3/17 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

3/17 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge

Last post Mar 23, 2014 10:13 PM by sgronholz . 33 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) 123
  • Re: 3/17 ~ Cook's Corner Challenge

Janie that recipe is a winner!  I've made that before with haddock.  Let me know how it is with chicken.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

You Got It !

Yes

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Yum, would love to try that one too Janie!

Everything sounds great, thanks guys!

Going to cook my corned beef a day late.

: ^ )

False

Hello everyone. I am back with my recipe this week. I chose Swiss Beer Bread to go with my challenge recipe over on KC of Saucy Sirloin Surprise.

This bread is fantastic. DH could not get enough of it. I followed the recipe to the letter without any substitutions. I even used Jarlsberg cheese. The only thing different is that the bread was done in 35 minutes. I always start checking what I have in the oven early so as not to overbake anything. It is a good thing because it was done perfectly at 35 minutes. Any longer and it would have been too dry. It was delicious and the cheese gives this bread a wonderful flavor.

What more can I say. On to the recipe and my pictures.

Swiss Beer Bread Recipe

This recipe is a favorite because it isn't greasy like other cheese breads I have tried. It will not last long! —Debi Wallace, Chestertown, New York
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
    MAKES: 12 servings

Ingredients

• 4 ounces Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese (I used Jarlsberg)
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer (I used regular beer)
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Nutritional Facts

1 slice equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.

Directions

1. Divide cheese in half. Cut half of cheese into 1/4-inch cubes; shred remaining cheese. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir beer into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
    2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
    3. NOTE:: It was done in 35 minutes.
    Originally published as Swiss Beer Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p129
    You can't go wrong with this bread.
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Your bread looks delicious Joan.  I haven't made beer bread in eons.....and have never made one with cheese.  I have no doubt this one is delicious.

Thanks so much for the recipe and review-your photos have me craving beer bread...Mmmmmm! Wink

Carol

False
    Thank you, Carol. This bread is so cheesy and good. Of course, we ate it while it was still warm. Definitely a winner.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

What a neat challenge; everyone's recipes sound so good! I've never made beer bread Joan, so I definitely want to give that a try sometime! I'm going to make my challenge recipe for supper on Sunday, so I'll report back then. Big Smile

If anyone would like some recommendations, the Chocolate Guinness Cake is awesome (made with Guinness, of course...our son's favorite!) and so is the Rootin' Tootin' Cincinnati Chili (made with root beer).

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rootin--tootin--cincinnati-chili

I'll let you know know how my recipe goes on Sunday night!

False

Sue Gronholz

One of the original 1000 Taste of Home Field Editors and honored to be serving since 1993!

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Since we brew our own beer, I make beer bread a lot. Season beer are great and add a nice twist. But I never thought of adding cheese!! Thanks for the great idea, can't wait to try your recipe. ---- Julie in Maryland
    False

Thank-you Joan, that really does look great and dh would love.

Sgronholz, I had eye-balled both those recipes, especially the cake!

I made the corned beef & cabbage, but want to have it one more night before reviewing. Will be looking forward to using it in Carol's soup recipe too! Plus possibly a nacho recipe Salsa had posted.

False

Big Smile

False

I did make the one I posted, except that it was getting late and I was tired from all the spring cleaning I have been doing last couple of days and I forgot about the onions, so will have to try those next time. Looking back at the recipe, it appears I also forgot to do the grill packs. Good grief. I just grilled mine the regular way. Guess I need to retry this, but at least I got the marinade right. Except that mine only made 1 3/4 c. marinade somehow so there wasn't any leftover for the packs so maybe would use 1 1/2 c. for the ziplock bag next time.

These were good, except I'm not sure they really need all that chili powder. Not sure if it even needs chili powder, but if I make them again will use less chili powder. I'm sure they would be better with the onions. Maybe I will make the onions Sunday or Monday with the leftovers. Thinking of doing some sort of potato side dish and sauerkraut or cabbage to morph the leftovers (LOL).

Brats in Beer

• 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 8 uncooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
    • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
    • 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
    Directions
    1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add bratwurst. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
    2. Add onion to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Fold foil around onion mixture and seal tightly. Drain and discard marinade from bratwurst.
    3. Grill bratwurst and onion, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, turning frequently. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve brats in buns with onion mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
    Originally published as Brats in Beer in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p42

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Sherry, my sis loves her brat cooked in beer then bbq'd. Not a huge fan of brats either, but do need to try them again at least once.

Both dh & I enjoyed this and looking forward even more to the soup I'll make from the leftovers I put in the freezer. We both like corned beef but don't love it, but he did say this was one of the better recipes so yay! I've also never had Guinness Beer so have been enjoying 1 a day since Weds. There is also a killer looing Italian Beef & a hamburger toh beer recipe that I'd love to try soon. If you get a chance check those out!

Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage

Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
    Passed down through multiple generations in our family, this robust corned beef and cabbage recipe is requested often in our house. The Irish stout beer adds excellent richness to the corned beef. Just throw the ingredients together in the slow cooker and let them simmer until delicious!—Karin Brodbeck, Red Hook, New York
    9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours

Ingredients

• 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
    • 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
    • 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
    • 1 small onion, quartered
    • 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
    • 8 whole cloves
    • 6 whole peppercorns
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
    • 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
    • Prepared horseradish

Directions

• In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion.
    • Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
    • Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of
    • cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie
    • securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
    • Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are
    • tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard
    • spice bag.
    • Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef
    • with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.
    Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without horseradish) equals 374 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 1,256 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
    False

cute story about the ginger beer.  It can also be purchased at World Market.  A good friend uses it for upset stomachs.  

False

The World is a Book.  Those who do not travel read only a page.

Joan, I wrote down the recipe for the bread. Sounds and looks wonderful.

False

The World is a Book.  Those who do not travel read only a page.

Joan, may try the bread recipe soon. Sounds good. Jill, I will look at the burger recipe soon maybe. I usually make a crockpot corned beef and cabbage dish that uses a bottle of Irish beer but I like the brand I bought two years ago much better than the one I bought last year so went for a different recipe this year (one from Southern  Living I think....I discovered I like roasted veggies with the corned beef better. Except not parsnips. Have decided it wasn't the way MIL cooked them (although that was gross). I just don'e like parsnips (LOL)

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon