PCH Room: December 2013 Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season to One and All | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Room: December 2013 Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season to One and All

Last post Jan 01, 2014 11:23 PM by dangit . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • PCH Room: December 2013 Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season to One and All

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.
    We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False
  • Re: PCH Room: December 2013 Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season to One and All

I  looked for new opening when I realized today is first of Dec! Where o' where has it gone. Is everyone resting from Thanksgiving and Black Friday? I did not go into any stores, Thurs, Fri or Sat, I will be so glad when I can walk into a store again without the crazy crowds, can you believe all the nuts out there fighting over sale things? Nothing is worth that. Well what excitement did you all have? Did all your dishes turn out great and yummy? Today I am going to try to get some sewing done, breakfast is finished, cats fed and Kerry is out in his shop already working on wood working projects for this next Fri and Sat. Farmers market will be reg on Fri but Sat is Miracle on Washington Street, music, food vendors, crafters, along with farmers market, and it is supposed to be in the 30's for the high temps, hope people still bundle up and come out. Then this will be my finally bread baking for the year I think, I am tired ladies and need a break. Rest up for the next year right? No, honestly I need to think about getting ready to go to AL for the Christmas holiday, then coming home and resting up LOL. Have a good day all...

False
  • Re: PCH Room: December 2013 Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season to One and All

I hate to admit this, but I had a really lousy Thanksgiving. It started about 2 hours before we ate. I was nauseous, and forced myself to eat. I kept all things that I ate down, but I didn't really want them. I also kept having stomach cramps. Nothing sounded good to me. A couple of times I was on the verge of bringing everything back up. Luckily I had gotten some Gingerale, and it settled my stomach, but I still don't actually want anything, but I know I have to eat. At least the cramping and nausea have stopped. I know it is stress. I think we start moving tomorrow. When we get settled things should get better. The kids are driving me batty. The good news is my shopping is all done. I do it on-line, so no-lines. LOL I better go for now. Hugs

False

Last Friday, my sons were both off school, and they went out Christmas shopping and also got my late birthday gift. It is a Magic Bullet blender/chopper. I've wanted one for a few years now. The boys only found a day when they both could go to a store together- with school and work, there's not much time. We ate a Thanksgiving dinner in an hour, since one of my sons worked until 3 pm, and the other started work at 4:30. I made a turkey breast in the crock pot (had everything but legs and wings- even had bones, so I'll be making broth soon!), homemade yeast tri-shaped rolls, homemade applesauce with cranberries, stuffing, smooth cranberry sauce, and condiments. Worked out well. The boys have their last week of school before finals week.

It may get warmer tomorrow, but a cold front is coming through Wed. sometime.

Keep up the joy, even if you don't feel like it! It sure does make a difference inside, even if you don't think it will! Just have a laugh or smile.

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Hi Gals, Connie, thanks for opening December Kitchen. It has come way too fast. And I think you should get a rest from the bread baking. smile

Nancy and Ann, thanks for November Birthday Wishes. Daughter got me the neatest shawl. Maybe it is crocheted. A big circle with two holes for arms. The space between the arms is what covers the back. Put over back. Put arms thru holes. Top of circle folds back like collar. Keeps shoulders and back warm. And because of arm holes it stays on when moving around. It is a burgundy purple.

Debbie, sure sorry you were not able to eat much on Thanksgiving. Stress is hard on the body for sure. Sure hope the move goes okay and you and family can get settled.

Mary your dinner sounded good. And applesauce with cranberries sounded good also.

Nancy posted on Nov 29. Nancy, hope your arms got some rest and are doing better.

I went to daughters for Thanksgiving afternoon. She sent plate of leftovers home with me that lasted for 2 meals.

Waving to Lin, Liz and Ann and any others.

Take care and stay warm.  It may get down in the teens for a few days here.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Sorry you dlidn't feel well Debbie for the big feast. It must be going around as DH didn't feel up to par yesterday but is better now. I had planned on going for our yearly labs this morning for the cardiologist but thought better of it as I didn't know how he would feel this morning. We have to fast for 12 hours so like to get there by around 8 a.m. so we can then eat and have coffee....mainly the coffee!   lol Will go tomorrow instead. Have to help decorate the clubhouse when we get home.

