1/13 - Cook's Corner Recipe Challenge! Pizza! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

1/13 - Cook's Corner Recipe Challenge! Pizza!

Last post Jan 27, 2014 11:58 AM by Googeegaga . 41 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 3 (42 items) 123
  • Re: 1/13 - Cook's Corner Recipe Challenge! Pizza!

Jan,what I call chili beans are just canned PINTO  BEANS with seasoning. They are just labled chili beans.Usually found with the canned vegs,.Don`t confuse them with red Kindey  beans.The pintos are so much better than the kidney.beans..Tender skins and creamy inside.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Rosie

False

Janie, your Apple Crisp Pizza looks delicious, so I plan on making one in the near future. Thank you for the recipe!
    False
    Kristine

Thanks Rosie. I have bought pinto beans before when the recipe called for it. The chili recipe i use calls for red kidney beans,  thus the confusion. So 'chili beans' are pintos with seasoning. I will look for them. Want to make Weebill's pizza chili.   (and every other pizza recipe on this thread!!).  Jan.

False

Here is my 2nd Pizza Themed recipe which  I tried tonight, 1/17/14.

Cheddar Apple Pizza

Note:  I also reviewed this recipe as well for my recipe rating and I was pleased with the results!  I did make modifications to this recipe and they've been noted in the review!

Here goes!

Pastry for single-crust pie (9")

I used at least 2 large Granny Smith apples-actually, some were from another recipe which I'd had leftover apple

slices-I thinly sliced the apples

1/2 cup CHEDDAR cheese, shredded

1/4 cup EACH packed brown sugar and granulated sugar

1/2 cup combined chopped pecans & walnuts

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 cup ground nutmeg

2 Tbsp. cold butter OR margarine-I used margarine, cut into small pieces

Prepare pastry  and roll out to fit a 12" pizza pan. Note: I didn't grease the pizza pan, but I DID use my Pie Partner pie shell insert pan on top of the crust and baked 10 minutes at 400o F. to make sure that the crust didn't pull away from the pan. I built up the rim in order to flute the crust-i had to work with the crust carefully in order to keep it pliable and flute the edges!

Arrange the apple slices in a single layer in a circular pattern to completely cover pastry. Sprinkle with cheese. Combine brown sugar, white sugar, nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over the cheese.

Cut butter or margarine into small pieces and top top of pizza. I baked for 30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and filling is bubbly. I left pizza intact as I plan to treat one of my depts. at the local hospital where I volunteer. I put the pizza in the refrigerator. Recipe makes 12 servings.delowenstein:-)P

False

Dawn E. Lowenstein

DH and I will be hosting a small Super Bowl party.  I've been looking for a cold dip that I could serve.  Below is a recipe that DH and I will try later this evening.  If you are interested in seeing what it looks like, there is a picture of this on line.  Wish I knew how to add it to this post.  I will edit this post to give a review after we taste it.  Lori

Pizza by the Scoop (originally posted in the August/September 1999 TOH, by Georgene Robertson of Pikeville, Ky.); 14-16 servings; Prep:10 mins.

Ingredients:

2 pkgs. of cream cheese, 8 oz. ea., softened

1 bottle of chili sauce, 12 oz.

1 pkg. Canadian bacon, 6 oz., chopped

1 sm. onion, chopped

1 sm. green pepper, chopped

3/4 c. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Corn chips

Directions:

Spread cream cheese on an ungreased 12" pizza pan.  Spread with chili sauce.  Sprinkle with Canadian bacon, onion, green pepper, and cheeses.  Serve with corn chips.

Edit:1/19/14

Ok, since it is just DH and myself, there was no way we needed 14-16 servings, so I cut the cream cheese to 1 brick, 6 oz. of chili sauce, 3 oz. of Canadian bacon, 1/2 an onion and 1/2 a green pepper.  Kept the same amount of cheese.  Placed the ingredients in a deep dish pie plate, but a regular one would have probably been just fine.

The ease of putting this recipe together was little to none, done in a flash.  Let it sit several hours, and there is where I noticed a small problem--the chili sauce began to break down. I double checked to make sure it wasn't an expired bottle and it wasn't.  Since it was just DH and myself, I made a note of it and moved on--wouldn't like that in front of my guests.

