1/27 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

1/27 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge

Last post Feb 26, 2014 9:23 AM by pippin3 . 35 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) 123
  • Re: 1/27 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge

Way to go guys~ only Tues. and in full swing. I think our whole bb loves soup!

Jan, for your Mulligatawny Soup was it sweet at all. I didn't really look at your review (sorry, should have) because I've only had that once and it was a tad sweet for me.

Love everyone's submissions & review, they look healthy too which I like a lot.

Becky, if you try this version of tomato soup you may want to spice it up a bit even though I loved the mildness of it. That might be why dh was willing to try it too.. Not tonight after all, we had pizza instead. Oh, btw, have you made cashew cream before? Nice flavor but a tiny bit sweet but that's why I left out the sugar the original recipe called for. Nice to see you rate by stars too, a nice solid 4. Mine too!

Dawn, I adore pumpkin soup and have several favorites. Yours looks right up there.

So on Sat. I'm going to make one more for hubby, but he'll have to share. Janie, do you remember the pot roast soup? I think it's on your pinterest, that I then copied to mine. Bet your lentil black bean soup will be good!!

Thank-you all, hoping to see even more as soups are a favorite here too.

False

az_jill
    Oh, btw, have you made cashew cream before? Nice flavor but a tiny bit sweet but that's why I left out the sugar the original recipe called for.

Jill, no I haven't - I've seen recipes for it, and it doesn't look too difficult, but I can't say that I've ever seen it in a store. Did you make yours or buy it? Thanks for the advice on the sweetness, too, I do prefer tomato soup more tomato-y and less sweet, just my preference.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

az_jill
    for your Mulligatawny Soup was it sweet at all.

Jill...i'm not too sure how to answer that. I don't like anything  sweet, especially savoury foods, and i certainly didn't notice it in this recipe. I plan on making it again in a couple weeks, freeze some, and see if it freezes well. It should.  DH just walked in. I asked him if he thought the soup was sweet, and he said no, & he really liked it. I did use a tart apple (Golden Delicious). I would not use a sweet one, that might make a difference.

Boy there's sure a lot of yummy sounding recipes here already, and i'm making note of them.   Jan

False

Dawn, yes I made mine and yes it's very easy. Some recipes show that you don't need to soak the raw cashews, but a friend (in the know...lol, ok, it's chefly) highly recommends it for several hours. I love it as a substitute for cream!

Jan, thank-you, I'll go back and look at your review when I get a chance. I think the recipe I had tried had used a ?? not a fruit compote, but some type of fruit concoction, ugh, stupid brain that lent it a little too sweet for me. Thanks for your answer.

False

You're right, Jill. I think soup is everyone's favorite this week. So many good ones already.

Because of all the ice and cold we had a while back, our book club decided to not meet in December but have a regular meeting in January. Since my friend was going to host the luncheon in Dec. and I was to host the meeting in Jan., we joined forces and met at her house for a Taste of Home luncheon that I dreamed up. I thought it would be fun to have a luncheon made up of all TOH recipes.

Well, since it is wintery January, I turned to soups as the center of our lunch. I picked Beef Barley Soup and made it two days early so it could sit and let the flavors mingle. I made a couple of changes to the recipe. I used lean ground beef and added a little thyme to give it a tad more flavor. The soup was awesome and everyone gobbled it down. I made a recipe and a half and came home with just enough for DH to have a bowlful. I can see that this recipe is going to be a permanent fixture in my recipe file. We will be having this again and again.  I highly recommend it.

Here is the recipe and a picture I snapped before all the soup was gone.

Beef Barley Soup Recipe

This hearty barley soup is a favorite menu item in our house throughout the year. Everyone savors the flavor. —Elizabeth Kendall, Carolina Beach, North Carolina
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
    MAKES: 9 servings

Ingredients

•  1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    •   1 tablespoon canola oil
    •   3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
    •   2 cups water
    •   1/3 cup medium pearl barley
    •   1 teaspoon salt
    •   1/8 teaspoon pepper
    •  1 cup chopped carrots
    •  1/2 cup chopped celery
    •  1/4 cup chopped onion
    •   3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    •   1 cup frozen peas

Savings in north richland hills, TX 76180  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 cup) equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
    2. Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
    Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p25.
    This is delicious. Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Now I am convinced that I must make a soup with some meat in it.   I The only meat that I play with in soups is either bacon or Kielbasa and ham if its on hand.

I need to  branch out and try some beef. I have seen so many great looking hamburger soups.  

Joan, that soup is so inviting. Thanks for sharing the recipe and photo.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Lots of good-sounding soups here!  The one I made today is a Taste of Home recipe that I saw on facebook a week or two ago.  It's called Corn soup with Pico de Gallo.  I didn't grill my own corn but used some frozen corn, used jalapeno insted of serrano pepper, and skipped the baked tortilla strips.  We were just going to use some tortilla chips but then forgot, didn't really need them anyway.  The soup had a really good taste but I did something wrong.  It had a grayish color to it.  I'm sure it was my fault, something that I did.  It happened after I stirred in the flour and then added the broth.  The color was really unappetizing, but the taste was sure good.  I'll probably make this again sometime but take extra care when stirring in the flour and then adding the broth.  Sorry, I don't know why the picture didn't show but here's the link.

carole

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/corn-soup-with-pico-de-gallo?keycode=ZFB0114SOD

Corn Soup with Pico de Gallo

My son loves the way the kitchen smells when this soup is cooking. He comes into the kitchen and fans the aroma into his face and I know he is happy. —Elaine Sweet of Dallas, Texas

6 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min.

Ingredients

3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips

4 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed

1/2 teaspoon canola oil

1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika

1 medium red onion, chopped

1 bacon strip, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 cup fat-free milk

1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro

1/4 cup lime juice

PICO DE GALLO:

2 plum tomatoes, chopped

1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped

1 small serrano pepper, seeded and chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray;

bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.

Rub corn with canola oil; sprinkle with seasonings. Moisten a paper

towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the

grill rack.

Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until

tender, turning frequently. Cool slightly; cut corn from cobs and

set aside.

In a large saucepan, saute onion and bacon for 5 minutes; add garlic,

cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add

broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until

thickened. Add corn, milk, chilies, cumin and oregano; heat through.

Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice.

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Thanks for the tip on the cashew cream, Jill.

-Dawn/Becky...lol, I can't keep track of all the names either! Big Smile

False

Becky

becky66
    -Dawn/Becky...lol

Oops, lol. Sometimes I put up 2 screens so I don't do that, now I know why.

Sure wish this week was longer, I want to try an French or creamy onion soup, but NEED to make a meat one for hubby. Oh, he did really enjoy the tomato soup too, even though he said it would never be a favorite. Was just surprised that he even tried it.

Joan, that sure sounds yummy, love beef & barley combination. Try it with the steak sometime too, it good! But bet dh would like the ground beef better also and I like it for the ease. Nice pic!

Carole, bet your corn soup was delish too, and the pico dallo gave it a nice flavor punch.

Great week so far, love the different directions this went.

False

Hearty Lentil & Black Bean Soup with Smoked Paprika *

This soup is  very stew like. Its very tasty and extremely satisfying.  Its very heart friendly and at the same time its very cost effective. I had everything within arm reach all I had to purchase was the lentils.

The original recipe calls for (1) cup. I used the whole bag as I wanted to get several nice meals out of it. I also added some chopped carrots simply because I just cannot make a soup without them. They not only add color they add some extra vitamins  and they keep the calorie count down. Much better that adding some  potatoes or meat.

This is a fairly drab looking so the carrots added a nice Pop * I did not do much tweaking as this is a pretty basic soup. Everything was right on. Because I did use the whole bag I did have to add more liquid.  So instead of adding more broth I added some White wine and a can of Progresso Tomato Basil soup. I also simmered it for quite sometime. This is a perfect stick to the tummy, soup that is a great choice for this time of the year. This would have no problem if served as a dinner item. We welcomed this soup again on day 2. And in fact may have enjoyed it even more as the taste notched up another notch.

Thank you Cooking Canuck for sharing the recipe.

Ingredients used in this recipe

Olive Oil, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Smoked Paprika, Bay leaves, ( I used Thyme) Diced Tomatoes ,Dried Lentils, Chicken or Vegetable Broth, Water, Black Beans, Parsley ( Cilantro ) Salt and Pepper to taste ( used pepper only)

I added some chopped carrots and a can of Tomato Basil soup.

* Looks like I did do some tweaking after all.  Janie

The link for further directions

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/487444359640753023/

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

We made http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-soup - it was delicious and perfect for the below zero temps! Thanks for the challenge! Big Smile

False

Nice Janie, love the healthy ones!

You too omnijen, dh would love a cheeseburger soup, me too!

Thanks all!

Still trying to work one more in maybe tomorrow.

False

Just took another peek in...wow, we really have a great variety. Janie, I was so curious to see what the black bean and lentil soup would turn out like, and it sounds great. I'll bet the tomato soup addition was a great touch.

omnijen, that cheeseburger soup is a winner, I have made that many times over the years. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

False

Becky

I made the Rich French Onion Soup.  My French bread went bad, so instead of topping it with the bread, I just dumped in noodles.  My husband said he liked it even better that way!  The soup was easy to make and really delicious.  It's the first time I've ever made French onion soup, so I thought it was a success.  Perfect for the cold weather we've been having!

False

Yummy idea!  I once used those mini-cheese tortelli that I found at an Italian market in the North End of Boston.

False

AnnStar