PCH Room for November-Happy Thanksgiving everyone! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Room for November-Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last post Nov 29, 2013 4:12 PM by GrandmaCookN . 77 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 6 (78 items) 12345Last >
  • PCH Room for November-Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.
    We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False
  • Re: PCH Room for November-Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Good morning everyone, did not see a room for November so opened today. Chilly today Nancy, definately not a shorts day here but hey I am ok with some cover up for a change, been in the kitchen the past couple days baking some breads for yesterday and todays farmers market. Lin are you pretty chilly up in your lovely mountains? Throw on some more blankets lady, getting to be that time of year. Deery are you and Liz wet and cold out your way? Seems most of the country is being hit by chilly temps now, gonna have to be bringing up some wood for the fireplace before to long if this keeps up. Rains have hit us good, we needed it, but boy could do without the tornado warnings, hate when it happens after dark! The winds and weather sure did a number on our cow cream peas and alot of the okra, beating them down or bending them way over and breaking. Kerry pulled some turnips last night from the garden to sell today, yummy. I am taking everyone lunch today, have pinto beans with ham cooked and ready to go, will just have to transfer to crockpot and Kerry took an extention cord so we can keep them hot and will be making fresh cornbread in a bit to take as well. 6th annual food fest here in DeRidder is going on today with lots of vendors and music as well, it could be lots of fun and hopefully productive! Kerry had a very good day on a reg farmers market yesterday. I ordered me a new Professional 600 Kitchenaide mixer the other day for early birthday present! Some gals like jewels, give me a kitchen toy any time and I am happy LOL. Ok, I have chatted away, what is everyone else been up too? Deb hope you have found lots of patterns on Pintrest you can use and enjoy the site, it can sure keep a person busy for sure. Better get back to the kitchen... Have a great weekend!

False

Yahoo.... figured out how to get logged in again after trying on several days, don't know why or when I got logged out, but anyway. I had a horrible relapse after I was here, down in the back and hip, but is 100% better.

Yeah Connie, the wind is parading out a bitter wind today and I sat in my bedroom with my Vornado on from 8 when I woke up, to 3:30 while working on paperwork that got too far behind. Not too bad till I went after mail and discovered how quickly that chill invaded my bod after being so warm.

I have to clean out all the vegs (I bought to cook for special recipes ) in my frige that I was too sick to eat or cook. I usually have stuff in cans or freezer to eat on days such as those days go... usually bean soup or cream of chicken soup. Just enough nutrients to keep me going, not much, but some.

I am still really cold so will have to grab and run until the kitchen is warmer, so I can tell what's in there. I know there's Neese's regular sausage to make some gravy with onion and cream and I have bread. Never been one for biscuits and never, ever, cornbread. If it don't have yeast, it ain't bread. That's my philosophy. I can once in a blue moon eat a corn muffin or a biscuit  from Hardee's, but I have to get there before 10:30 and that's a trick for me to get done.

Had to come back to explain to Deb...

I wasn't raised eating beans and cornbread, in Indiana and Florida; I actually don't remember my mother cooking beans or baking cornbread. She probably did but she made a big lunch meal for my daddy who painted and wallpapered homes up to lunch time, took a hour nap or so then off to work afternoon shift at the factory. So when we kids got home from school it was mostly hamburger gravy and fried potatoes with onions in bacon grease or potato or vegetable beef soups, homemade of course. Sometimes scrambled eggs with oatmeal, milk, onion and bacon. My parents were farm raised as was myself and my brother so we had hearty meals but there were some foods we didn't HAVE to eat. I've lived in VA since 83, after a couple years in the Ozarks and a decade in Bay Area of CA. So I never developed a taste for cornmeal but do use it on my French breads and fried green tomatoes, something fried eggplant but that's usually with cracker meal. So maybe you know me better now I hope. Yes Big Smile

I had some week old leftover breadsticks, pizza, and cinnamon sticks from Pizza Hut that I threw out an hour ago. I just could not eat but 3 pieces of pizza and 2 of the breadsticks when it was fresh. Being down on the bed with my back, it didn't get put away in the freezer wrapped up; now the crows are so happy calling everyone to come look. They always make me laugh the way they share even crumbs. Plus there are 2 grown female cats that come check out the garbage smorgasboard when they hear my car start up or at least get back here from the mailbox.

Sending hello's to all, just can't post to each one at this time, sorry. I'm warming up my gravy; it was so good last evening, gotta have more. I love that sausage; it's like homemade with no "unknown stuff" in it, just meat and a bit of grease. 