Next, after sitting on the counter 20 minutes to soften the cream cheese, came the all important taste test.  I used the Fritos Scoops because of the weight of the cream cheese.  Sorry, but to be very honest with you, both DH and myself were big time disappointed.  We sat there and picked away at about half of it trying to figure what it was that we didn't like.  Although I use chili sauce in several recipes, we felt this was what we didn't like in this dish.  It just wasn't doing it, per DH.  

Glad I made it?  Yes.  Would I make it again? No, a least not as the recipe was written.  Maybe I'd change the chili sauce to pizza sauce and the Canadian bacon to pepperoni as it didn't taste anything like a pizza to either of us.

False

Morning!  Here's my Pizza recipe that I made last night. 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/upside-down-pizza-bake

I increased the sausage to 3/4 lb., removed the casings and scramble cooked it, and drained it.  I doubled the amount of the veggies and added some sliced green onion...used red bell pepper.  Used 4-cheese blend and put 1 cup in the casserole and 1/2 cup on top of low-fat baking mix.  Sprinkled 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning on top of veggies. 

This was super easy to make, and I will make it again.  The top crust truly tasted like pizza crust, and it was nice an crunchy.  When cut, it came easily out of the pan...I used a large spatula. 

Thanks for all of the recipes; I think they are all keepers!!!

False

AnnStar

These are some great pizza ideas and I am looking forward to trying many of them!

I strayed quite a bit from this recipe as I thought well, I will add this and forget that. I just had to make lunch a bit faster than a regular pizza.

I had some wonderful Italian bread that I sliced for grilled sandwiches. I used my grill pan(I love the deep grill marks it gives like a panini without a special appliance.
    I put garlic olive oil on the outside of four slices of bread.
    Then I used homemade pizza sauce and a light brushing of bbq sauce over the ham and pineapple, shredded some ham, pepperoni and pineapple.
    I heated the grill pan and layered the ingredients, including some mozzarella and romano cheese.
    What a perfect grilled, gooey grilled cheese.
    The ham and pineapple added a lighter touch to a heavier pizza sandwich and we completely enjoyed it.
    I really like making grilled sandwiches in the grill pan as they make a great presentation.
    Linda

Kickin' Hawaiian Pizza

Kickin' Hawaiian Pizza
     Isn't it about time for a fun new twist on your usual pizza? Pineapple adds pizzazz and honey lends a touch of sweetness to the sauce in this wonderful recipe. Give it a try today! —John Weakland, Springfield, Oregon
    12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients

• 4 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
    • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
    • 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 2 tubes (13.8 ounces each) refrigerated pizza crust
    • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Romano cheese, divided
    • 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
    • 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained

Directions

• For sauce, place the first 10 ingredients in a food processor; cover
    • and process until blended. Transfer to a small saucepan; heat
    • through.
    • Meanwhile, press pizza dough into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in.
    • baking pan; build up edges slightly and seal seam. Bake at 425°
    • for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
    False

I spent yesterday cooking for our family Christmas, which we finally had today (yes...January 19!), so I wanted something quick and easy for our Saturday supper. I chose "Puffed Pizza Casserole" and will definitely make it again! I used my home canned pizza sauce instead of the sauce in the recipe and added mushrooms and black olives. Not only was it delicious, it was the perfect serving size for my husband and me!  Smile

Taste of Home Logo

Puffed Pizza Casserole

Puffed Pizza Casserole
     “My sister gave me this recipe 20 years ago,” recalls Linda Wilkens of Maple Grove, Minnesota. “The hefty, comforting one-dish meal has a fun popover crust…and the pizza flavor makes it a favorite with all ages!”
    2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients

• 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
    • 1/4 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    • 3 tablespoons water
    • 3 teaspoons spaghetti sauce mix
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup 2% milk
    • 2 tablespoons beaten egg
    • 1 teaspoon canola oil
    • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

• In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
    • is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, water and spaghetti
    • sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5
    • minutes. Meanwhile, place flour in a small bowl. Combine the milk,
    • egg and oil; whisk into flour just until blended.
    • Pour meat mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    • Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Pour flour mixture over top.
    • Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    • Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
    • and center is set. Yield: 2 servings.
    False

Sue Gronholz

One of the original 1000 Taste of Home Field Editors and honored to be serving since 1993!

