PCH Kitchen March 2014 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Kitchen March 2014

Last post Mar 31, 2014 5:33 PM by Tomcatlover . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • PCH Kitchen March 2014

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.
    We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False
  • Re: PCH Kitchen March 2014

oh goodness where is the year flying to already? Someone catch it on the East side before it is gone, gosh... Nancy I can only imagine you and your new Acer, trying to figure it out, I would have to walk away for a while before I throw it out the window, hehe. Glad you are able to figure it out some at a time at least. We are gonna hit a heat wave today it seems, 74 for the high! I am ready for it but it won't last they say. Not sure what the weekend will be, always something to do though. Hope everyone enjoys a warmer day also maybe. Take care, Hugs, Connie

False

Just checking in. I wore myself out last night grocery shopping. Wal-Mart was busy, and of course everything I needed was on the top shelf. I didn't take my wheelchair, and used the motor cart. I was on  time schedule, since DD had to get to work early. She really should have stayed home because she has a severe UTI. The last time she had a bad one, she spent a few days in the hospital with sepsis. But she is determined to get her management position in a few weeks. Today Ian my Granddaughter's 8th Birthday. That was one reason I wanted to go to the store so bad, to get her a card. I put $5 in it since the rest of her gifts won't be here until this week. I got home and put up my groceries and made me a big salad with grilled chicken on it. Tonight it will be leftover meatloaf with a baked sweet potato and another salad. I need to go and get started. Hugs.

False

Cold here again. We were at -3 degrees last night, but will make it to 22 today. They predicted almost a foot of snow here for the weekend, but our pastors prayed over the storm, and we didn't get snow! There was a bit of ice mixed with snow, but not much.

Making another lemon blueberry bread in the crock pot (turns out so good, and don't have to use the money for the oven!). I'll have one of my other crock pots with a meatball dinner in it, at the same time. It's nice to have dinner ready when we are.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Hi Gals, Connie, thanks for opening March Kitchen.

Nancy, I am still trying to learn my Kindle Fire computer tablet. Sometimes I get in a page and don't know how to get out. Frustrating trying to learn something new. Hope it gets easier for you.

Rainy week here.

Take care everyone and stay warm.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Derry, it will get easier. I just got my third Kindle, and I love it. For some reason I just took to this one easier than I have other new devices. I have had my laptop computer for years, and just recently learned how to do .more than c and p with the limited Word software that came pre-installed. Things are fine here. DGD's gifts arrived, and she was sick today. I'm not sure about a party yet. My DS left this morning to go spend a couple of weeks with his father. I hope he comes back. I get flashbacks about when he was nine and I didn't get to see him for almost ten years. Of course this time he is old enough to make his own decisions. Plus he has a girlfriend here. This week is my DD's last week of working part time. She will probably have more hours than she'll know what to do with. I guess I need to get to the kitchen and start dinner. Or at least see what I can make for me since the chicken isn't thawed. Hugs.

False

Temperatures went up in the 70's for 2 days earlier this week, then only 40 degrees on Wed., now it is in the 60's again. The temperatures are a "roller coaster", but spring is on it's way!

Made a credit card/card wallet to go in purse (found pattern on Pinterest), and it uses interfacing and simple stitching and ironing- haven't used interfacing in 20 years- worked great. It is small, but has slots for 12 cards. I don't have credit cards, but I have gift cards and many store cards that make a wallet so heavy. I"m trying to get my purse to weigh less, so this was great.

Mary

False

Good day ladies, really is here today. The wind finely died down and its in the low 70's. Clowdy but the sun peeks out from time to time. Never know what we are going to have here. Went to low 80's one day and then dropped down to 30º that night. Never know how to dress until you check the weather for that day. LOL

Mary so you are not alone with "roller coaster weather"!!

