8/26 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

8/26 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge

Last post Sep 04, 2013 9:48 AM by az_jill . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • 8/26 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge

Here we go, another week has rushed up on us.

Anyone else feel like the year is zooming by?Surprise

We need an ingredient this week and I sit here trying to think of something in season, readily available and even inexpensive.  

Turning to my weekly flyer I see that peppers seem to be the featured ingredient so let's play with them this week for something different.

Hot, sweet - even pickled!  You decide what works best for you.  

Try a new to you recipe featuring peppers and come back here to tell us all about it! 

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

• Re: 8/26 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge

lol  Sue, You are really nailing the ingredients.  I just copied a new one today.

Mexican Layered Casserole.  I will add the link here.

Base of roasted red peppers. Topped with a meatloaf mixture . Pat into place so that it forms a meaty crust( and topped with Mexi cheese and baked.

Meat mixture is Beef, onions, garlic, and salsa and cheese. ( Much like a meatloaf.)

Janie

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/crustless-tex-mex-meatloaf-cheddar-pie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Woo hoo at least I'm nailing something, LOL.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

Lol you two!

Sounds good Sue, you have been finding some goodies. I'm still working on last weeks challenge, but will do this one too.

Thanks!

False

I'll have to think about the challenge for this week regarding peppers! DELowenstein

False

Dawn E. Lowenstein

I love peppers, almost any kind.  I made this new to me the other day.  Yummy...

Peach chutney Calcutta style.

61/2 #'s peaches peeled and chopped

2 c. cidar vinegar

2 c. brown sugar

4 oz. fresh ginger root, chopped large

2 med. onions, chopped

2 green peppers, chopped

1 hot banana pepper, chopped

1 c. dark raisins, golden raisins, glazed peel

1 tbsp. salt

2 tsp curry powder, 2 tblsp celery seed and 1 tbsp mustard seed

Mix peaches, vinegand and sugar in  large pot, boil until the peaches are tender.

Add everything else, return to boil, simmer until it's thick about 45 minutes.  Take the ginger out.  Place in jars and seal.  Yeild 12     8 oz. jars. 

False
    This one Sounds good too.

Orzo-Stuffed Peppers

Orzo-Stuffed Peppers
    Packed with orzo, Italian sausage and summer flavors, these stuffed peppers make a fun, fast-fixing meal. Get colorful with green, orange, red or yellow peppers. Use more or less pepper flakes to adjust the level of heat to your liking! —Kelly Evans, Kalamazoo, Michigan
    4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients

• 4 large green peppers
    • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
    • 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
    • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
    • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
    • 1 medium tomato, chopped

• 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
    • 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
    • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

• Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large Dutch oven, cook
    • peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold
    • water; set aside.
    • Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
    • skillet, cook the sausage, onion \over medium heat until meat is no
    • longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
    • Drain. Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce,
    • tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
    • Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at

2 of 2

Orzo-Stuffed Peppers (continued)

Directions (continued)

• 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5
    • minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
    • Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up
    • to 3 months.
    • To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove
    • from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake
    • according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
    Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed pepper equals 523 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein.
    False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Those look good Janie. The orzo would be a nice change from rice. Something l do is cut the peppers the other way so they're more like a boat, more filling per serving, less pepper. Janet
    False

The garden has been kind to us the past week or so and we have quite a few peppers so this challenge was timely!

For a quick side on the grill, this was perfect...it is a quiet side that always tastes yummy. I put a piece of heavy duty foil on the grill over medium-hot heat and drizzled the veggies with the oil and turned them until crisp tender...With the fresh peppers and wonderful onions(BIG and sweet called Candy Onions), one could not ask for a nicer little recipe. I slivered the garlic to make them bigger rather than mincing them. Linda

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-pepper-skillet

Sweet Pepper Skillet

Sweet Pepper Skillet
    From Bogalusa, Louisiana, Sundra Hauck writes, "If you're looking for a tasty dish to go with spaghetti or meat loaf, this is it." The easy pepper medley is a snap to saute on the stovetop.
    4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
    • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, thinly sliced
    • 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
    • 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
    • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• In a large skillet, heat oil. Stir in the remaining ingredients;
    • saute for 5-7 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Yield: 4
    • servings.

False

Morning, morning. Great looking recipes. Thanks Janet and Linda for sharing them.  Love peach Chutney and that recipe is almost identical to the one that I have been using for years. Sometimes I switch out the raisins for currants and I use red bell pepper.  It is Yummy.

I ended up going with my first choice. I remembered  that I had a zucchini stashed somewhere in the fridge.  So this is what I chose as my challenge.

Crustless Tex-Mex Meatloaf Cheddar Pie.

Its  a very nice recipe that would work very well on meal rotation meals.  It's  very family friendly and everything bakes together in a Pie Plate.  Mine cut perfectly into neat wedges for serving.  Didn't lose any of the veggie base. Meat  was tasty and moist. The cheese has no problem speaking for itself.  I will just say that it sealed the Meal.

