

Well girls it make that this old gal awhile to get to the kitchen but looks like she does not know when to hush. **giggle**

Wishing all a safe, healthy and happy week.

hugs, Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Just reread my post....and girls I really do talk better than that. LOL.............was going back to edit but have lost that post once already so don't want to try for three.Confused

False