6/10 ~ It's time for a "honey" of a challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

6/10 ~ It's time for a "honey" of a challenge

Last post Jun 16, 2013 6:53 AM by annrms . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • Re: 6/10 ~ It's time for a "honey" of a challenge

I almost followed this great little breakfast sandwich recipe this morning~lol  I like toasted English muffins and thought it would hold up better than the bread.The strawberries are coming on strong this week so it was an easy choice.

Talk about a quick and easy treat~it is light, filling and delicious..almost like eating dessert for breakfast! What a nice way to start the day...I can't believe I haven't done this before!  Linda

For instructions, go to http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/strawberry_cream_cheese_sandwich.html

Strawberry & Cream Cheese Sandwich

• 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
    • 1/4 teaspoon honey
    • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
    • 2 slices very thin whole-wheat sandwich bread
    • 2 medium strawberries, sliced
    False

victoriaglin
     Somewhat off topic, you're next challenge should be hummus

Not off topic at all!  I'm always open to suggestions!  Welcome Big Smile

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I am new here but I love a challenge! So I did exactly what was asked. Found a Taste of Home recipe calling for honey that was new to me. Since I have a lot of peanut butter on hand I wanted to use a recipe calling for both. I have always made rice crispy treats out of marshmellows I found Quick Crisp Snack Bars. These call for HONEY and peanut butter. I made them. Kids tested (i.e. inhaled them!) and reviewed them on the TOH sight. --- In this recipe the honey is overwhelmed by the peanutbutter taste. I rated them very well but in all honesty they were a mess! Great taste but like others who reviewed them, they didn't stick together nicely. Crumbled and fell appart. No way to make them into 'bars'. The taste is outstanding though! ----- Thanks for a great challenge! I may even try to do another honey challenge! ------ Julie -------

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Quick-Crisp-Snack-Bars?cpi=1&sort=

Reviewed on Jun. 12, 2013 by mamaknowsbest These tasted great. I took a tip from previous reviewer and used coco rice crispies. YES! They do taste just like nutty budy bars. Ours did 'crumble' a lot but kids have away of making a

False

http://kariscooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/alice-springs-chicken-outback.html

Finally, I am nailing myself down so I can complete this  Review. YesThis is a killer Good Recipe.  I am going to try it out again tonight using a pork tenderloin. Mr is not much of a sweet food person, but man did he ever enjoy  this one. I was  Fearful of the amount of honey that makes up the Honey /mustard sauce, so I cut back on that  and th amount of sugar got reduced as well.  That made it perfect for our tastes.

The first thing that I noticed is that this marinade really plumped  up the chicken.  I used thighs. Our preference. They had to cook longer, the meat was very moist and juicy. And the taste was outstanding.

I do have a cooking suggestion.  I sautéed the mushrooms  first. Good thing because that marinade can really stick to the pan and will burn very easily. After all was cooked through and dressed up I covered the handle with foil and placed it in the oven to melt the cheese.

This is a fabulous keeper.  I cannot  wait to test this on the Pork.  The marinade is quite a circus. Its slightly sweet, snappy and just wonderful.  Love the addition of the soy sauce. That ingredient just pairs so well with both vinegar and honey.   So here's  that list. This recipe also included a home made honey mustard recipe. 

Chicken breast halves ( used thighs )  (2)

Vegt Oil ( used Olive)

Mushrooms ( used white button)

Butter ( used smart balance ) and Olive oil

Bacon

Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend ( used Mexican blend)

Honey Mustard ingredients ( I made 1/2 of this recipe and that was plenty for the 2 big thighs that I used) Even had more than enough left over to use as a sauce on the side.

Mayonnaise

Sugar

Cider Vinegar

Honey ( used 1-1/2 Tbs )

French Mustard ( used yellow )

This is listed as a copycat Outback Steakhouse recipe.  I doubt that the real deal is any better*

Janie

Soy Sauce ( used Light soy sauce)

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Gm all~ Still have to find that cookie recipe I found online on toh.

Janie, that does look like a goodie. Looking forward to the pork review too.

Mamaknowsbest, I did make some rice krispies squares that came out very good, even use brown rice krispies to make them even healthier. If you want to take a look and try again another day/week/year (lol) check this one out. Even with all the oatmeal they still came out like reg. squares to me. They really held together nicely. The only bad part is they're not from toh.