Must go for now, I have icicle fingers! Love to all. Linda

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

Connie those beans and cornbread sound soooo good. Especially in this chilly weather. Yes I found some patterns to try. The coughing has got me down. I was so weak a couple of days ago that I would almost pass out during a coughing spell. Am a bit better now. Lin I can't believe that you live in the Blueridge Mts in VA and don't like cornbread or biscuits. I grew up in NY, but my Dad was born and raised on down those Mts in NC. As  treat, my Mom would make yellow Sweet Cornbread as a treat for us kids. BUT the real treat was the couple of times a year that we would get Soup Beans And Skillet White Cornbread. You couldn't find White Cornmeal up north in those days, or Pinto and Great Northern Beans, Or Self Rising Flour. When we came south every summer, we had to find room for them all in the car to take home. Now I live in TN, still in those Mts, and I can enjoy them any time. BUT then I had a hard time finding Italian Sausage, and decent Pizza. Need to go. Hugs

False

Do you all remember this?? I found it at Tipnut.com and hope I don't get in trouble placing it here...  In honor of my own beloved and so very much missed, my own Grandma, Nellie Grace. L.

THE APRON.  Do you remember ?

The History of ‘APRONS’

I don’t think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma’s apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it s erved as a potholder forremoving hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children’s tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how muc h furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ‘old-time apron’ that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma’s aprons.

False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

That cornbread sounds yummy. I make mine in my crock pot so I don't have to bend down for the oven, and the summer it works well because I don't heat up the kitchen. I just use a cake/tube pan and put it in my crock pot instead of the insert, and cook on Hi for 2 hours or less (depends on how thick). Some recipes say to put a wood spoon handle to let steam out, some say not to vent. I've tried both, and not much difference.

I remember Grandma's apron very well, even though I didn't think about it.

Showered a bit here. Has frozen a few nights. Some nights it only gets to 40 degrees though.

I made the best tacos the other night. It uses flat-bottom crunchy shells and you scoop the filling in and bake for 11 min. Turned out very good. Found a recipe on Facebook, and modified the recipe a bit because I don't care for real hot/spicy ones- can make any recipe for filling.

I was looking for a crochet pattern for a baby shower coming up, and found some very good ones on Pinterest. We got a new laser printer that prints from our mobile iPad and iPods, so it was so easy to find it on my iPod and just take "print" and make a printed copy to use.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Lin thanks for posting about Grandma's apron, how true that rings when you think back to those times, hehe, ahh yes, gathering of chicks in them. Lil story for ya, my oldest sister Donna was bringing some baby chicks home one Halloween, carrying in her lil apron, had set them down on the ground in a cemetery she was cutting through. Someone popped from behind a tombstone and scared her so bad, she ran off and left her chicks, never did find them, hehe. Mom used to gather eggs from the dump they lived at, she and the oldest sis wearing their aprons, a truck from the egg farm would bring eggs that did not hatch to dump there and with the fires burning, the heat would hatch some of those eggs and Mom and sis would gather them in their aprons and take them home to raise, then they would eat chicken or Mom would can them after cleaned and butchered. The olden days as you can imagine. Mary I know you say you use your crockpots ALL the time, to each their own, but I cannot imagine myself cooking cornbread for two hours when I can pop it in my oven for 15 to 20 mins and feed a hungry group, don't have the time, and like I say, to each their own. One time I was talking about us growing lots of tomatoes, and you chimed in with you not liking tomatoes, but like I say, to each their own. I use my crock pots and slow cookers but sure not all the time. Lin did your fingers thaw out the other night? LOL. And did you finally, or have you gotten the strength to make you some more cookies? You said the cookie jar was empty *grin* I went for doctors appt today and don't have to go back for 2 months, I was excited about that and results, went to Sonic for late breakfast and to Wal Mart. Came home and message from our son Ryan, his wife Jenn is in the hospital now, in labor with baby grandson Jaxton! Yes I am excited, had to call Kerry and let him know otherwise he would have beat me LOL. Hope everyone is having a good day, Deb you crocheting yet? Nancy girl, you are quiet, you watching your animals on the cams now? Well better go, going to the kitchen to work up tomatoes, oops, hehe, into salsa. Have a good day, Connie

False

No Connie no crocheting yet. I will be off line for a while. Can't explane but Hope to be back before Christmas. Hugs to all

False

Well good luck Deb, hope to see you back one day, take care and Happy Holidays to you and your family. Connie

False

Hi Connie, Lin, Debbie Mary. Time fly's too fast and find it hard to get in here very often. Nice to see all you Gals. Debbie, take care until we see you again. Hi Mary, what baby item will you be making for the shower. I don't remember if you said.

Hi Lin, sounds like you are doing a little better then the last time I looked in.

Connie, how exciting waiting for new grandson to be born.

I am doing well. Can now go 3 weeks between labs. Yesterday a tree on daughters property fell on power line. Power company came and cut it down. Didn't have a power outage. I was surprised we didn't.

