9/9 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

9/9 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge

Last post Sep 15, 2013 12:56 PM by az_jill . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • Re: 9/9 ~ Cook's Corner Ingredient Challenge

Wow, I'm really surprised at how well these came out! I know, why make something that you think might not come out? Because I liked the ingredients and was hoping they would go well together & they did!

I made only a few slight changes: used dark chocolate chips, 2 tsp pumpkin spice (might use an extra tsp next time), and added 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 c pecans. Since I used a regular size dark muffin tin I lowered the temp. to 325 but still baked for the full 24 minutes. This made over 12 muffins, so she must have used a jumbo muffin pan.

Anyway, both dh & really enjoyed these and will definitely make again! They are really light tasting and texture is very good, especially considering there isn't any regular flour in them, and so healthy for tou!

Oat Flour Pumpkin Bread
    By Ozlem on January 28, 2010, "the original recipe is from "The Wooden Spoon Bread Book" by Marilyn Moore. I used oat flour instead of all purpose flour.

Prep Time: 15 mins
    Total Time: 40 mins
    Serves: 8, Yield: 8 pieces

2 eggs
    2 cups oatmeal
    1/3 cup coconut oil
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon clove

For instructions go to: http://www.food.com/recipe/oat-flour-pumpkin-bread-410619

False

Rosie, sorry sweetie, I'm drawing a blank.

Weebil, not huge on oatmeal to begin with, but good to know yours wasn't worth the trouble. Almost tried an overnight oatmeal and still might.

Julie, how'd you like the meatloaf?

Looking forward to your review Kathy.

Thanks all~

Janie, most of the time I'm with you,,,, cookies. I do have some really yummy candy type recipes though too.

False

I have made oatmeal cookies before but tried this one from TOH. 

This gets a thumbs up from my family!

It makes a nice soft cookie.  I didn't use Tone's cinnamon though. I used Penzey's.

Nancy

Family-Favorite Soft Oatmeal Cookies

30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients

• 2 cups packed brown sugar
    • 1 cup shortening
    • 3 eggs
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground Tone's® Ground Cinnamon
    • 1 cup buttermilk
    • 2 cups rolled oats
    • 1 cup raisins
    • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

• In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
    • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine
    • the flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon; add alternately
    • with milk to the creamed mixture. Stir in the oats, raisins and
    • nuts
    • Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at
    • 350° for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to
    • wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.

okies before but tried this one from TOH.

I like it very much.

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Well, I had fun.  I have made a lot of baked oatmeals because oatmeal does not have sodium.  They all have the same basic ingredients.  The one here on TOH is fine.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baked-Oatmeal
    I sort of (as usual) made mine up so I put it below.  The reason I had just made one and put it in the fridge as I mentioned was because when we were on vacation, we stopped at the cutest little place at Barkley Lake for breakfast and my husband’s oatmeal had a crunchy sweet top which he said he liked. I didn’t ask for the recipe but as I said, they are all basically the same except maybe for spices, fruit, etc. Can’t say I followed any recipe but that cute little place did give me the idea for this one.  It was called the Liteside Café and Bakery.   This one I made is pretty close and can be eaten warmed at breakfast with a little milk or warmed in the evening with whip cream as a dessert. As you'll see, we had it as dessert!

Baked Apple Oatmeal
    2 apples sliced thin or grated, I left the skin on
    ¼ c honey
    ½ c applesauce, unsweetened
    1/2t nutmeg
    1T brown sugar
    1 ½ t cinnamon
    1 t no sodium added baking powder
    ¼ c olive oil (better to use than margarine because it has no sodium)
    2 eggs (or Eggbeaters)
    2 cups old-fashioned oats
    1 cup steel cut oats
    ½ c brown sugar (set aside)
    Powdered sugar (optional)
    Whip cream (fat free)
    Grease a 9-inch pie plate
    In a large bowl mix all ingredients except ½ cup brown sugar.  Mix well. Cover and place in fridge until ready to bake (overnight is great but 3 or 4 hours will do).
    When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 375. Place oatmeal mixture uncovered in oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  Watch to make sure it doesn’t brown too quickly.  Place foil lightly over the top if it seems to be getting too dark. I checked my oatmeal for doneness just like I do a cake, with a toothpick.  When it comes out clean, remove oatmeal and turn oven on broil.
    Sprinkle ½ cup brown sugar on top of oatmeal and spread thinly with the back of a spoon.  Place under the broiler for 30 seconds.  Be very careful as this will take off on you.  You can sprinkle oatmeal lightly with powdered sugar when you take it out if you would like.