NO-BAKE RICE KRISPIES PENAUT BUTTER GRANOLA BARS (lower-Fat)
    (Source: By Kittencalskitchen on October 21, 2003,

Prep Time: 15 mins, Total Time: 22 mins, Yield: 16 bars
    "This is a delicious lower fat bar if using reduced-fat peanut butter, these are perfect for kid's lunch boxes, feel free to add in some chopped nuts or sunflower seeds or coconut in place of the raisins,"

1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies ( for a firmer bar increase up to 2 cups) (used brown rice krispies)
    1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats (used reg. but toasted, I think)
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (used coconut palm sugar, just like brown)
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup or 1/2 cup light corn syrup or 1/2 cup honey (used honey)
    1/2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter ( or can use regular peanut butter) (used reg)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup dark raisins ( or can use either 1/2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup seeds or 1/2 cup coconut) (I used some nuts & coconut)
    1/3 cup mini chocolate chips ( to prevent melting refrigerate or freeze the chocolate chips before mixing in.

For instructions you can go to their site:

http:/www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-rice-krispies-peanut-butter-granola-bars-lower-fat-73754 

" target="_blank"> http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-rice-krispies-peanut-butter-granola-bars-lower-fat-73754 

False

Hi, everyone. I'm back with two recipes today and another one coming up in the near future. The first recipe is a TOH recipe I found online. I made it this morning and had it for lunch. It is Honey Fruit Dressing and it is delicious. I had it over cantaloupe and grapes and it was so good. And, very easy to prepare. The only thing I did differently was use dried minced onion instead of grating a teaspoon of onion. I really didn't want to cut an onion for that. This recipe also gave me an excuse to use my new dressing jar that DS and DDIL gave me for my birthday. I usually bring a salad when we eat at their house and I guess they got tired of seeing my "old faithful" Good Seasons ancient dressing jar.  So here is a picture of my new salad jar and you can see my old one next to it. They keep me up to date.

Here is the recipe:

Honey Fruit Dressing Recipe

Honey Fruit Dressing Recipe Honey Fruit Dressing Recipe photo by Taste of Home

This recipe is:

Quick

Honey Fruit Dressing Recipe

• Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
    • Yield: 16 Servings

15 15

Ingredients

Savings in fort worth, TX 76101  Change Zip

Directions

• In a bowl, combine sugar, mustard, paprika, celery seed and salt. Add honey, vinegar, lemon juice and onion. Pour oil into mixture very slowly, beating constantly. Serve with fresh fruit. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 176 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.

Originally published as Honey Fruit Dressing in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p27

Now for my second recipe. I had chosen a cookbook I have with a flag on the front for the Cookbook-aholic Challenge over in KC called United We Serve. While going back through this cookbook, I came upon a recipe (?) (some will question if this is a recipe but I assure you it is) that called to me. In fact, I will show you the page. It is under Military Kids and is called My Secret Recipe. But let me back up a little. We like to go to a local Mexican food restaurant called Rosa's and every Tuesday they have a taco plate special (Taco Tuesday). We just happened to eat there yesterday. With the taco plate they serve homemade flour tortillas which are absolutely wonderful. We always eat these with butter and honey and rolled up for our dessert - oh, Yum! Well, that is the recipe and since I brought some of Rosa's tortillas home I decided this is the only way to eat them. I almost forgot, the tortillas must be warm. So here is the cookbook, recipe page, and my photos.

BTW, the cookbook is United We Serve compiled by the Marine Corps Spouses Club, Naval Air Station/Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, 2004.

My Secret Recipe

2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons honey (or squeeze bottle for 5 seconds)
    Plate
    Small Bowl
    Tortillas

Lay the tortillas on a plate.l Mix the honey and butter together in a bowl. Spread the mixture on a tortilla. Heat in the microwave 15 seconds. Remove and roll the tortilla up. Enjoy it.

Submitted by Siri Dawn O'Day, 7 year old daughter of CWO O'Day, USMC, MAG-41.

I hope you enjoy these recipes. I'll be back with another one later this week.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Gm all.

I do not use Honey a lot. Lately I have been using Agave more than Honey  but I  actually don't use either a lot . Janie's review of Alice Springs chicken  tempted me and seemed right up our Alley though  so I too made it last night.

I make a similar Bacon  Cheese Cheese topped Chicken  recipe  (no mushrooms) with a different sauce that  DH and I both like a lot

For that recipe I use pounded out  tender Boneless chicken breasts so my favorite thing about the Alice Springs  recipe  is the  variation of the Honey Mustard sauce  and the addition of Sauteed Mushrooms.

http://kariscooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/alice-springs-chicken-outback.html

Janie's DH is not big on sweet dishes but conversely  my DH likes a little sweetness on occasion but  does not particularly like Mustard. Although I like Mustard I find most Honey Mustard dipping sauces are overpowered by the predominant Mustard flavor  and I find it hard to taste the sweetness.

