2/10 ~ Cooks Corner 9 x 13 Challenge! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

2/10 ~ Cooks Corner 9 x 13 Challenge!

Last post Feb 18, 2014 11:31 AM by gommyof5 . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Re: 2/10 ~ Cooks Corner 9 x 13 Challenge!

OMG your poor hubby! Here in Eastern TN, we had about 4 inches. Luckily I don't have to worry much about it. If it has snowed, the only people who come here are my family from up the street. Mail goes into the box at the street. And unless it is an emergency, I can't go out. I just read that we might end up with more nasty weather tomorrow night. My son is here, and my DGS is spending the night. Now to see if I can find that dessert recipe.

False

This is another of my recipes. Copy and paste to the browser.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/community/tastes-like-almond-joy-bar-dessert

False

I would LOVE to take a look at your tastes like almond joy bar dessert, but I don't get anything when I key in the information provided. HELP!!!

Toni

Gommy of 5 (and "pending")

False

One of our favorites is the COCONUT CREAM DESSERT from the TOH recipes. It's quick, easy and ooohhhhh so good!!!

Toni

False

gommyof5

I would LOVE to take a look at your tastes like almond joy bar dessert, but I don't get anything when I key in the information provided. HELP!!!

Toni

Here is a link:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/community/tastes-like-almond-joy-bar-dessert

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Sorry about the link. I tried it before I posted it, and it worked for me. Thank you Toni for helping me out. That dessert is one that I am going to try next. I want to try it without the crumbs, and using some glazed donuts as a base. When I was growing up, there was a bakery in the same plaza where my Mother worked, and she would bring home these Long Johns that had a coconut filling with vanilla icing and toasted coconut on top. They were so good that we almost had fist fights over the last one. It is difficult for me to knead dough, so unless I am able to make a dough in my bread machine I don't try it.

False

Good Saturday morning, everyone. I did the challenge this week but saved it for a Saturday morning breakfast. We do like our breakfast. This 13x9-inch casserole is absolutely delicious. But, because it is just the two of us, I did halve the recipe. It is such an easy recipe and I love making it the night before so the next morning, all you have to do is pop it in the oven. I followed the recipe exactly with no substitutions (but very slight changes). I was a little worried because there were no seasonings but I didn't need to worry. This is delicious. I did use the little squares of frozen potatoes instead of the shredded and liked it very much. I happened to have some on hand from another recipe and decided to use it. Not really much of a change. Also, I was generous with the cheese as we like everything cheesy. For the sausage, I used Jimmy Dean low fat  (12 oz.) sausage. All I can say is this is definitely a five star recipe. Here is the recipe and my photos that I took just a bit earlier. I hope you try it because I think you will like it.

Hearty Breakfast Egg Bake Recipe
    Hearty Breakfast Egg Bake Recipe photo by Taste of Home

Hearty Breakfast Egg Bake Recipe

“I always fix this casserole ahead when overnight guests are visiting, so I have more time to spend with them. Then, I simply add some toast or biscuits and fresh fruit for a complete meal that everyone loves. It also reheats well.” Pamela Norris - Fenton, Missouri
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
    MAKES: 8 servings

Ingredients

•  1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
    •   3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
    •  2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    •  8 eggs, lightly beaten
    •   1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    •   3/4 cup evaporated milk

Savings in north richland hills, TX 76180  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 piece equals 427 calories, 32 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 281 mg cholesterol, 887 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.

Directions

1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with hash browns and cheese.
    2. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
    Originally published as Hearty Breakfast Egg Bake in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008, p48
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I almost always make a brunch on Sunday, so I decided that this challenge would be a good reason to try some new breakfast recipes. I chose Eggs Benedict Casserole and Peaches and Cream French Toast. Since it's just my husband and me, I did cut the recipes in half. I followed the Eggs Benedict recipe as printed and wouldn't change a thing! It was delicious! As for the Peaches and Cream French Toast, after reading some of the reviews that said it was bland, not very sweet, etc., I did change the way the ingredients were layered in the pan. I started with half the bread cubes, followed by half the peaches, the cream cheese, the remaining bread cubes and remaining peaches. I drizzled the brown sugar/butter mixture over the top and finished by pouring the egg mixture over all. We thought the french toast had a delicious caramel flavor to it and I will definitely make it this way again. My husband added some maple syrup to his, but I thought it was sweet enough without. Despite the fact that we enjoyed both recipes, the next time I make a french toast bake, I will make a quiche or some other egg dish that does not contain bread...our breakfast was a bit on the heavy side and VERY filling! lol

Taste of Home Logo

Eggs Benedict Casserole

Eggs Benedict Casserole
     Here’s a casserole as tasty as Eggs Benedict, but without the hassle. Simply assemble the ingredients ahead, and bake it the next morning for an elegant breakfast or brunch.—Sandie Heindel, Liberty, MO
    12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.