-kathy

False

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005

Good morning!  Temperatures are finally falling, and I finally decided what to cook using oatmeal.  To make a long story short, I thought, "Why not use steel-cut Irish oatmeal in place of barley?"  I had some homemade beef broth and some chopped soup veggies already cooked in the freezer.  I thawed both and proceded to make a big pot of soup.  I had some leftover lamb and beef that I chopped in the food processor, added two cans of diced tomatoes, some Mrs. Dash, and some extra garlic.  Pulled 1/2 bag of frozen chopped spinach and added that.  I got me some soup....I got me alotta soup!  OH, (sheepish grin) I added 1/2 cup of oatmeal and simmered the soup 30 minutes to cook it.  I will portion this out for mom, brother, passers-by on the street, and us for next week.  It tastes as good as it looks, I think.

False

AnnStar

Nothing better than a LOT of soup Ann.  I always feel "rich" when I have a big pot

of soup.  Then again, yours would make me feel sort of like the Rockefellers!

Your soup sounds and looks GREAT.

-kathy

False

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005

Good morning, everyone. I am back with my oatmeal recipe. I decided to try something new and fixed Fruity Baked Oatmeal.

Now, DH is the oatmeal lover in this household and I will eat it occasionally, especially if it is chilly outside. This recipe sounded like it would be great on a cold morning. Well, folks, this recipe is not only a winner but one I think we will fix over and over again. I even went back for seconds this morning.

I followed the recipe exactly and used a Granny Smith apple, a fresh peach, and some fresh frozen blueberries. I used half an apple and just one side of a large peach to get the appropriate amounts. It cooked for half an hour and was perfectly done. I baked it in a Pyrex dish so I lowered the oven temperature to 325º.

This is not only good but I swear you could eat it for dessert. A big scoop of vanilla ice cream . . . well, it would be wonderful. I did pour a little milk in mine and it was delish.

This recipe is, hands down, a five star recipe and I highly recommend it. Here is the recipe and my photos.

Fruity Baked Oatmeal Recipe

“This is my husband’s favorite breakfast treat and the ultimate comfort food,” writes Karen Schroeder from Kankakee, Illinois. “It’s warm, filling and always a hit when I serve it to guests.”
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
    YIELD: 9

Ingredients

• 3 cups quick-cooking oats
    • 1 cup packed brown sugar
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground Tone's® Ground Cinnamon
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 1 cup fat-free milk
    • 1/2 cup butter, melted
    • 3/4 cup chopped peeled tart apple
    • 1/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen peaches
    • 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    • Additional fat-free milk, optional

Nutritional Facts

1 piece (calculated without additional milk) equals 322 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 492 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine the eggs, milk and butter; add to the dry ingredients. Stir in the apple, peaches and blueberries.
    2. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve with milk if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
    Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
    Originally published as Fruity Baked Oatmeal in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p47
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

lol-Joan! I made that too but with an apple from our orchard....I have another to try but not TOH :(

I use a quite a bit of oatmeal~fighting the old cholesterol, ya know.

This is a yummy recipe and a keeper in the file...hubby even liked it as we had breakfast for supper that night.

Linda

False
    Isn't it good, Linda? I've never baked oatmeal but this was delicious. Definitely a keeper.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Thanks to all for sharing your newbies. I have enjoyed reading through all of them.  Lots of choices and all of them are new to me.  Challenge met head on  for another week.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

What an unusual idea adding oats to soup, but a great one Ann.

R & R: Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oat Yogurt~ no bake!

My sil had sent this to me a few weeks ago and told her I may try it out on hubby as he's the oatmeal eater in our family unless it's in cookies..lol. For the life of me I couldn't get him to try even a bite so had to eat it myself.  (I was going to help anyway, to give it a chance) So forgot the toppings....waaaaaaa, but it was still very good all by itself. I did roast some pumpkin seeds for the next batch along to have along with some finely chopped dark chocolate. I'd say this is a keeper, as long as you have a little spare pumpkin available. It wouldn't be worth it to open a can for it, but did have leftovers from my last experiment. Oatmeal by itself is just too gloppy for me so this solved that problem, a nice thinner texture with soft oatmeal in it.  I did use non-fat plain yogurt, but did add the vanilla and some agave for sweetener. Really you could do this with a misc. of flavors.

If you ever get a chance, try a little pumpkin in your applesauce too. It delish!!

Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oat Yogurt
    Enjoy!
    360FN

Ingredients:
    6 oz fat free vanilla yogurt
    1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pumpkin puree
    3 tablespoons low fat milk
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    ¼ cup oats (uncooked)
    Optional (toppings): pumpkin seeds, nuts, mini chocolate chips, raisins

For directions, nutritional values and pics you can go to their site at: