Cooks Corner 2014 Ingredient Challenge *** Winner added*** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cooks Corner 2014 Ingredient Challenge *** Winner added***

Last post Jan 19, 2014 12:42 PM by dublinlab . 36 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) 123
  • Re: Cooks Corner 2014 Ingredient Challenge

Wow, great job you guys! Thanks! Still thinking here, but did find a couple of possibilities.

False

Orange Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Recipe I got from my newest Baking recipe book from Taste of Home! I did make SOME adjustments, but I basically stuck to the recipe directions!  this was actually a variation of Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.

1/3 cup butter, melted

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup WHOLE fresh or frozen cranberries

3/4 to 1 cup ground Navel orange

1/3 cup orange juice

3 eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. orange extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

I used this upside-down cake pan I'd purchased from the Country Store. Combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Arrange the orange mixture and cranberries over brown sugar, covering the sugar.

In large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored (I beat about 5 minutes, using my wire whisk

attachment).  Add sugar gradually, beating well.  Blend in orange extract and orange juice.

I sifted the flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well (I beat 5 minutes on medium speed.)

In another bowl, I used an egg beater to beat egg whites until SOFT peaks were formed. Fold into

batter.  Pour over fruit.  Spread evenly.  Bake at 375o F. for 45 MINUTES. I tried time at 35 minutes and cake tester was gooey!  Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.  Run knife around edge of cake to loosen from pan.  Inverted onto a clean baking sheet with waxed paper; then tranferred to a serving plate.

This cake looked beautiful!  I presented the cake to my Mom to reserve for when we have friends drop by or guests!  Cake makes at least  9 servings. delowenstein:-)P

False

Dawn E. Lowenstein

Leave it to me to find the easiest recipe, but was really hankering for an orange juilius type drink and this was just perfect. Probably more of a summer drink for a lot of folks but I'm not super fond of thick slushy drinks so I changed this slightly for my own tastes. Great flavor, very refreshing and will definitely make again!! (Soon... I still have 1/2 12oz. can of o.j. to use up. They don't sell 6oz cans, I don't think?)

I did use stevia instead of sugar, about 2 sm. packets, almond milk in place of regular, and about 6oz. plain yogurt to make up for the ice cubes I left out. Mine was probably thinner than it should be but not only do I like it better like that, I can also put it in the fridge and it won't get watered down.

Great job Sue Ellen, thank-you for your recipe! I'll write a review on this link too.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frothy-orange-drink

Frothy Orange Drink

Frothy Orange Drink
    Sue Ellen Bumpus of Lampasas, Texas relates, "A teaching friend blended this sunny slush in a wink at school early one morning. It put a little 'zip' in my day!"
    4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 8 to 10 ice cubes

Directions

• In a blender, combine all ingredients; cover and process until
    • thickened and slushy. Pour into chilled glasses; serve immediately.
    • Yield: 4 cups.
    Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 204 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
    False

Great job Dawn, you're really going to town! Your cakes sound really great and bet your will love to share with friends.

I will fix a salmon dinner later in the week for the challenge, that's still easy but not like my last one.

False

Can I use any of the publications: ex: old Light and Tasty, Simple and Delicious, or even the special big magazines that they put out for holidays?

Thanks,

Lori

False
    I did the challenge and know this is a keeper. Zesty Lemon Curd, Jean Gaines from Arizona. Wow, l made an angle food cake, served curd on top with fresh black berries. It looked so pretty and so light and tasty. This is the nicest lemon curd l have ever made. I took out the white membrane before l beat the eggs. Janet
    False

I made the Tender Lemon Chicken recipe that I posted earlier.  I used up a leek from the refrigerator instead of the onion.  The liquid fell just below the minimum fill line in my pressure cooker so I added 1/4 cup dry vermouth.  This was super easy to make, and it came out delicious.  The sauce was a thickened version a Picatta sauce.  I served it with leftover 2x baked potatoes that I had mixed with the new Helluva Yogurt with roasted vegetables and a TOH recipe:Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon.  I made only a portion of that recipe.  Here are the pictures

Tender Lemon Chicken

Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

I used a little bacon fat and sprinkled on some bacon bits because I didn't have any bacon thawed.  No citrus in this, but I went well with the above dish.  Next time I may try just plain vinegar instead of salad dressing.

False

AnnStar

cooktocook

Can I use any of the publications: ex: old Light and Tasty, Simple and Delicious, or even the special big magazines that they put out for holidays?

Thanks,

Lori

Lori, feel free to use recipes from any source and that goes for Taste of Home, too. It could be from a magazine, book, or pamphlet. My recipe is from a magazine.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I've really enjoyed seeing all the yummy recipes. It's great to see so many participating.

I made my recipe tonight and it was another winner. As you can probably tell, I am sticking close to healthy recipes since DH and I are watching what we eat.  My recipe, Lime Honey Fruit Salad, is from a TOH bookazine (combination book and magazine) that I picked up from Sam's the other day called Quick & Light. I love where it says "133 recipes for a skinny new you!" The recipe is on page 73.