Ingredients

• 12 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
    • 6 English muffins, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
    • 8 eggs
    • 2 cups 2% milk
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    • HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
    • 4 egg yolks
    • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    • 1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions

• Place half of the Canadian bacon in a greased 3-qt. or 13x9-in.
    • baking dish; top with English muffins and remaining bacon. In a
    • large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and onion powder; pour over top.
    • Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
    • Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while
    • oven heats. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake, covered, 35 minutes.
    • Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near
    • the center comes out clean.
    • In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, whisk
    • egg yolks, cream, lemon juice and mustard until blended; cook until

2 of 2

Eggs Benedict Casserole (continued)

Directions (continued)

• mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and temperature
    • reaches 160°, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to very low. Very
    • slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Serve
    • immediately with casserole. Yield: 12 servings (1-2/3 cups sauce).
    Nutritional Facts: 1 piece with about 2 tablespoons sauce equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 256 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
    Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
    Taste of Home Logo

Peaches & Cream French Toast

Peaches & Cream French Toast
     Wake up your sleepyheads with the wonderfully warm aroma of peaches and brown sugar in this delectable breakfast bake. Susan Westerfield - Albuquerque, NM
    12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.

Ingredients

• 1 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
    • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
    • 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
    • 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old French bread, cubed
    • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
    • 12 eggs
    • 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

• In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup.
    • Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; pour into a
    • greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
    • Arrange peaches in dish. Place half of the bread cubes over peaches.
    • Layer with cream cheese and remaining bread. Place the eggs, cream
    • and vanilla in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour over
    • top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    • Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
    • uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted
    • near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
    Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 470 calories, 23 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 267 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium,

2 of 2

Peaches & Cream French Toast (continued)

Nutritional Facts: 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
    False

Sue Gronholz

One of the original 1000 Taste of Home Field Editors and honored to be serving since 1993!

Made this for dinner this evening since I had the leftover chicken sitting in the refrigerator after roasting a chicken the other day.

Chicken Enchiladas, by Karen Bourne of Magrath, Alberta, Canada, TOH, Aug/Sept 2003, page 16.

2 T. butter

1/4 c. flour

2 1/2 c. chicken broth

1 t. dried coriander

1 4oz. can of chopped green chilies, divided

2 c. cubed cooked chicken

1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

8 flour tortillas, 7 to 8 inches

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan.  Stir in flour until smooth.  Gradually add broth.  Bring to a boil--cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in coriander and 1/2 of the chilies. 

In a bowl, combine chicken, cheese , and remaining green chilies.

Spoon 1/3 c. chicken mixture onto each tortilla--roll up.  Place seam side down in an ungreased 13X9 baking dish.  Pour sauce over enchiladas.  Sprinkle w/ cheddar cheese.  Bake uncovered at 375* for 15--18 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.  Serves 4.

Review--Made as is except I left out the coriander.  Did not put the cheese on until the last 5 minutes or it would have melted completely away.  Fast and easy to put together, but DH and I felt they were bland.  We added some salsa on top and ate them, but sorry, nothing to write home about.  I won't bother making again.

Lori

False

Thanks!! I make almond joy candy. cookies, muffins, cake--love anything almond joy or mounds!!

Toni

False
    Growing up my mom's best entertaining / cooking tool was her trusty 9x13s!! Being a working executive who also loved to cook and entertain her 9x13s and freezer were well used. She frequently made breakfast casseroles, Italian and Mexican dishes and cake/bar/brownie desserts to die for. She also used them for quick week night meals. Allowing her to assemble in the morning and simply bake in the evening. The simple addition of garlic bread or vegetable/salad turned meals into a full event. ---- My new favorite ToH 9x13 is the STRAWBERRY JAM BARS. Not only does it start with a cake mix making assembly very quick but the taste is wonderful! Rich and slightly crunchy with the unusual addition of crushed corn flakes. I think the past month I have made it 6 times! ---- This challenge will have me looking for new "favorites" ----- Julie in Maryland
    False

Those long johns would get my vote! Let us know how your dessert comes out!!

Toni

False