Wishing all a good week.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Hi Girls, Well I finally found you all again.  After I found you the first time my laptop decided it was done, infected by a bad virus, yes I had virus protection but the tech said it was the worst virus he had seen and couldn't fix it.  So I finally located you guys again and it let me in.  :)  Connie, how exciting for Jen and Ryan, hope all is well with baby Jaxton and mom as well.  Funny you were talking about cornbread and beans, we had chili tonight with cornbread muffins.  Yum.  Lin, nice to see you again as well, hope you are feeling better and that you got warmed up.  Debbie, sad to see you go but hope you will be back soon.  Deery, how are you doing lady, hope staying warm.  Waving hi to Nancy if you pop in.  So glad this dang site will finally let me in with no problems now after I had such a hard time for a long time.  Jim and I are all ready for winter, wood in, Christmas shopping done and MIL getting ready to move down south, this weekend so that in itself is wonderful news.  Hope everyone has a good night.

False

Howdy... Once more I got here in through the back door. Those dump chicken meals sound pretty good, hey? I'm scared of chicken in the market, all the stuff on tv just makes me quesy about a lot of foods that used to be so good. Anyway, funny story Connie. How is your honey doing?, recovered from all that garden work and selling? I miss selling at my Farmer's Market but just moving a bit is a reminder why I can't do it anymore. I know exact;ly what you mean Mary about stooping over with back or hip joint problems. I bought a beautiful red toaster oven from www.Ginnys.com to bake in to eliminate some of the oven bending with cookies especially. And by the way Nancy, Ginny's has a Vornado less than a hundred and is guaranteed by both her and the manufacturer. It is designed to heat a whole room by vortex. They also have an Oreck air puriifier, less than 3, or a couple others that clean the air less than 1. I've dealt with Ginny's for close to two decades and it's quality, and delivered to the door in 2-5 days. The longer period is shipments from a company from reputable businesses also.I just received the new red and black super-slick rolling pin, love it!  Well, I've had nothing to eat yet today going on 3:30 so guess I need to take care of that, then I'm naking a $300 Fudge Cake with poured on Fudge Frosting that sets up firm after it fills the holes punched in the cake while it is still hot. I haven't ever figured out how that happened but I got that recipe in '83 when me and my 2 kids moved here. I also found a dip for graham crackers and/or apples. I'm leaving the link and will be back in a couple of days. What happened that Deb has left and when? I must have missed something along the way. Hugs...

5 Minute Apple Dip

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-candied-apple-crunch-dip-recipes-from-the-kitchn-196708 

False

Lin I had to copy off the recipe you had the link for to share, ewww it sounds and looks sinfully delicious LOL. I like the idea of using candy bars from Halloween as well, thanks for the link

Candy Crunch Dip

Yields 2 cups

1 (8-ounce) package room temperature cream cheese
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar 
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 (8-ounce) package chopped toffee bits (such as Heath or Skor), divided
    Apples, graham crackers, and/or pretzels for serving

In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in all but a handful of the toffee bits. Transfer to a bowl and garnish with remaining toffee bits. Serve with sliced apples and graham crackers

Recipe Notes

• If you have leftover Halloween candy bars, pulse them in a food processor and throw them in the recipe with or instead of the toffee.
    False

Lin actually the honey is doing ok, still working himself silly, we planted the second garden and it did so so, but we have had okra to sell as well as some smaller late crop of tomatoes and now the turnips he is even selling along with my breads and his wood crafts so he has definately been busy. He is going to the shop in a bit to work on some pine and oak trivets he has made and sold, one solid piece of wood, unique. But thanks for asking. I have a toaster oven that I used a fair amount, then it got put aside and I needed my counter top for other things, so I put the darned thing away, sometimes I think I would love to have it out to use, but the bending to pull out and put away. Well it is still put away, lol. Deb didn't say why she was having to leave for a while, sometimes she just does, well wishing her the best anyway. Ann glad you could find the room again, darned virus's to bad we can't take a shot for the buggers. The time is rolling around fast Ann, am I seeing you doing the happy dance yet? No I am kidding, just maybe things will be less stressful when she moves and she will be happier there, you two have done all that you can.. Hugs

False

Those new babies are so special!!

Deery: I made a crocheted bib and booties for the new baby girl who is due in Feb. (Pastor's daughter, so everyone will be there!). I just finished them last night. Now I'm crocheting some Christmas gifts.

Getting cold again today- temps. keep dropping. It should freeze again tonight.

I've been buying salsa in a jar at the grocery store because it's more convenient than making it, because tomatoes don't grow well here (under the black walnut trees- they get suffocated), and I'm the only one in the family that will eat raw tomatoes- I remember my dad growing them every year in his garden when I was growing up. The salsa is good when I make those baked tortilla bowls and add any taco filling I want, to each bowl. It was good with refried beans, burger and salsa.

I cook the cornbread in the crock pot because when I bend down to put things in or out of the oven, I can't get back up again without help from my arms on a counter. That's why I use the crock pot so much. It is terribly frustrating when I can't do something I used to do so easily, without thinking about it. (I had a bag of frozen chicken breasts at the bottom of the freezer this morning, and had to have my son move it for me so I could get something else- the bag wasn't heavy at all, it's just that I was bent over and there was no way I could lift the bag and lift myself to a standing position at the same time. No pain, but just frustration.)

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!