Rec/Rev/Photos: Open-Faced Omelet | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec/Rev/Photos: Open-Faced Omelet

Last post Oct 03, 2013 8:30 PM by salsarose . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Rec/Rev/Photos: Open-Faced Omelet

I was browsing through some old TOH magazines (actually looking for a squash recipe) when I happened upon this Opened-Faced Omelet. It was in the TOH Holiday Recipe Card Collection for 2002 on page 43. As I glanced at the ingredients I realized I had nearly all the ingredients, many left over from recent recipes. What a great way to use up these extra ingredients. The only ingredient I did not have was the broccoli so I left it out.  I cut the recipe down just a little for only  DH and me. This was delicious and DH proclaimed it a keeper. In addition, it was very easy and quick to prepare. We will be having this breakfast again.

Here is the recipe and my pictures. Hope you enjoy it.

Open-Faced Omelet Recipe

This tasty breakfast dish is a snap to make with convenient frozen hash browns. It gets its colorful look and fresh flavor from broccoli, red pepper and green onions. I take this egg dish to all of our church brunches and bring home an empty skillet every time. -Cynthia Hinkle, Front Royal, Virginia
    TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
    YIELD: 6

Ingredients

•  1 cup fresh broccoli florets
    •  1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    •  1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    •  1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
    •   1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
    •  2-1/2 cups egg substitute
    •   1/4 teaspoon pepper
    •  1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Savings in fort worth, TX 76101  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 wedge equals 151 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch.

Directions

1. In a 9-in. or 10-in. skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the broccoli, red pepper and onions until crisp-tender. Add ham and hash browns. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. In a bowl, whisk the egg substitute and pepper. Pour over vegetable mixture (mixture should set immediately at edges).
    3. As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set; remove from the heat.
    4. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
    Originally published as Open-Faced Omelet in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p31
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

• Re: Rec/Rev/Photos: Open-Faced Omelet

Isn't it amazing how many ways to serve an omelet? It doesn't get any easier than this...

I always have eggs and will pass this on to family as they always have eggs, too! lol

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe and photos~Linda

False

Sound really great, & love the broccoli (and other veggies) in there and always have trouble folding an omelet over, so this would solve that problem. Thank-you Joan,,, sure wish I had that for breakfast this morning. Great pic!

False

I love omelets! Thank you for the review and beautiful pictures Joan! I am so hungry and wishing I had everything to make this! Smile This is a Good Morning Sunshine recipe and photos!

False

Kathy

Thank you, Joan!  I wanted to take a bite; that picture was terrific!  Will surely try this!

False

AnnStar

Thank you, ladies for peeping in. This was a yummy breakfast (and you can't have too many, can you - LOL), So easy and delicious.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Boy I really miss out on recipes like this.  I sure wished I ate  these kind of eggs. I sure miss out on many great morning treats.

Thanks Joan it really looks good.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

This recipe is so easy and delicious too.. I just had my afternoon tea and i am already looking to have this omelette

thanks Joan

False