I made this Honey Mustard sauce (1/2 the recipe) exactly as written except in our case I cut the Mustard amount in half.  I used bone in chicken thighs so I had to bake them longer and be very careful in browning the meat due to the sugar and honey. 

I found I did not need as many bacon pieces as stated in the recipe  but DH and I both really liked the Chicken prepared in this manner. The Mushrooms were an extra touch we both enjoyed.

I had sauce on the side to dip the pieces in which I really liked. DH is not a dipper but enjoyed the chicken. Chicken thighs are generally  our favorite when preparing chicken but I will definitely make this with Boneless Chicken breasts /or Chicken tenderloins , also Pork tenderloin Pounded thinly as  Janie suggested pork would be good. I agree

I think for us  the sauce will "pop" with the thinner Chicken pieces and browning/baking  will be faster and less "touchy" due to the sweet marinade which can burn easily.

The flavor of the Honey mustard was enhanced after sitting in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour so I would make it ahead of time. I know for a fact I will be making the Honey Mustard sauce alone a lot and using it in  a variety of ways. My imagination  is already busy thinking up additional uses for it

I used a little for a small Crunchy Romaine salad I made on the side  as well and I served the meal with homemade Ricotta Gnocchi.  Very Nice!  Thanks Janie -it's a keeper!

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Alliea

. Although I like Mustard I find most Honey Mustard dipping sauces are overpowered by the predominant Mustard flavor  and I find it hard to taste the sweetness.

Susan, I totally agree with you about the honey-mustard sauces. I've gotten where I scroll right by if a recipe has a lot of honey mustard in it. I think yours would be delicious with less mustard as you made it. Thanks for the great review.

Joan

False

Okay, everyone, I'm back with my third and last honey recipe. Again, this recipe comes from the United We Serve cookbook (see my post #6 on this thread - scroll up). I found this recipe on page 2 and it is Thick Banana Shake. I pretty much followed the recipe but made a few deviations. I only had two pretty good sized bananas so I used them instead of three.

Thick Banana Shake

3 cups milk
    3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 pt. vanilla ice cream, softened

In a blender, combine all ingredients, except ice cream, and process until smooth. Beat mixture into ice cream. Pour into tall glass and enjoy.
    Serves4-5

Submitted by Stephanie Young, wife of Sgt. Young, USMC MWSS-473
    From the cookbook, United We Serve, Naval Air Station/Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas, 2004.

Problems:

The ingredients minus the ice cream came almost to the top of my 5 cup blender. I did not like the idea of beating the mixture into the ice cream (messy), so I poured about half into another glass and added some ice cream to what was left in the blender and turned it on. It liquified it instantly so what I ended up doing was to  pour what was in the blender into a glass and add some scoops of ice cream. The shake, itself, was not thick but almost like milk, but the ice cream thickened it up.

Final Result

It was delicious. Nice banana flavor. DH loved it and drank it down in a heartbeat. Luckily, I still have some that I put in the fridge for later. (Will add ice cream at that time). From now on, I will just add scoops of ice cream to the glass of banana-milk-honey mixture. Definitely not as messy and delicious.

Here is a picture of my Thick Banana Shake.

Joan

False

Joan, both of those recipes look very good, I especially like the uniqueness of the 1st one, the super ease of the second and delicious shake. I'm not huge on banana shakes but dh might like it. Thank-you for your recipes, reviews & pics,always enjoyed reading them. Lol on the dressing jar, which is the new one? Just kidding but I really do like the old standby ones too.

Alliea, I had thought about trying that recipe to but opted out for an easier chicken standby recipe. I bet it was delicious! Thank-you too!

I did make this next one, but really can't say too much about it since I changed it up quite a bit. But dh is really enjoying them a lot so we'll both munch them down. I did add more peanut butter (actually almond butter) as one person suggested but still thought the honey taste was a little too predominate in these. Good but not great.

Honey-Peanut Butter Cookies

Honey-Peanut Butter Cookies
    When my husband wants a treat, he requests these chewy peanut butter cookies. —Lucile Proctor, Panguitch, Utah
    30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shortening
    • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
    • 1 cup honey
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix shortening, peanut butter
    • and honey. Add eggs; mix well. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda,
    • baking powder and salt; add to peanut butter mixture and mix well.
    • Roll into 1- to 1-1/2-in. balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.
    • Flatten with a fork dipped in flour. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set.
    • Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
    Nutrition Facts: 2 cookies equals 191 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
    Click here to find out more!
    False

I am sorry to say this but I don't know where to start with this recipe review

I probably wouldn't have made this if I wouldn't have had to use up the last of the cream instead of throwing it away...For us,  taste was just okay, but seriously~look at the nutrition count! YIKES  Tongue Tied

PLEASE don't beat me up for this review because on site, there are 14~ 5* reviews so the taste is there for many. This review is just MY OPINION and I would never put a review on her recipe board but I hope I can be honest here? If not, let me know and I will delete it...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Honey-Corn-Bread?cpi=2&sort=2

Honey Corn Bread

Honey Corn Bread
     It's a pleasure to serve this moist corn bread to family and guests. Honey gives it a slightly sweet taste. Most people find it's difficult to eat just one piece. -Adeline Piscitelli, Sayreville, New Jersey
    9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 1/4 cup honey

Directions

• In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In
    • a small bowl, beat the eggs. Add cream, oil and honey; beat well.
    • stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a
    • greased 9-in. square baking pan.
    • Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
    • the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
    Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 318 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
    False

Some great recipes here! I had already decided to try a recipe out of the June/July issue that had fritos in it. Scrolling through honey recipes from the link in the original post, I came across a snack mix that looked interesting, also using fritos. When I saw that fritos were on sale, the decision was final. Here is my review.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Zesty-Snack-Mix

We like snack mixes in my house, the whole family liked this one. Its a good combo of salty sweet. I didn't have oats or peanuts, so I left them out. I did add some oyster crackers, that I had on hand, they were ok, but I think mini ritz would be a lot better. I didn't have onion salt, so I subbed a tsp. of seasoned salt and a tsp. of onion powder. I also added a tsp. of garlic powder and tiny dash of cayenne powder. Because of the honey, this will burn easily so keep watch, I had to turn my oven temp down by 25 degrees.

False

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone." | Atlas Shrugged

cllw
    PLEASE don't beat me up for this review because on site, there are 14~ 5* reviews so the taste is there for many. This review is just MY OPINION

Never!!!  Your opinion is just as valid as everyone else's.  Many times I've made something and thought....what were they thinking??? Someone thinks this is good??

You're welcome to put a review on the recipe itself, especially if it's one that might be helpful to someone with similar tastes as yours.  

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks Sue~darn, I just hate to give a bad review, especially of a TOH recipe. Does the TOH-kitchen make all of the recipes in the magazines?  But like I mentioned, this one was okay but I really should have taken into view the nutrition count first. I still say YIKES

I have two more reviews...we have LOTS of honey and I am always experimenting with it...

If you ever run across a recipe that makes Honeyed Bacon~that is a No and hubby HATED it and I wasn't fond of it, either.

But this one is a winner...I just reviewed it as I wanted Jolene to see it...the flavor is awesome and makes a wonderful side or topping from the grill.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/t/883692.aspx

Linda

False
    Good morning all. Beautiful sunny morning, birds are all singing. We had friends in for dinner last night. I made 2 recipes from TOH holiday recipes, Thanksgibving 2010. For honey challenge l made the Cranberryspinach salad with bacon dressing. There were 4 of us so l halved it, l also left out the mustard. The dressing was so good without, l'll add a little the next time to see. 12 oz. baby spinach 1 c. Dried cranberries 1 med. red onion sliced 1/2 c. Lime juice. I used fresh 1/2 c. Honey 4 slices bacon crumbled 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard I cooked the bacon already chopped in a saucepan, dumped off the grease (left a little for the flavour). Measured the juice in a glass measure, added the honey to displace the right volume, put that in with bacon. Had the other ingredient. In large bowl to toss and just heated up the dressing to warm when l was ready to serve, tossed it all together, everyone loved this salad. One dirty pot, perfect. I also made the Shrimp soup with sherry. Very tastes. Good challenge Susan. To late for the dairy but l made a trad.baked NYstyle cheesecake for desert served with maple syrup. I'll go to the review page today and leave reviews. Today is the airshow here. There are only 2 Lancaster bombers still flying in the world and one belongs to the airplane museum about 15 miles from here. All the 2nd WW planes will go right over my house. It's such a thrill to hear them and watch. Janet
    False