*giggle*. There is times its not a laughing matter. Agree? I can take the cold but not the wind with it and for sure not any rain with it. Had to go out last week and thought we would never get home with me still breathing. LOL...COPD and that kind of weather just does not mix. *sigh*..................your credit card/wallet sounds like a great idea Mary. Anyway to lighten our purses is good. I carry a small one that will fit in my walker with the oxygen tank but have that little purse still weighing way more than it should and would love to be able to carry more things in it still. LOL

Debbie read on the board where your daughters car caught on fire at the shop. So happy it was there and not with her on the road.!!! Glad that the mechanic was not hurt as well. She does have a guardian angel from the sound of your post. :>) ...............you did make me feel better when you comented about your laptop and it taking you awhile to be able to do more than c&p. I still can't do that. Not sure I can on this one, have not even got on it long enough to find out. LOL.......for some reason I am just so darn nervous anymore, just try not to do any thing that gets the old hands with the jitters. LOL...........am I getting old? heck no. LOL

Deery know just how you mean about getting onto a page on these putters and not knowing how to get out. LOL That is happening to me on my phone as well. *giggle* I came on the board one time with my Acer and after finely getting off have not even tried it again. LOL This PC knows what I want, or can at least get to it sooner or later. *grin* How is the weather there treating you. Have you been able to get out on the deck for a "sunshine treat" lately?

Connie, did you and Kerry enjoy any of the Mardi Gras festivities this year? remember the year you sent us all some pretty beads. LOL You did keep your shirt on if you went . ****rip roaring giggle*** Know you better than than sweet friend. :>) I have been checking the cam at the one in N.O. several times a day but still missed the parade there..............I had just gotten off the Austin, Tex cam about a hour before there was a drunk trying to out run the police and plowed through a baracade and ended up killing 2 and injuring 23 others. 2 still in critical condition now. They had just cleared the people from the streets and back on the sidewalks because of the fire lanes or it would have been way , way worse. Just glad that I had gotten off that cam. Would sure  not like to see such a thing. Oh there was a music festival there this week is why there had been streets closed down and had folks to clear out of the steets earlier.

Do hope that each and every one of our MIA's are just busy and not ill. Know how hard it is sometimes just to get on here....................at any rate, sending "HELLO'S" to all and wishing you a great weekend.................Have my cornbeef brisket thawing out for St.Pete's Day so wish you all a great "wearing of the green" day , monday.

hugs, nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I am so sorry about being absent and posting about my DD and not checking in here too. I accidentally deleted about 180 recipes from my Kindle, and have spent days tracking them down. I only have about 3 or 4 still to track down. I think that 1 is either a lasagna recipe that is photographed as it was being taken out of an oven. One is a black bean and corn salad or salsa, which I have a lot of recipes for, so I can really just delete it. But as my oldest daughter says I am to obsessive to do that. The last one looks like a shredded meat soft taco. It looks to good to not track it down. Our weather has been just like everyone else has experienced. Hot one day, and snow the next. I just hope our home situation straightens out soon. We have a friend and her kids staying with us, and I can barely get to the bathroom let alone get to the kitchen to get something to eat. I miss being here by myself and cooking what I want to eat. Well., I'm back to the culinary trenches. I will not give up without finding the casserole dish at least. Hugs to all.

False

Getting a bit warmer again. It might reach 60 today. Last night was below freezing, but tonight may only be in the upper 30's. There was wind on Sunday, but it would have been o.k. with cold, but the wind made it hard to be out- I don't like the wind either, Nancy.

I sewed a lining for a crochet purse I'm working on, and the pattern used one piece of fabric, but you sew seams that make a flat bottom (if you want) and side seams. I added some pockets myself.

I made a bone-in turkey breast last week, and am making the broth for a soup today, using the carcass. It is so good to use up good nutrients still left in the bones, instead of just throwing it away. A crock pot is the best for making chicken or turkey broth from the bones. A slow cooking, 8-12 hours, is wonderful for extracting the "good stuff" we want. I'll make a turkey & rice soup in a few days. Buying the turkey might be expensive at once, but when you can get 2-3 meals out of it, it sure is worth it!