I had issues on thurs. so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Started muscle spasms along the edge of my back on Wed around noon and got progressivly worse with grabbing pains about three a minute. Thankfully I didn't have much left to do on Thurs. as I had lots of the prep done by noon on Wed. The three ladies who came for dinner did all the clean up while I laid on the sofa moaning. Drug myself to the walk in clinic on Thurs. morning and one good thing about going on a holiday is there was hardly anyone there ahead of me. Got in in about flive minutes. Gave me a muscle relaxant shot which I have to say was worthless and pain pills. Never stopped hurting until Fri. morning.

Left overs were gone by Sun. or in the freezer for turkey soup maybe lin January.

We are going to Harrison Hot Springs this month...our Christmas present. Duane doesn't drive anymore so would have to shop on line and there is really nothing I want and he neither so will do the trip and call it our present. Works for me.

Need to go make a loaf of bread in the machine. Gumbo for dinner tonight.....haven't had that in ages. Yummy!! And have tapioca soaking for pudding.

False

Hi everyone. Derry I'm glad you got to visit with family. Then have 3 days you didn't have to cook. I don't cook much, but I'm hoping that DD will let me start doing more of the cooking and menu planing. Before I found TOH magazine, I used to read Woman's Day magazine every month. My favorite part was the monthly menu. I would use some of their ideas, and add some of mine. I would insert a day of "reruns". I pretty much stuck to my plan. It drives me crazy, when the afternoon rolls around and DD doesn't have a clue about what to fix, and the meat is all frozen. That's one reason The first two items that are on my post Christmas shopping list are a microwave, and a pressure cooker. I actually have a pressure cooker at ESIL's house, but he used it once and it "blew up", but I'm not sure exactly what blew. I'd rather get a new one. I will get the old one back because you can always use a big pot. I also need to fix up my pantry with just about everything to make an emergency meal. Also the dump and go meals. Liz next year NO HOME COOKING ON THANKSGIVING. I'm glad you are feeling better too. Deery that shawl sounds nice. Mary I hope you enjoy your new toy. Connie can the dough hook on the KA be used to mix meat for meatloaf or meatballs? Gotta go get new recipes I probably will never use. Hugs

False

LOL Debbie....it's not that you will never use them it's knowing they are there if you WANT to use them.

I said last year we'd eat out this year but look what happened!

I suspected a few years ago my digital pressure cooker had an issue with the red button that pops up and down so a friend checked it out for me and said there was nothing wrong with it. Well, I still haven't tried it yet. When I do I am going to put it out on the patio so I don't have to repair a hole in the ceiling or clean up a mess!

Made gumbo tonight. Haven't had that in a very long time. Will have that again tomorrow night along with the beef and salsa skillet I made last night and also had left overs.  Easy meal. Made tapioca pudding today, too.

Tomorrow we go to the lab for our yearly blood test for our cholesterol plus I think they test a bunch of other stuff too. Have to fast for 12 hours so nothing more tonight or in the morning and that includes coffee. Will get there around 8:00. Then go see the cardiologlist next week.

Thurs. morning a few other ladies and me will go decorate one of the clubhouses. Don't know why I said I'd do it.....haven't even started on my own. No enthusiasm for that anymore. Don't get old.....

Saw a recipe I'd like to try for cookies using almond paste. Where do you find that in the store, in the bake isle and is it in a can?

Supposed to be cold tonight....guess they're right as it is already 29.

Connie, when do they stop having the farmer's market? I would think no one would want to brave the chilly weather.

Take care.