I thought the same of Ann's upside down pizza.  I've set that recipe aside for a Saturday lunch with the grandkids.  I decided on Sausage Pizza Soup, by Beth Sherer from Wisconsin.  Very tasty, everything on hand but used pork sausage instead of turkey.  Very good.    Sorry l haven't mastered the picture part yet.  Janet

False

I know, I know...i'm a couple of days late. Just want to say, thanks Sue and Janie for the heads up on the Apple Crisp Pizza. Had DH's birthday cele. on the weekend, complete with cake. Today is his real birthday and he loves apple pie, so i made tha apple crisp Pizza this afternoon for him (& me too!) This recipe will be made many times in this household, let me tell you..Delish! A little goes a long way tho, so next time i'll make sure there's more than just the 2 of us to eat it. I'll take some to the DDs tomorrow. Jan.

False

I had my recipe picked out and all the ingredients when DH and I decided on the spur of the moment to take a little getaway trip. Well, with last minute packing, etc. I never did get my dish made. But it's never too late, is it? Tonight we had Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole.

I did a few things differently but stuck to all the same ingredients. First, as usual, I halved the recipe and still had some left over. Secondly, I did not use the slow cooker. I put it in a casserole dish and baked it for 30 minutes at 350º. End result was delicious. I didn't have any tube pasta so I used spiral pasta which worked well. This is a very easy recipe to prepare and I'm sure just as easy using the slow cooker. I used the turkey pepperoni and I think the regular would have been better but at least it was good for us - LOL. Really, there wasn't that much difference in the taste.

Here is the recipe and my pictures.

Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole Recipe

A comforting casserole with mass appeal is just what you need when cooking for a crowd. For added convenience, it stays warm in a slow cooker. —Virginia Krites, Cridersville, Ohio
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
    MAKES: 12-14 servings

Ingredients

•   1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
    •  1-1/2 pounds ground beef
    •  1 small onion, chopped
    •   4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    •   2 cans (15 ounces each) pizza sauce
    •   1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    •  1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni

Nutritional Facts

1 cup equals 329 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 885 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
    2. Drain pasta; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beef mixture, cheese, pizza sauce, soup and pepperoni. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Yield: 12-14 servings.
    Originally published as Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p102
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

My family loves pizza so this is like the best challenge ever! I made 3 new recipes:

Chinese Pizza

1 homemade pizza crust

1 C. Hoisin Sauce

1 tsp Garlic

1 tsp grated Ginger

2 C. Mozzarella Cheese

2 C. cooked, diced Chicken

1 can sliced Water Chestnuts

1/4 C. chopped green onions

1 TBSP cilantro

Spread hoisin sauce  mixed with ginger and garlic over crust. Sprinkle cheese evenly over that. Layer chicken, water chestnuts, green onion. Bake in 35 oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle cilantro over the top.

I found this recipe idea on "life made delicious" blog. It was entitled Spicy Chinese Pizza but I changed it so much it barely resembles the original.

Chicken Pesto Pizza

1 homemade pizza crust

1- 6 oz container Basil Pesto Sauce

2 C. Romano Cheese

2 C. grilled, diced chicken

2 Roma Tomatoes, sliced

1/2 small Red Onion, sliced thin

Spread pesto sauce over crust. Sprinkle cheese on top. Arrange chicken, tomatoes, onion on top of that. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until cheese melts.

This was originally a martha stewart recipe entitled Shrimp and Pest Pizza

Chicken Potato Pizza

1 homemade pizza crust

1 C. Alfredo Sauce

1 C. Mozzarella cheese

1 C. Romano cheese

1 tsp Rosemary

1 tsp garlic

2 Potatoes, thinly sliced and baked in the oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes, until tender.

1/4 C. Green Onion, chopped

2 C. cooked, diced chicken

Spread alfredo sauce mixed with rosemary and garlic over pizza crust. Arrange cheese over the top. Add potatoes, green onion and chicken. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until cheese melts.

I don't remember where this came from originally but again, I changed it so much it probably doesn't matter!!!

False