Mary

False

It is funny Mary that you mentioned the Turkey Breast because I took a Turkey out of our freezer over the weekend to cook one day this week. I might take off the legs and thighs to cook separately for pulled Turkey sandwiches. Then I can add the broth from them along with the bones from the breast and make a Turkey soup. That way I can use the Crockpot for all three. It sounds like a plan to me. My DD got her Jeep the other day. It is a Jeep Cherokee Laredo, and is bright red. So far she likes it. I finally finished all of the recipes. I traced the casserole picture to a link of pictures of a Chilaquiles Casserole, but couldn't find the right recipe, so I picked one that might have looked like it with some adjustments. I deleted the bean salad picture, and made up a recipe for the Tacos. The recipe pictures are just for me to see if I might like to make it, so they won't be shared with the recipe if I decide to post it sometime. Well it's back to reading for me. Keep warm, and hugs.

False

Happy St. Patty's day, or rather what's left of it. We had the traditional corn beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots and also biscuits which I would have eliminated if it had been just the two of us but Duane invited the lady that hauls him to two senior centers to eat with us after she brought him home. Plenty of everything so was glad to have her. She's from Fla. originally so has a cute little southern accent. With the leftovers I'll make reuban soup tomorrow.

According to the weather man this is the third wettest March on record and if it continues the way it's been going we'll beat the record. Sun. it came down in buckets which is unusual around here. Never pours, just drizzles. I call it the Seattle mist. On Fri. I went to the grocery store for about 15 minutes and needed my umbrella to go in. By the time I came out the sun was shining. Of course a little later it was pouring again.

My DS arrived in Afganistan last week....private contractor, no more military.....and will be there a year providing the government doesn't kick all the Americans out if they can't have their way about demands. He flies drones. Went because of the money but I'm not a happy camper. But he didn't ask my permission!   lol

Take care.

False

Hi everyone. What is with the weather this year? We will be up to the 70s one day this week, and then snow showers one day next week. I hope that doesn't happen, but like Liz's son, Mother Nature doesn't consult with me. I shouldn't have said that. I do know how you feel about that. When my oldest DS was in the Army, he volunteered for a TOD in Bosnia, and one in Honduras. Just checking in, so will leave hugs.

False

Just dropping by for a bit of news. My DD graduated today from her management classes, and she now has 5 College credits towards a business management or Human Resources degree. I know she has a long way to go, but I am very proud of her. Hugs.

False

Hi Gals, time just keeps flying too fast for me to keep up. Daughter brought St. Pat's meal over for me Monday. Corned Beef and Cabbage, potatoes and carrots. And green pudding cake. Plus she got me a loaf of Irish Soda Bread when she got my groceries. :)  Had yearly  Dr appointment on Tues to get all my yearly labs done. Had to get ear wax cleaned out also.  Now I will need hearing test before wax builds up again. Appointment list is building up and DD can not take me to all of them. Weather remains mild. Some day rain and some days sun. With sun the nights get down in the 30 temps. 50s during day. Have not been outside yet to read. But it will happen one of these days.

Debbie, congratulations to your DD on getting college credits.

Enjoyed reading the posts. Debbie, your purse sounds nice. What color is it. I like the idea of making the card holder for purse. and also putting pockets in purse you are making.

Nancy, glad you could check in. I have not learned anything more on the kindle. Do some searches on it and play some games. I charged it one night and forgot to check it when I got up during night. Battery Dr said not to overcharge. I try to check everyday if it needs charged. It seems to decrease charge during night when turned off and get down to 0. It says to charge when it gets down around 29. It is faster then my computer for searches but not easy for posting. Small keyboard is too small for me to work very well.

Hi Liz, we see each other on fb.  Missing Connie. Have not heard much from her.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1