False

Hi. Liz I think that is in the baking aisle. I have never used it, but I also have a recipe in my many files that use it too and was wondering the same thing. I doubt that I will do much as far as baking etc is concerned. I won't do it here, and doubt that we will be settled enough to do it in the other trailer. DD is cleaning now, and we will need to move slowly since she has so much on her plate right now. I finally got my computer straightened out. I have banned all kids from using it. There were so many "clean up" apps installed that it took forever to change pages and log in. then I'd get error messages, and was on the verge of tossing it out of a window just out of frustration. I went through all of my files and deleted all of those files and games that were not used. After that, I tried going to the net, and bam right there. There was also a message showing up when booting up about some script that was slowing down my browser. Even after the clean up it still was showing up. I FINALLY found out that it was my Weather Channel app. Since that was taken off I don't have any problems. It is my opinion that those clean-up apps actually slow down your computer so that you will buy their software. Need to surf. Hugs

False

Deb: do you have a crock pot? There are so many easy recipes out there. You can make some easy dishes in the morning, and you will have your dinner ready when you are. Just look at the dishes on this site, and even search the web with your search in your browser- take "crock pot recipes" or more specific, if you want. I've found some easy ways to make things, and even take casserole dishes that are for the oven, and make them in the crock pot. It saves money, since you aren't using the energy for an oven too.

Most of the state got heavy snow and/or ice, but the top half of the state missed it- we never got any here. I watched the radar, and the precipitation clouds were moving east, so the bottom half of the state was in the "line". It sure is cold, and we are predicted with single digit tonight- 6 degrees, because it will be clear.

I had a yearly blood test today- I fasted for 12 hours too, since cholesterol level was checked. Just part of my yearly general check up.

Scanned more slides yesterday, now today I'm back to crocheting for Christmas. I made one of those capes (like a shawl with holes for arms) a few years ago. It works out so well because arms are free to move, or you can pull them in under the cape.

Mary

False

Friends and family, just wanting to ask you to keep Kerry in your prayers this evening and the future. This morning he was taken by ambulance to the hospital in town in critical condtion, having a 100% and 99% blockage, they found he has had a heart attack. They could not blast the blockages, and he was transported to Lake Charles critical but stable. This evening early they were able to open the arteries, but he has damage to his heart but the doctor hopes it can heal. Just keep him in your prayers please. I came home for a couple hours and heading back in a few mins, busy night on the highway I think. Our oldest son Ryan, his wife and new baby are on the road from AL as well. Youngest son in Antarctica but we know he and his family have their Dad in their prayers as well. Not wanting to put out shocking news for anyone, hope they have gotten the news by now, but need prayer warriors tonight... Hugs and thank u, Connie...

False

Just had a feeling to check on the PCH kitchen. Sure glad I did.

Oh Connie I am so sorry Kerry is having heart problems!!! Prayers already going up for him from Tx. May God lead the doctors to proper treatment and may God grant Kerry healing. Prayers included for you also dear friend. You was on my mind all day yesterday, in fact nearly called you a couple of times. Know that you are going to be spending your time with your sweetie but if you get a chance to let us know how Kerry is doing please do.

Sending prayers and lots of love your way.

Good day to all , can not stay on the putter long but did want to send hellos to all.

hugs

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Connie prayers sent I'm so sorry you are going through this. It makes my issues seem so trivial. We have only had a dusting of snow on Thanksgiving, and it melted before we ate. It has been chilly here, and some rain, but no bad weather. Hugs 

False

Connie: you have prayers, from me, in your name! Keep positive thoughts in your mind- it really helps.

Nice to have friends who will pray with you!

Mary

False

Hi Gals, had an inch of snow back on maybe Friday during night. still on ground.  it got down in low teens. When I got up Saturday morning water was running fine. Took shower. all soaped and conditioner in hair and water stopped. Must have been frozen and maybe I drained hot water tank? Called DD. I had 2 liter bottles on back deck full of water. DD heated one up and I rinsed with that. Later in afternoon frozen part had melted. It was fine yesterday. Continued in  low teens. Same this morning. Water was running fine. Put in a load of wash. Out of water before it was full. Got up to 25 today but doesn't seem like it is going to melt pipe today. May warm up tomorrow to have rain. Paper said we haven't been that cold since 1989. Don't know where frozen pipe is. Well house pipes have frozen before in teens so DD keeps light on in there. And she put small heater on for awhile. And if it is in well house I don't have water pressure. So it is a mystery where frozen pipe is..

Continued prayer for Kerry and Connie.

Take care everyone and stay warm and safe.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1