I cut way back on several ingredients.  Only used 1 egg, Bread Crumbs reduced to 1/2 cup, Salsa reduced to 2/3 of a jar. Cheese reduced as well and I used a Mexican Cheese blend.

I also bumped up the veggie crust by adding, zucchini slices, sliced onion and garlic. All of the veggies that I used including the red peppers were sauted in garlic.

The veggies baked right into the meat mixture and I am gambling that the left overs would make one very good sloppy sandwich. It also has great eye appeal. You can also bump it up if you prefer foods with a little kick.

Pepper jack cheese for starters and chopped green chilies or jalapeno for sure.  I used mild Salsa but hot is another choice.  I think this recipe in a small way maybe related to a stuffed pepper.  It certainly reminded me of one, minus some of the carbs.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/crustless-tex-mex-meatloaf-cheddar-pie

List of ingredients

Roasted red peppers ( 16-oz jar ) I used 1 very large, Cut into strips

3 cups Mexican cheese blend ( used less by slightly less than 1/2 cup ) divided

1-1/2 pounds of ground beef ( used a meatloaf mix)

16-oz jar of chunky salsa

1 cup bread crumbs ( used 1/2 )

2 eggs ( used 1)

1/3 cup chopped parsley ( used less and used dried )

3/4 tsp each salt and pepper ( used nu salt ( less ) and less black pepper

I did place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Casserole did have a few drips.

* my additions

sliced zucchini, onions and garlic

my rating 4 stars and a bump

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

sstetzel please PM me.

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

bonnieq

sstetzel please PM me.

BJ

Done!Big Smile

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

All your recipes sound great and need to branch out to some chutneys, Janie is always talking about them. Thanks all!! You are doing great Linda, and as Rosie would say, getting out there and rattling those pans!

I'm starting out with this recipe. I'll probably put a little of this on sour cream and eat with chips. It is a little more runnier than I thought, but could thicken up more if I chose to. But will also post a recipe Chefly sent me and use this in place of enchilada sauce. So far though I have at least tasted on some tortilla chips and the taste is really nice, and so easy to throw together.

Also am finally going to try some pumpkin chili that I've been promising hubby for weeks now. Hopefully Fri. or Sat.

Food.com
    Creamy Green Chile Sauce
    By Maine-iac on January 25, 2002

7 Reviews
    timer Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 6 Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
    1 small chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 pinch oregano
    2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans chopped green chilies ( undrained)

Directions at:

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-green-chile-sauce-18048

© 2013 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved. http://www.food.com/18048

This is the one Chef sent, doesn't it sound fabulous!! I can't wait!

Sounds like something you'd like
    Ro
    Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
    adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
    <http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/05/white-and-green-chicken-enchiladas.html>

filling:
    4 cups fresh spinach
    3 cups chopped cooked chicken
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    4 ounces green chilies
    1 can white beans, rinsed and drained

sauce:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 can (7 ounces) green enchilada sauce

Directions found at:

http://www.thebakerupstairs.com/2013/05/creamy-green-chili-chicken-enchiladas.html

False

Great recipes, everyone. Jill, those enchiladas sound yummy!

I am back to tell you about my recipe, Stuffed Pepper Soup,. This is a really delicious recipe. I followed the recipe almost exactly but I did halve the recipe and it still made a ton of soup. I left out the brown sugar as I do not like anything tomatoey to be sweet - such as spaghetti sauce or this soup. This soup just called out for an onion and since I had one, I chopped some of it up and added it. I think it was a good addition.  You could even add some garlic. With this recipe, I got to pull out another kitchen toy, my rice cooker. I swear I don't know how I could get along without this little gem. The rice was done to perfection. I use it for so many other things than cooking rice - steaming veggies, and hard boiling eggs to name a few.

This is a great-tasting soup and I will definitely make it again. Here is the recipe and my pictures.

Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe

Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe photo by Taste of Home Rating 5

Some of us cooks at the restaurant where I work were talking about stuffed peppers and decided to stir up similar ingredients for a soup. Customer response was overwhelming to our creation! —Hoss's Steak and Sea House, Krtsta Muddiman, Meadville, Pennsylvania

Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe

• Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
    • Yield: 10 Servings

15 30 45

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground beef
    • 2 quarts water
    • 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
    • 1 can (28 ounces) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, undrained
    • 2 cups cooked long grain rice
    • 2 cups chopped green peppers
    • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
    • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until peppers are tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 cup) equals 248 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1,158 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.

Originally published as Stuffed Pepper Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p51

Here is what you'll need for this recipe (minus brown sugar). The rice is cooking as I snapped this photo.

And, here is a bowl just for you.

I hope you enjoy this soup. It is not quite soup weather but it won't be long and this will hit the spot. It's still good in the summer, too.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Joan, I PM'd you!

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention