2/3 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

2/3 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge!

Last post Feb 10, 2014 11:03 AM by MarineMom_texas . 40 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (41 items) 123
  • Re: 2/3 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge!

hmmm...I have the quick cooking 2000 annual...seems like the mushroom pork tenderloin recipe should have been in there.

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I made this for lunch and it was really good.  Would definitely make it again!

I didn't make the dressing, I used light Raspberry Dressing in a bottle that I love.

Nancy

Greens and Mushrooms with Raspberry Dressing

Greens and Mushrooms with Raspberry Dressing
    With a glistening red dressing and light flavor, this crisp salad is perfect for the holidays. It's a must-have on our Christmastime menus.
    6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup cranberry juice
    • 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
    • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 3 tablespoons white vinegar
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 8 to 10 cups torn mixed salad greens
    • 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

Directions

• For dressing, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first
    • six ingredients; shake well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1
    • hour.
    • Just before serving, combine the salad greens and mushrooms in a
    • large bowl. Shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat.
    • Yield: 6-8 servings.
    Nutritional Facts:1 serving (1 each) equals 101 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

I think the 2000 recipes are in the 2001 annual but I might be wrong. I think either the creamy onion or cream of celery would work fine for that recipe.

I am also going to try the spinach mushroom sauté but I didn't want to steal anybody's recipe idea (have done it before but since I have both spinach and asparagus I need to use, will try both of them....but on different days.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

I am back tonight with my recipe. I chose Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken. This was another winner. I followed the recipe but did make a few changes. The biggest change was to saute the chicken breast on the stove instead of braving 25º with wind to grill the chicken outside. We do grill year round but I drew the line tonight. It was delicious. Again, I prepared only 2 chicken breasts for the two of us although we split one and saved one for tomorrow. There are two main steps in preparing this chicken but both are easy. The first step is to saute the spinach, mushrooms, onion, and pecans. (I'm thinking some crisp crushed bacon would be good here). Here is my photo:

Another change was to chop some yellow onion instead of green onions since I already had one on hand.  I  used Montreal Steak Seasoning because I already had some and it was delicious.  And one last change - I already had slices of pepper jack cheese on hand so used that. Even with all those changes, this dish is outstanding.

After sauteing the veggies, I removed them and cooked the chicken. To serve, I placed a cheese slice on top of the chicken and when it had melted slightly, I added the cooked veggies on top. Oh, my word. Talk about good. We will definitely have this again.

Here is the recipe and my photo.

Spinach and Mushroom Smothered  Chicken Recipe
    Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken Recipe photo by Taste of Home

Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken Recipe

Chicken breasts stay nice and moist with a mushroom and spinach topping tucked under a blanket of melted cheese. It's extra special to serve but is not tricky to make. —Katrina Wagner, Grain Valley, Missouri
    TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
    MAKES: 4 servings

Ingredients

•   3 cups fresh baby spinach
    •   1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    •   3 green onions, sliced
    •   2 tablespoons chopped pecans
    •   1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    •  4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
    •  1/2 teaspoon rotisserie chicken seasoning
    •   2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved

Nutritional Facts

1 chicken breast half equals 203 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Directions

1. In a large skillet, saute the spinach, mushrooms, onions and pecans in oil until mushrooms are tender. Set aside and keep warm.
    2. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
    3. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
    4. Top with cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. To serve, top each chicken breast with reserved spinach mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
    Originally published as Spinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken in Healthy Cooking
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Joan, I have made the spinach and mushroom smothered chicken before and loved it. I also made the spinach and mushroom sauté yesterday and enjoyed that as well. Think I am going to have leftovers of the cowboy meatloaf and potato casserole for lunch and will make up the one I am going to try then. Jill, I have also had meatball stroganoff before but think it may have come from the blog dreaming of poultry.

I have been finding a lot of promising recipes while digging my way through the mushroom recipes.

So far have come up with a list of several to try:

Garlicky Green Beans with Mushrooms (Light and Tasty  Aug/Sept 2004

Turkey with Mushroom Sauce Quick Cooking Mar/Apr 2000

Mushroom Bean Medley Quick Cooking Nov/Dec 2005

Grilled Steak and Mushroom Salad Country Woman July/Aug 2006

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Gratefulservant--thanks for clearing up the annual book question. I guess i never noticed, but they all do say 'from the past year'. I don't know why i didn't know that?!? I ended up using the cream of onion soup and it's cooking!
    False

-Will Rogers

My son and I stared battling a stomach bug Tuesday.  He is better, I however, don't seem to be bouncing back so quickly. 

In a effort to produce a speedy recovery I concocted a chicken soup recipe with ingredients I had on hand.  The following is what I came up with and it turned out to be one of the best chicken soups I have ever prepared.  My son, whom is 9, loved it and this will be the second day my husband has taken a thermos full with him to work for lunch.

Chicken Soup

2 -3 boneless chicken breast, cut up into bite size pieces

2 cubes chicken bullion

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon roasted garlic, finely chopped

1 cup 5-minute rice, uncooked

6-8 large brussels sprouts, sliced thin

1 cup mushrooms, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup carrots, sliced thin

Salt and pepper to taste

Place pieces of chicken breast, chicken bullion, onion powder, roasted garlic, salt and pepper in a stock pot.  Cover with about 3 quarts water.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until chicken is done. 

Reduce heat to simmer and and add remaining ingredients.  Simmer until rice is tender. 

Note:  Rice will take longer to get tender, about 20 minutes. 

Hope you enjoy this recipe.  It's different and delicious!

False

Dana

Www.southerngalscook.com

httpwww-candaceandkidssoapcompany-comclick523

This is the one I tried. It is easy, quick and delicious. A definite keeper here. Love asparagus and mushrooms and I think leftovers would be great in an omelet. Just saying....the asparagus is lovely and crisp tender. Only thing I changed was not on purpose. I only had about 3/4 t. ground ginger. I did have some fresh ginger, but wasn't sure how much to use. This is really good just the way it is.

Wanted to thank Sue for doing this topic. As I mentioned, I am finding a lot of good mushroom recipes that I didn't know about.

I think I will make this one maybe since I have asparagus I need to use.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/asparagus-with-mushrooms

• 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
    • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
    • 2 tablespoons canola oil
    • 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Nutritional Facts

3/4 cup equals 92 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Directions

1. In a large skillet, saute asparagus and ginger in oil for 2-3 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add the mushrooms, salt, sugar and pepper. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
    Originally published as Asparagus with Mushrooms in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p23

Nutritional Facts

3/4 cup equals 92 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Dana, feel better soon!

False

I made the Mushroom Pork Tenderloin, a so-easy and so good slow cooker meal. If it wasn't for the mushroom challenge, and Gratefulservant who mentioned this recipe, i probably would never have made it. The only two ways i ever cook a pork roast is in the crockpot for pulled pork or in the oven roasted with potatoes, carrots and onions, so this was really something different for us. I followed the recipe almost exactly--i used cream of onion instead of cream of mushroom soup (didn't have that) and used about a 2lb pork loin instead of a tenderloin, and i did brown the roast first. The meat was so moist and the gravy delicious over mashed potatoes. We both rated it Excellent!

oh...almost forgot. There weren't a whole lot of mushrooms on the golden mushroom soup so i did add more mushrooms that i had frozen. Mushroom Pork Tenderloin Recipe Read Reviews (21) "This moist pork tenderloin in a savory gravy is the best you'll ever taste," promises Donna Hughes of Rochester, New Hampshire. Prepared with canned soups, it couldn't be easier to assemble. Get a new recipe in your inbox each day with the FREE Recipe of the Day Newsletter > Add to Recipe Box Print Email a Friend TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 4 hours MAKES: 6 servings Ingredients 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each) 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted Hot mashed potatoes, optional Savings in Sterling Heights, MI 48312 Change Zip My Savings On Grocery List Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 189 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,153 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein. Directions Place pork in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine soups; stir until smooth. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings. Originally published as Mushroom Pork Tenderloin in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p45

well that certainly didn't come out very nice. Here's the link.....http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mushroom-pork-tenderloin
    False

-Will Rogers

Carole, you make this pork recipe sound so good, I just know I'm going to try it here very soon.  I did look at it this morning when I was wondering what to make for supper tonight but I have no pork tenderloin in the freezer.  I do have pork chops or a pork loin roast tho'.

Tasty

False
    Tasty--we really did like it and will finish it up on Saturday. I have never bought a pork tenderloin. When the loins are on sale i cut them into chops and smaller roasts. I bet this would even be better with a bone-in roast or even bone-in chops.
    False

-Will Rogers

I only buy tenderloins when on BOGO and I only use one for this recipe, but I have seen reviews that say it is also good with pork chops or a pork roast. I need to try it with chops.

Glad you enjoyed it!

False

Yum, chicken, pork tenderloin (Sherry, that when we buy ours, bogo), sauté's and really yummy soup...lol.

Will definitely try the pork tenderloin one,, hopefully sooner than later.

For mine I kind of goofed up again. If I had made either recipe separately they would have been good. The one from taste of home is similar to one I've made before only with spinach. (been eating a ton of kale lately)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/kale-with-portobellos

But I wanted to add a twist to it and combined it with an allrecipe recipe adding in pesto spaghetti squash. (but also had kale & mushrooms, but not as many plus no beans)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pesto-Spaghetti-Squash/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

It was just too much stuff! But separately and not adding quite so many extra ingredients to the spaghetti squash one, would have worked good. We'll see, I'll try both again one of these days as it's so healthy!

But we did both liked it, just didn't love it enough to make again..together.

Carole, that's so cute about the Will Rogers quote!

Thanks all, great experiments!

False

Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup

My daughter-in-law, a gourmet cook, served this soup as the first course for Thanksgiving dinner.  She'd gotten the recipe from her mom and graciously shared it with me.  Now I'm happy to pass it along to Reminisce readers.--Anne Kulick, Phillipsburg, N.J.

4-6 servings, Prep/Total Time: 30 mins.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup chopped onion (I used 1/2 cup)

2 T. butter

3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I used baby portabella)

6 T. all-purpose flour

2 cans, 14 1/2 ounces each, chicken broth (I used a 32oz.  carton, unsalted broth)

1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream (I used 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 almond milk-original, unsweetened)

1/2 t. salt    1/4 t. pepper    I also added a pinch of minced garlic flakes

Directions:

In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.  Add mushrooms and sauté until tender.  Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mins or until thicken.  Reduce heat.  Stir in the cream, salt and pepper.  Simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins, stirring often. 

REVIEW:  Other than a Hungarian Sour Mushroom Soup my Grandmother made strictly for our Christmas Eve dinner, I basically grew up with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup.  Trying to watch our sodium in take, DH encouraged me to give this recipe a try.  Well let me tell you, I'm so glad I did!  This wonderfully delicious soup is more than I expected.  It is so smooth tasting, like velvet, it just slides down so easily.  I was worried at first because my soup is darker than Campbell's.  Not sure, but thinking this might be because I used portabellas instead of white mushrooms and/or it has a smaller amount of cream/milk.  One taste however, all my worries were banished.--I was happy with the results and this would be a keeper.  DH said we hit the jackpot with this recipe and I couldn't agree more! 

Lori

False

I will have to try this Lori! I have bought the new(ish) organic Portobello mushroom soup that is actually really good, but you can't beat homemade.

LORI,,,,,can you share you Hungarian Sour mushroom soup recipe? I've made one before but your sounds very authentic. Oh rats, when I was looking up maybe a recipe you had already shared I saw where your Grandmother wouldn't write down the recipe before she passed. How very sad for all the recipes lost, and of course for your grandma even more so.

Thanks for your review,,,, and really everyone's. Forgot to mention the yummy salad recipe too.

False