I made this recipe almost exactly as written but made a few changes. I halved the recipe for just the two of us using one apple, one pear, and one clump of green grapes. I halved the dressing and it was perfect. I did not have any poppy seeds so left those out but did add a little lime zest from a fresh lime. Even halving it, I had some salad left over. The recipe says to let the salad sit overnight but I did not do that. This salad is absolutely delicious and DH scarfed his down in a flash. He loved it as did I. The lime flavor just makes this delicious salad and I liked the added lime zest. It made the salad taste so fresh. I will eat the leftover salad tomorrow to see if I can tell a difference in letting it sit overnight. If there is a noticeable difference, I will come back and report it; however, I don't see how it could be any better. We loved it. This is definitely a five star recipe.

Here is the recipe and my picture. Try it, you'll like it!

Lime-Honey Fruit Salad Recipe

Nothing is more refreshing to me than a seasonal fruit salad enhanced with this simple honey-lime dressing. —Victoria Shevlin, Cape Coral, Florida
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling
    MAKES: 12 servings

Ingredients

•   1 teaspoon cornstarch
    •   1/4 cup lime juice
    •   1/4 cup honey
    •   1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
    •  3 medium Gala or Red Delicious apples, cubed
    •  2 medium pears, cubed
    •  2 cups seedless red grapes
    •  2 cups green grape

Nutritional Facts

3/4 cup equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fruit.

Directions

1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine cornstarch and lime juice until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 20 seconds; stir. Cook 15 seconds longer; stir. Stir in honey and poppy seeds.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, pears and grapes. Pour dressing over fruit; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
    Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
    Originally published as Lime-Honey Fruit Salad in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p30
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

My dad's cholesterol and my Bp meds don't allow grapefruit either . But it sounds yummy I agree with you on that !
    False

Lemon Curd Tartlets  Review *

I made just 1/2 of this recipe yesterday.   The results were very good.  It yielded 3/4 of a cup.  I ever served them just like in the photo  only I used a few Blueberries to dress up the top.

This is a very quick and easy recipe as far as putting it together.  The hardest thing was keeping up with the whisking. I was afraid that the mixture would break before I added the butter cubes. But it worked out ok. I did have to crack up the heat just a wee bit in order for the liquid to thicken.  It has a nice color and is not tart at all. In fact I'd reduce the amount of sugar if I were to make it again.

This is just a personal problem as I have arthritis in  my right thumb area and it did become painful.  I think that the reviews on this one and the rating are right on the money.  This would make an excellent filling for Thumb Print cookies.

It's a very light and refreshing recipe.

Janie

Lemon Curd Tartlets

Lemon Curd Tartlets
    This has been in my party recipe collection for over 30 years and never fails to satisfy my guests. I can always rely on these fancy treats to please even the fussiest guest. —Jessica Feist, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
    15 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + chilling

Ingredients

• 3 eggs
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
    • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
    • 1 package (1.9 ounces) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells, thawed
    • Fresh raspberries, mint leaves and/or sweetened whipped cream, optional

Directions

• In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar,
    • lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking
    • constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal
    • spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and
    • refrigerate until chilled.
    • Just before serving, spoon lemon curd into tart shells. Garnish with
    • raspberries, mint and/or cream if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
    • Yield: 15 tartlets.
    Nutritional Facts: 1 tartlet equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
    False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

This sounds like fun! Smile

I decided to try a savory lime recipe, since that's something I don't usually make. I chose Taste of Home's "Honey Lime Chicken" because I had all the ingredients on hand. I cubed the chicken breasts instead of leaving them whole and used pineapple chunks instead of slices; then I served the mixture over rice...yum! The lime flavor was a bit stronger than my husband preferred (so I'll tone it down a little next time), but we both really enjoyed it!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/honey-lime-chicken

False

Sue Gronholz

One of the original 1000 Taste of Home Field Editors and honored to be serving since 1993!

These all are sounding so good! Joan, that's one of my very favorite combination for fruit salad, lime/honey. We use different fruit but it's all good!

Snuck in part of a recipe tonight that came out really good. Only had a small piece of salmon so it would have been hard to do that portion of it. (bet it would have been terrific though) But let me tell you, that sauce is good enough to eat just with a spoon (if it wasn't quite so unhealthy). I just cruised around a bit and found a recipe for potato salad using this kind of dressing and may use the rest of it on that......... or just have more salmon! Great sauce!!

Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce

Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce
    There's nothing like fresh salmon, and my mom bakes it just right so it nearly melts in your mouth. The sour cream sauce is subtly seasoned with dill and horseradish so that it doesn't overpower the delicate salmon flavor. —Susan Emery, Everett, Washington
    6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients

• 1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)
    • 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
    • 1 teaspoon onion salt
    • 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
    • 6 lemon slices
    • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
    • DILL SAUCE:
    • 1/3 cup sour cream
    • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    • 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    • Pepper to taste

Directions

• Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil;
    • grease lightly. Place salmon skin side down on foil. Sprinkle with
    • lemon-pepper and onion salt. Top with onion and lemon. Dot with
    • butter. Fold foil around salmon; seal tightly,
    • Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Open foil carefully, allowing steam
    • to escape. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-12 minutes or until the
    • fish flakes easily with a fork.
    • Combine the sauce ingredients until smooth. Serve with salmon. Yield 6 servings.
    False

Yum on all of the recipes, folks!

Jill - Except for the horseradish, I use a sauce like that in a shrimp salad.  Would be great on potato and pasta salads, too!  I use fresh dill instead.

False

AnnStar

Congrats to All! All of these recipes look wonderful.  Thanks for playing along !

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.